Re: Sunny Border Blue

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 26 , May 20, 2002
      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
      > She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!
      >
      > laura

      Really? Who's in the band? I eagerly await this one...

      Carl
    • Laura A. Watt
      Message 2 of 26 , May 20, 2002
        Same band, I'm pretty sure -- I've not been following the latest
        news, but I'm sure there's plenty of info on the website,
        http://www.throwingmusic.com

        The new Works in Progress is up and waiting to be subscribed to, too
        -- there have been three songs so far, two of which she more or less
        said "this is when i knew it was going to have to be a Muses
        record"...

        full of incomplete information,
        laura
      • czimring
        Message 3 of 26 , May 20, 2002
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
          > full of incomplete information,
          > laura

          Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
          that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and they
          aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo set
          at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

          Carl
        • wfsilvers
          Message 4 of 26 , May 20, 2002
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> replied to my MoL :

            > > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for
            Vulgar Boatmen spin-offs

            > Did they put a record out last year, Bill?

            Yup, October 23rd (if the AMG is to be believed). It's called DISTANT
            RELATIVE and it's self-released, which is probably why it flew way
            under my radar till this spring (and even then I kept forgetting about
            it...I've finally got a copy on order, and I'll report back once i've
            heard it). The MoL website appears to be down
            ( members.aol.com/autobeatnik/ )
            which might have a little something to do with the massive buzz the
            record isn't getting.

            > If you bring in the Silos, that's quite a fertile family tree.

            Yeah, though The Silos are sort of the older brother of the Boatmen,
            which makes them an uncle to MoL, unless they're an aunt...I'm getting
            all confused now. If you bring MoL's Antenna mom into it, and the
            Blake Babies grandma (or is it aunt?), well, I'm getting all confused.
            <g>

            b.s.
          • lmerlin01
            Message 5 of 26 , May 20, 2002
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

              > Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
              > that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and
              they
              > aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo
              set
              > at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

              Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
              Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
              about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
              one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
              so I can play it now?

              Carl asked about Jesse Sykes. Yes, she's from Seattle and plays with
              a band called the Sweet Hereafter with her boyfriend Phil, the
              grumpy one who played with Whiskeytown <g>. I really like most of
              the record, very melodic, sad, although her voice won't be for
              everyone. Check, check , check it out!

              Lisa
            • Laura A Watt
              Message 6 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                Lisa wrote:

                >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                >so I can play it now?

                It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                fan ever since.

                A massive poll was recently done via the TM website to determine
                folks' favorite songs, which I believe Billy is going to use in part
                to great a "greatest hits" sort of thing at some point -- to see the
                poll results, go to

                http://www.solace.net/musings/BestMusesSongs.htm

                I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                others in the next ten.

                waking up to hooks in my head,
                laura
              • czimring
                Message 7 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Laura A Watt <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                  > Lisa wrote:
                  >
                  > >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                  > >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                  > >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                  > >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                  > >so I can play it now?
                  >
                  > It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                  > called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                  > it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                  > fan ever since.

                  And if you can't track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch
                  of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago.

                  [poll]
                  > I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                  > in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                  > completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                  > others in the next ten.

                  I dig "Hate My Way", but am *shocked* that "Call Me" didn't even make
                  the cut! (Both of those songs are on _Throwing Muses_ and are among
                  my favorite songs of the 1980s.)

                  Carl Z.*

                  *By way of a welcome to Carl Wilson on this list (our first
                  Canadian!), I shall now add an initial to differentiate our posts.