Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: Clip: Butch Morris

  • mosurock
    Message 1 of 68 , Nov 2, 2002
      I kinda gave up on most of my jazz habits. Outside of the Art Ensemble, Don
      Cherry, Willem Breuker, Von Freeman, Sun Ra, and a handful of others, I
      think I've pretty much heard it all. I do know that Gold Sparkle play
      around town a good bit where gigs are available, but I'm really out of
      touch with that scene.

      Bethany is also DJ at WFMU, now on Sunday nights from 10p-midnight. Give
      her a lissen; she and Doug Schulkind have the only jazz shows on the
      station, and of the two hers is the more Euro-centric.

      doug

    • jeffj@blast.net
      Message 68 of 68 , Nov 6, 2002
        Carl W. wrote:
        >So when you open up to
        it it's a bit like mainlining the essence of music into your nervous system.
        It makes melodies and words and verses and choruses seem like trappings -
        often enjoyable and affecting trappings, but still something on top of music
        itself.

        I like Carl's analogy a lot.
        And in adapting it, I see traditional melody and song as an iced layer cake, where as free jazz is raw eggs, milk, flour,
        etc. in a mixing bowl. And I prefer a nice slice of cake to a spoonful of the raw ingredients.

        Jeff J

        This mail sent through IMP: email.blast.net