Re: [fearnwhiskey] WFMU (was Clip: Butch Morris)

  • cz28
    Message 1 of 68 , Nov 4, 2002
      --On Monday, November 4, 2002 9:30 PM -0500 Steve Gardner
      <steve@...> wrote:

      > I actually have John Zorn's Naked City record and like it. I like how he
      > melds the tuneful with the crazy stuff. I also like how he keeps the
      > really insane cuts down to like 10 seconds. <g>

      Which are mighty distracting when put on shuffle play with CDs including
      longer songs. We had that experience last week and discovered that it
      doesn't mix too well with Blackalicious and Al Green.

      Carl Z.
    • jeffj@blast.net
      Message 68 of 68 , Nov 6, 2002
        Carl W. wrote:
        >So when you open up to
        it it's a bit like mainlining the essence of music into your nervous system.
        It makes melodies and words and verses and choruses seem like trappings -
        often enjoyable and affecting trappings, but still something on top of music
        itself.

        I like Carl's analogy a lot.
        And in adapting it, I see traditional melody and song as an iced layer cake, where as free jazz is raw eggs, milk, flour,
        etc. in a mixing bowl. And I prefer a nice slice of cake to a spoonful of the raw ingredients.

        Jeff J

        This mail sent through IMP: email.blast.net