new reissues

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2002
      Lots of good-looking compilations and reissues in time for the
      holiday-shopping season. I'm unfamiliar with the Townes Van Zandt _Texas
      Troubador_ set on Snapper -- is it a selection of previously released
      tracks or newly unearthed stuff?

      Carl Z.

      ***

      http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/vault188.shtm

      November 5

      Joey Baron, Tim Berne and Hank Roberts Miniature (Winter and Winter)

      Shirley Bassey Sings Bond (Capitol)

      Björk Family Tree (six-CD box set) and Greatest Hits (One Little
      Indian/Elektra)

      Camper Van Beethoven Cigarettes and Carrot Juice: The Santa Cruz Years
      (five CDs) (spinART/Cooking Vinyl)

      Tony Conrad with Faust Outside the Dream Syndicate (two CDs) (Table of
      Elements)

      Sam Cooke & the Soul Stirrers Complete Specialty Recordings of (Fantasy)

      D.O.A. Hardcore '81 (Sudden Death)

      Chris Thomas King A Young Man's Blues (HighTone)

      King Curtis/Champion Jack Dupree Blues at Montreux (Collectables)

      John Lennon Mind Games (Capitol/EMI)

      Miriam Makeba In Concert/Pata Pata/Makeba (three-fer) (Collectables)

      Parliament Funked Up: The Very Best of (Mercury)

      Wilson Pickett The Exciting... (Collectables)

      Redd Kross Neurotica (w/bonus tracks) (Five Foot Two/Oglio)

      John Renbourn Faro Annie (Sanctuary/Castle)

      Sly & the Family Stone The Essential (two CDs) (Epic/Legacy)

      Big Joe Turner Boss of the Blues (Collectables)

      Townes Van Zandt Texas Troubadour (four CDs) (Snapper)

      SACD The Zombies Greatest Hits (Audio Fidelity)

      November 12

      Bruce Cockburn Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws, Further Adventures of, In the
      Falling Dark, Inner City Front, Live and The Trouble with Normal (Rounder)

      Jimi Hendrix Blue Wild Angel: Live at the Isle of Wight (Experience
      Hendrix/MCA)

      Bill Hicks Flying Saucer Tour Vol. 1 - The Funny Bone, Pittsburgh '91 and
      Love, Laughter & Truth (Rykodisc)

      Rick James Street Songs (Motown)

      Louis Prima and Wingy Manone The Complete Brunswick and Vocalion Recordings
      1924-1937 (six CDs) (Mosaic)

      Siouxsie & the Banshees The Best of (w/limited edition second disc) (Geffen)

      November 19

      Asleep at the Wheel 20 Greatest Hits (Capitol Nashville)

      Michael Bloomfield Knockin' Myself Out - The Blues Collection (Fuel 2000)

      Ray Brown Best of the Concord Years (two CDs) (Concord Jazz)

      Eric Burdon Not an Animal Anymore (Sanctuary/Castle)

      Elvis Costello Armed Forces, Imperial Bedroom and Mighty Like a Rose
      (Warner Archives/Rhino)

      The Fall The Light User Syndrome (Sanctuary/Castle)

      Bryan Ferry Classic Masters (Virgin)

      Spike Jones Omnibust/60 Years of Music America Hates Best (two-fer)
      (Taragon)

      Nazz Anthology (Sanctuary)

      Harry Nilsson The Point! (w/four unreleased alternate versions) (RCA)

      The O'Jays Classic Masters (The Right Stuff)

      Lee "Scratch" Perry The Wonderman Years (two CDs) (Sanctuary/Trojan)

      The Specials The Best of (Chrysalis)

      The Walkabouts Watermarks: Selected Songs 1991-2002 (Innerstate)

      Ron Wood Retrospective (The Right Stuff/Virgin)

      Dwight Yoakam Reprise Please Baby: The Warner Bros. Years (four CDs) (Rhino)

      VA Flashing Echo-Trojan in Dub 1970-1980 (two CDs) (Sanctuary/Trojan)

      VA Funky Kingston (Reggae Dance Floor Grooves 1968-1974) (Sanctuary/Trojan)

      DVD Criterion Collection: The Complete Monterey Pop Festival (three discs)
      (Home Vision)

      DVD Duke Ellington Memories of Duke (Gary Keys/Music Video Distributors)

      DVD Sex Pistols Classic Album: Never Mind the Bollocks (Eagle Vision/Red)

      DVD Audio R.E.M. Automatic for the People (Warner Bros.)

      SACD Bruce Cockburn Anything Anytime Anywhere (Singles 1979-2002) (Rounder)

      SACD Alison Krauss & Union Station New Favorite (Rounder)

      SACD Grant-Lee Phillips Mobilize (Zoë/Rounder)

      November 26

      Jeff Buckley The Grace EPs (five-CD box set) (Columbia)

      Bob Dylan Bootleg Series, Vol. 5 - Live 1975: The Rolling Thunder Revue
      (limited edition DVD will include two cuts from the tour) (Columbia/Legacy)

      Bill Evans Arc Light (Fuel 2000)

      Howlin' Wolf The London Sessions - Deluxe Edition (two CDs) (MCA/Chess)

      Wes Montgomery The Quintessential (Fuel 2000)

      DVD The Jam The Complete (Interscope)

      SACD Steve Earle Guitar Town (MCA Nashville)

      SACD Quincy Jones Ultimate Collection (Hip-O)
    • samchecker
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

        > Bill Hicks Flying Saucer Tour Vol. 1 - The Funny Bone, Pittsburgh
        '91 and
        > Love, Laughter & Truth (Rykodisc)

        Yahoo! I just finished reading American Scream, a bio on Hicks. It's
        not like it's really well written or anything, but Cynthia True, the
        author, did a good job interviewing all the people in Hicks' short
        life, and any info is better than nothing. I'll definitely be snagging
        this puppy, along with that new David Cross CD on Sub Pop.

        > DVD Sex Pistols Classic Album: Never Mind the Bollocks (Eagle
        Vision/Red)

        What the hell is this? Even Eagle Vision's site makes no mention of
        this release...

        Mark
      • Dave Purcell
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 4, 2002
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:

          > > DVD Sex Pistols Classic Album: Never Mind the Bollocks (Eagle
          > Vision/Red)
          >
          > What the hell is this? Even Eagle Vision's site makes no mention of
          > this release...

          Their Classic Album take on the making of The Joshua Tree was
          fantastic. Lanois sitting in front of the mixing board playing
          different mixes, Edge playing the original 4-track demo of "Where The
          Streets...", good stuff.

          dp
        • arsenault_marie
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 4, 2002
            >along with that new David Cross CD on Sub Pop.

            I just listened to most of it over the weekend. Overall, it's kind of
            hit or miss. When he's on, though, he's funny as hell.

            > > DVD Sex Pistols Classic Album: Never Mind the Bollocks (Eagle
            > Vision/Red)

            I noticed that there's a whole series of these Classic Albums dvds. A
            few of them seem pretty interesting in theory, but I was wondering
            about the quality. Anyone seen any of them?

            Classic Albums - The Who: Who's Next (1999)
            Classic Albums - Bob Marley and the Wailers: Catch a Fire (1999)
            Classic Albums - Stevie Wonder: Songs in the Key of Life (1997)
            Stevie Wonder, et al.
            Classic Albums - The Band: The Band (1997)
            Classic Albums - Fleetwood Mac: Rumours (1977)
            Classic Albums - Jimi Hendrix: Electric Ladyland (1997)
            Classic Albums - Lou Reed: Transformer (2001)
            Classic Albums - Elvis Presley: Elvis Presley (2002)
            Elvis Presley, et al.
          • Carl Abraham Zimring
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 1, 2003
              http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/vault190.shtm

              January 7

              Eek-a-Mouse The Very Best of, Volume 2 (Shanachie)

              Duke Ellington Treasury Shows, Volume Six (two CDs) (D.E.T.S.)

              Jorma Kaukonen Quah (w/bonus tracks) (RCA)

              New Order Retro (four-CD box set) (Warner/Qwest)

              Elvis Presley Can't Help Falling in Love, Elvis '56, Great Country and
              Heart and Soul (RCA)

              January 14

              Johnny Cash Silver (Columbia/Legacy)

              Lester Flatt and the Nashville Grass The Essential (CMH)

              Richie Furay Dance a Little Light, I Still Have Dreams and I've Got a
              Reason (Wounded Bird)

              Gang of Four Hard/Solid Gold (two-fer) (Wounded Bird)

              Marvin Gaye Love Songs: His Greatest Duets, Let's Get It On, What's Going
              On (Motown) and Love Songs(Columbia/Legacy)

              George Gershwin The Essential (Columbia/Legacy)

              Dexter Gordon Timeless (Savoy Jazz)

              Stephane Grappelli Timeless (Savoy Jazz)

              Green on Red Gravity Talks (Wounded Bird)

              George Jones Love Songs (Epic/Legacy)

              Janis Joplin The Essential (two CDs; w/previously unreleased material)
              (Columbia/Legacy)

              Peggy Lee Love Songs (MCA/Decca/UME)

              The O'Jays Love Songs (previously titled Beautiful Ballads) (Epic/Legacy)

              Big Joe Turner Shake, Rattle & Roll (Tomato)

              Townes Van Zandt Flyin' Shoes and Our Mother the Mountain (Tomato)

              Tammy Wynette Love Songs (Epic/Legacy)

              Lester Young Timeless (Savoy Jazz)

              DVD Audio Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac Live at the BBC (Silverline)
              SACD The Byrds Fifth Dimension (Columbia/Legacy)

              SACD Sonny Clark Sonny Clark Trio (Audio Fidelity)

              SACD John Lee Hooker Boogie Chillen': Original 1948-1954 Blues Masterpieces
              (Audio Fidelity)

              SACD OST O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Lost Highway)

              January 21

              Louis Armstrong and Red Allen The Jubilee Shows, Volume Seven
              (Jubilee/Storyville)

              Louis Armstrong, Benny Carter, Lena Horne and the Charioteers The Jubilee
              Shows, Volume Six (Jubilee/Storyville)

              Richard Buckner Richard Buckner (Overcoat)
              [Does anyone know what this is?]

              The Clean Anthology (two CDs) (Merge)

              Xavier Cugat The King Plays Some Aces/Cugat in Spain (two-fer)
              (Collectables)

              Eurythmics In the Garden (RCA)

              Green on Red Green on Red/Gas Food Lodging (two-fer) (Rykodisc/Restless)

              Louis Jordan Jumpin' and Jivin' at Jubilee (1943 and '44 radio appearances)
              (Collectors' Choice)

              Richard Lloyd Alchemy (Collectors' Choice)

              Bob Log III Log Bomb (Fat Possum)

              The Mendoza Line If They Knew This Was the End (w/bonus tracks) (Bar/None)

              Old Regular Baptists Songs of: Lined-Out Hymnody from South Eastern
              Kentucky, Vol. 2 (Smithsonian Folkways)

              Bob Ostertag Say No More (two CDs) (Seeland)

              Robert Pollard Motel of Fools (Fading Captain Series)

              Rasputina The Lost and Found 2nd Edition (w/bonus tracks) (Instinct)

              Django Reinhardt 1910-1953 (Collectables)

              Tom Verlaine Tom Verlaine (Collectors' Choice)

              Joe Wilder The Pretty Sound/Jazz from Peter Gunn (two-fer) (Collectables)

              VA Alligator Records Presents: Crucial Chicago Blues, Crucial Guitar Blues
              and Crucial Harmonica Blues (Alligator)

              DVD The Everly Brothers Live from the Royal Albert Hall (Image
              Entertainment)

              January 28

              Monty Alexander, Ray Brown and Herb Ellis Straight Ahead: Trio/Overseas
              Special (two-fer) (Concord Jazz)

              George Clinton & P-Funk All Stars Six Degrees of P-Funk: The Best of George
              Clinton & His Funky Family (Epic/Legacy)

              Herb Ellis, Joe Pass, Ray Brown and Jake Hanna Arrival: Jazz/Concord/Seven,
              Come Eleven (two-fer) (Concord Jazz)

              Faith No More This Is It: The Best of (Rhino)

              Ella Fitzgerald 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection (Hip-O) and
              For Lovers (Verve)

              Al Green Love Songs Collection (The Right Stuff)

              Clifford Jordan and John Gilmore Blowing in from Chicago (RVG Edition)
              (Blue Note)

              B.B. King Jazz Casuals (Rhino)

              Jerry Lee Lewis 16 Thrillers from the Killer (Fuel 2000)

              Mississippi Fred McDowell Heritage of the Blues (HighTone)

              Graham Parker King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents (recorded in 1983) (King
              Biscuit)

              Pharoah Sanders Live (Evidence)

              Townes Van Zandt Delta Momma Blues and For the Sake of the Song (Tomato)

              Sarah Vaughan For Lovers (Verve)

              Bill Withers Menagerie (w/three bonus tracks) and Still Bill
              (Columbia/Legacy)

              The Yardbirds Five Live Yardbirds: Expanded Edition (Fuel 2000)

              VA The Great Tomato Singer Songwriter Collection (Tomato)

              OST O Brother, Where Art Thou? (enhanced) (Lost Highway)

              DVD Willie Dixon I Am the Blues (Music Video Distributors)

              DVD George Harrison The Quiet One (Waterfall/Music Video Distributors)

              DVD Audio The Band Music from Big Pink (Capitol)

              DVD Audio Blue Öyster Cult A Long Day's Night (Silverline)

              DVD Audio Jack Bruce Shadows in the Air (Silverline)

              DVD Audio Dizzy Gillespie Matrix (Silverline)

              DVD Audio Bob Marley Soul Rebels (Silverline)

              DVD Audio Motörhead Ace of Spades (Silverline)

              DVD Audio R.E.M. Document (I.R.S./EMI)
            • Christopher Knaus
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2003
                At 09:11 01/01/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                >Bob Log III Log Bomb (Fat Possum)

                Bob Log 3 on Fat Possum? Sheesh.

                And is there any point to DVD audio?

                Happy 2003
                CK

                Last call for big candy on a pole-stick.
              • samchecker <oneriot@oneriot.com>
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...>
                  wrote:

                  > Green on Red Gravity Talks (Wounded Bird)

                  I listened to this on vinyl over at John Wendland's house over the
                  summer, and much as it pains me to say it, except for the title track
                  this sucker just does not hold up 15-20 years later (I can't remember
                  the original release date, but it had to have been mid-80's). After
                  "Gravity Talks" spins, there's not an interesting tune on it. Man,
                  maybe they peaked with their EP on Down There... Come to think of it,
                  except for the Dream Syndicate (who peaked with their first
                  long-player on Ruby/Slash), all the Down There bands did their best
                  work on that label.

                  Mark
                • Jeff J <jeffj@blast.net>
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
                    Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
                    G on R eps.

                    Speaking of Ruby, I'd love to see a proper collection of the
                    Flesheaters and Divine Horsemen. Of course, recognizing the
                    "difficult" quality of Chris D's vocals, I'm probably in the minority
                    there, but the John Doe/Dave Alvin presence could be a selling
                    point. And unfortunately, most of the Divine Horsmen's output
                    (much of which rocks in a Shiners kinda way) came out on SST.
                    so, as with Husker Du, I'm not holding my breath for that to come
                    out. If I ever get my shit together, I owe a number of folks a Divine
                    Horsemen cd-r.

                    Jeff J, recalling a Divine Horsemen/ Flaming Lips double bill at a
                    tiny club on NY's westside. Damn, I'm old.

                    --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "samchecker
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff J <jeffj@b...>"
                      <jeffj@b...> wrote:
                      > Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
                      > G on R eps.

                      I'm pretty sure the first True West release was on Down There. Other
                      than that...maybe Thin White Rope? I dunno, but I bet Dr. CAZ or Mock
                      the DJ would know.

                      Mark
                    • brad_bechtel <bbechtel@leapfrog.com>
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
                        > > Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
                        > > G on R eps.

                        Top Jimmy and the Rhythym Pigs, "Pigus Drunkus Maximus"
                        Naked Prey, "Naked Prey"
                      • czimring <cz28@andrew.cmu.edu>
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
                          <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                          > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff J <jeffj@b...>"
                          > <jeffj@b...> wrote:
                          > > Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
                          > > G on R eps.
                          >
                          > I'm pretty sure the first True West release was on Down There.
                          Other
                          > than that...maybe Thin White Rope? I dunno, but I bet Dr. CAZ or
                          Mock
                          > the DJ would know.

                          It wasn't Thin White Rope; they (with American Music Club) were
                          cornerstones of the Frontier/Grifter label (well, Grifer was just Tom
                          Mallon's imprint on Frontier). Maybe the Three O'Clock or some of
                          Wynn's other running buddies....Paul?

                          Carl Z.
                        • Dave Purcell
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
                            I was curious too, so I checked out allmusic.com. According to them,
                            Down There had:

                            - Top Jimmy & the Rhythm Pigs (2)
                            - Doctor's Children (2)
                            - Divine Weeks (2)
                            - Russ Tolman (2)
                            - Naked Prey (2)
                            - Green on Red (2)
                            - Dream Syndicate (2)

                            dp

                            > > Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
                            > > G on R eps.
                            >
                            > I'm pretty sure the first True West release was on Down There.
                            Other
                            > than that...maybe Thin White Rope? I dunno, but I bet Dr. CAZ or
                            Mock
                            > the DJ would know.

                            It wasn't Thin White Rope; they (with American Music Club) were
                            cornerstones of the Frontier/Grifter label (well, Grifer was just Tom
                            Mallon's imprint on Frontier). Maybe the Three O'Clock or some of
                            Wynn's other running buddies....Paul?

                            Carl Z.

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • czimring <cz28@andrew.cmu.edu>
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
                              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Purcell" <dave@p...> wrote:
                              > I was curious too, so I checked out allmusic.com. According to them,
                              > Down There had:
                              >
                              > - Top Jimmy & the Rhythm Pigs (2)
                              > - Doctor's Children (2)
                              > - Divine Weeks (2)
                              > - Russ Tolman (2)

                              And Tolman's Innerstate (a label he runs with Pat Thomas) distributed
                              _Here Come the Miracles_ in the US. We have a couple of his solo
                              albums at WRCT; I'll see if either is a Down There release the next
                              time I'm in the station.