re: favorites of 2002 so far

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2002
      Here's my faves for the first half of 2002. And what the hell, I decided to
      put them in order and seperate out the reissues. If I hadn't seperated out
      the reissues, though, my overall number one album of the year would have
      been the Rocket From The Tombs:

      *New Releases
      1. Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter Reckless Burning
      2. Star Room Boys This World Just Won't Leave You Alone
      3. Supersuckers Must've Been Live
      4. Hank Williams III Lovesick, Broke and Driftin'
      5. Josh Rouse Under Cold Blue Stars
      6. Radio 4 Gotham
      7. Mark Erelli The Memorial Hall Recordings
      8. Neil Halstead Sleeping On Roads
      9. Tom Waits Blood Money/Alice
      10. Tift Merritt Bramble Rose

      *Reissues
      Artist Album Title
      1. Rocket From The Tombs The Day The Earth Met Theā€¦
      2. Townes Van Zandt A Gentle Evening With Townes Van Zandt
      3. Richard Hell Time
      4. John Hartford Steam Powered Aereo-takes
      5. Blasters Testament: The Complete Slash Recordings

      I'm pretty happy with those 15 (ok, 16, I cheated on the Waits) records.
      But there's some stuff coming out later this year that will knock those out
      probably(Gourds, Flaming Lips, Guy Clark, Neko Case, etc.) By the end of
      the year it will be looking really good.

      My favorite rap album so far is the new Blackalicious one, but I haven't had
      it long enough to soak it all in. I haven't heard a really good electronic
      release, though there are a few I still need to pick up (e.g. the Herbaliser
      is sounding pretty good on the radio.) Oh, and what I've heard of the new
      Kronos Quartet album has been sounding really good as well. That's probably
      the next one on my shopping list.

      blah blah blah.
      steve

      --
      Steve Gardner - Topsoil/Haywire - Sun. 12-3pm
      WXDU 88.7FM Durham NC and on the Net at www.wxdu.org
      Fresh Dirt Webzine: www.topsoil.net/freshdirt
      * steve@... **** www.topsoil.net *