RIP Jam Master Jay

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 30, 2002
      I just heard the news & sadly the AP has confirmed it.

      Carl Z.

      ***

      http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts/AP-Rapper-Killed.html

      Jam Master Jay Dies in Shooting
      By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

      NEW YORK (AP) -- Jam Master Jay, part of the pioneering rap trio Run DMC,
      was shot and killed Wednesday at a recording studio in Queens, a law
      enforcement source told The Associated Press.

      The shooting happened on Merrick Boulevard in the Jamaica section of
      Queens, said the source, who requested anonymity. Television reports said
      Run DMC fans were already gathering at the scene, some hugging each other
      and crying.
    • Jason E Baldwin
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
        Carl Z. wrote:

        < I just heard the news & sadly the AP has confirmed it.

        That's awful. A couple weeks ago, I grew tired of the 30 or 40 CDs I'd been
        playing in rotation at work; for a change, I played Run DMC's RAISING HELL and
        the new-ish Greatest Hits comp, and it reminded me how much I used to love those
        guys. I've never been much of a fan of rap or hip-hop in general, but when I was
        a kid, I had RAISING HELL and LL Cool J's WALKING WITH THE PANTHER (or whatever
        it was called) and played the hell out of those cassettes. They're still
        floating around here somewhere.

        Sad news, indeed.

        -Jason
      • Dave Purcell
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
          Sad news, indeed. Run DMC was so fresh and different (at least to a
          white Kentucky kid's ears) when they first came out. I'd heard a lot
          of early Kurtis Blow and Grandmaster Flash thanks to a friend's big
          brother, an avid record collector who turned me onto punk my frosh
          year in high school. But Run DMC was somehow harder and more
          accessible at the same time. They blew us all away.

          I'd throw early Kool Moe Dee in there too, Jason. Good stuff.

          dp

          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Jason E Baldwin" <jebaldwin@i...> wrote:

          > That's awful. A couple weeks ago, I grew tired of the 30 or 40 CDs
          I'd been
          > playing in rotation at work; for a change, I played Run DMC's
          RAISING HELL and
          > the new-ish Greatest Hits comp, and it reminded me how much I used
          to love those
          > guys. I've never been much of a fan of rap or hip-hop in general,
          but when I was
          > a kid, I had RAISING HELL and LL Cool J's WALKING WITH THE PANTHER
          (or whatever
          > it was called) and played the hell out of those cassettes. They're
          still
          > floating around here somewhere.
          >
          > Sad news, indeed.
          >
          > -Jason
        • Jeff J
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Dave Purcell" <dave@p...> wrote:
            > Sad news, indeed.

            Yes, it is sad news. But why it's front-page news in today's NY dailies and the lead-off story on last
            night's 10 and 11 pm newscasts (one station giving it more airtime than the Wellstone death which didn't
            even lead off that night's newscast) is beyond me. This country sure has its priorities screwed up.

            Jeff J
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
              --On Thursday, October 31, 2002 6:11 AM -0500 Jason E Baldwin
              <jebaldwin@...> wrote:

              > A couple weeks ago, I grew tired of the 30 or 40 CDs I'd been
              > playing in rotation at work; for a change, I played Run DMC's RAISING
              > HELL and the new-ish Greatest Hits comp, and it reminded me how much I
              > used to love those guys. I've never been much of a fan of rap or hip-hop
              > in general, but when I was a kid, I had RAISING HELL and LL Cool J's
              > WALKING WITH THE PANTHER (or whatever it was called) and played the hell
              > out of those cassettes. They're still floating around here somewhere.

              I went to a large high school with a pretty diverse population, but one
              thing seemingly everyone had in common was having copies of _Raising Hell_
              my senior year. The record was so popular that even my algebra teacher
              could recite "Proud to Be Black" from memory. I'm still a little baffled
              that Aereosmith's career took off again after "Walk This Way" while Run-DMC
              lost momentum, because they seemed to be as big as it got in 1986.

              Carl Z.
            • Lance Davis
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                > This country sure has its priorities
                > screwed up ... Jeff J

                America?? ... screwed up priorities?? .... nawww ... say it
                ain't so, Jeff!!!

                Lance

                =====
                "President Bush tells us that civilization is at stake and that we're at war, but apparently it's a war that we can win so easily that all we have to do to help win it is shop, eat out and travel. They don't ask you to sacrifice because one of the major things they'd ask you to sacrifice is oil, but it's oil money that put Bush into office."
                --Bill Maher

                HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                  --On Thursday, October 31, 2002 1:42 PM +0000 Jeff J <jeffj@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Yes, it is sad news. But why it's front-page news in today's NY dailies
                  > and the lead-off story on last night's 10 and 11 pm newscasts (one
                  > station giving it more airtime than the Wellstone death which didn't
                  > even lead off that night's newscast) is beyond me. This country sure has
                  > its priorities screwed up.

                  That might be a local thing for NYC, as the Pittsburgh news put it ten
                  minutes in for about 10 seconds last night. Wellstone's memorial service
                  was apparently carried live in its entirity by the Minneapolis stations, so
                  I'd chalk the varying coverage up to regional mourning.

                  Is it me, or are a disproportionate number of people I admire sick and/or
                  dying these days? This is the worst, most morbid year I can remember in a
                  long time.

                  Carl Z.
                • Jeff J
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                    > America?? ... screwed up priorities?? .... nawww ... say it
                    > ain't so, Jeff!!!

                    Well, I don't know how America would have survived without the Post's front page expose on James
                    Gandolfini's secret drug and alcohol detox treatment. Of course, the Post's readership is up 8 or 9
                    percent in the last year.

                    Ooops, I forgot. This is a music list. Sorry about that.

                    CMJ starts tonight! Woohoo! Looks like I'm gonna miss it all. I am curious about the new (and the old)
                    Swedish, etc. bands playing this weekend- Division Of Laura Lee, Hot Sahara Nights, Flaming Sideburns.
                    Anybody see 'em live? Any comments?

                    Jeff J
                  • samchecker
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Jeff J" <jeffj@b...> wrote:

                      > CMJ starts tonight! Woohoo! Looks like I'm gonna miss it all. I am
                      curious about the new (and the old)
                      > Swedish, etc. bands playing this weekend- Division Of Laura Lee, Hot
                      Sahara Nights, Flaming Sideburns.
                      > Anybody see 'em live? Any comments?

                      I really like the Sahara Hotnights and D.O.L.L. CD's, but I'm curious
                      about how they carry it off onstage, too. Reports, we want reports!

                      Mark
                    • Christopher Knaus
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                        >Hey there,

                        >CMJ starts tonight! Woohoo! Looks like I'm gonna miss it all. I am curious
                        >about the new (and the old)
                        >Swedish, etc. bands playing this weekend- Division Of Laura Lee, Hot
                        >Sahara Nights, Flaming Sideburns.
                        >Anybody see 'em live? Any comments?
                        >
                        >Jeff J

                        Assuming you mean Sahara Hotnights, saw 'em as SXSW, good garage punk rawk
                        stuff, knowing your style, I think you'll dig it.

                        Later...
                        CK

                        Last call for big candy on a pole-stick.
                      • Jeff J
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Christopher Knaus <soda@n...> wrote:
                          > Assuming you mean Sahara Hotnights, saw 'em as SXSW, good garage punk rawk
                          > stuff, knowing your style, I think you'll dig it.

                          Actually, I was more curious about Hot Sahara Nights. I think it might be playing on the Spice Channel
                          tonight. Too bad I don't have a satellite dish.

                          Jeff J
                        • Wilson, Carl
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                            I really don't think it's a matter of screwed-up priorities, Jeff. In fact I
                            think it's surprisingly sensitive to the place of Run-DMC in the culture.

                            As admirable and important as Wellstone was, his was a struggling and lonely
                            voice that's getting a lot more attention and respect in death than it did
                            in life. Run-DMC was one of the key forces in bringing hip-hop culture to
                            America at large, and for better and for worse, hip-hop culture has changed
                            life in America in a pervasive way - for a lot of people under or around 30
                            now (myself not included, if that's not obvious) it *is* the culture. And
                            Run-DMC also represented the best, most community-building elements of
                            hip-hop, and became elder statesmen who stood outside the thuggism and
                            dysfunction that came to dominate the form, and in a much more mainstream
                            and populist way than all the "alternative" positive-minded rappers who
                            followed. Except maybe Public Enemy, it's hard to name anyone more vital to
                            the evolution of hip-hop culture.

                            So, for much of America this is front-page news, just as deservedly as
                            Elvis's or John Lennon's deaths. It's more important than, for instance,
                            Aaliyah's death last year, which got a far more disproportionate level of
                            attention. And certainly more important (if less preternaturally compelling,
                            somehow) than Winona Ryder's shoplifting case, which made a lot of front
                            pages this week.

                            Compare the attention given to Winona to the frequently grudging-seeming
                            mainstream attention given to the deaths of Biggie Smalls and, especially,
                            Tupac, whose demise was arguably one of the biggest milestones of the decade
                            for black youth. Tupac's story probably resonated more deeply with more
                            people than Kurt Cobain's really did, but which one pervades media memory
                            more?

                            All of which is to say Wellstone was a cult hero, and damn straight he
                            deserved it. But Run-DMC are folk heroes, and there's nothing wrong with
                            honoring that.

                            carl w.
                          • Nina Melechen
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Wilson, Carl" <cwilson@g...> wrote:
                              > I really don't think it's a matter of screwed-up priorities

                              I agree with most of what you've written. This bit:

                              > Tupac, whose demise was arguably one of the biggest milestones of
                              the decade
                              > for black youth. Tupac's story probably resonated more deeply with
                              more
                              > people than Kurt Cobain's really did

                              makes me wonder, though. I have no information at all about how many
                              people felt personally affected by those two deaths. I'm astounded by
                              the similarities in the ways popular imagination has transformed them
                              both. Especially the proliferation of conspiracy theories: Courtney
                              really killed Kurt; Sug Knight killed Tupac; no, Tupac isn't really
                              dead--the impression that these deaths damaged the respective cultures
                              so greatly that there *must* be an explanation or a mitigation is
                              overwhelming. The only thing I can think of that had the same
                              conspiritorial resonance for people my age was "Paul is dead," which,
                              of course, indicated that a lot of people thought the Beatles had
                              taken a Wrong Turn and the culture was following.

                              Nina M.
                            • Jim Caligiuri
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                                I saw Elvis yesterday

                              • Steve Gardner
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                                  > As admirable and important as Wellstone was, his was a struggling and
                                  lonely
                                  > voice that's getting a lot more attention and respect in death than it did
                                  > in life.

                                  Ok, maybe I'm outing myself as a loser (again!) but I'd never heard of that
                                  Wellstone fellow until he died. If you would have asked what Wellstone was
                                  before he died I probably would have said a Cabernet.

                                  But I've heard of Run DMC.

                                  Seeing as how most of America is at least as stupid as I am, I'm betting
                                  that Jam Master Jay's death is on most people's radar way before Mr
                                  Wellstone.

                                  Granted, I pride myself on my political apathy.

                                  steve, who will vote on Tuesday if they let him
                                • Jason E Baldwin
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                                    Steve wrote:

                                    < Ok, maybe I'm outing myself as a loser (again!) but I'd never heard of that
                                    < Wellstone fellow until he died. If you would have asked what Wellstone was
                                    < before he died I probably would have said a Cabernet.
                                    <
                                    < But I've heard of Run DMC.
                                    <
                                    < Seeing as how most of America is at least as stupid as I am, I'm betting
                                    < that Jam Master Jay's death is on most people's radar way before Mr
                                    < Wellstone.
                                    <
                                    < Granted, I pride myself on my political apathy.

                                    That makes two of us, on all the counts you listed.

                                    -Jason
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
                                      This Newsday article gives a good account of Mizell's influence.

                                      Carl Z.

                                      ***

                                      http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-jam,0,6480075.story?coll
                                      =chi%2Dnews%2Dhed&

                                      From Newsday
                                      Police, friends seek motive in rapper's killing
                                      Run-DMC's Jam Master Jay gunned down in N.Y. recording studio

                                      By Melanie Lefkowitz and Curtis Taylor
                                      Newsday
                                      Published October 31, 2002

                                      NEW YORK -- While police investigated whether a feud led to the fatal
                                      shooting of hip-hop pioneer Jam Master Jay, skeptical friends and family
                                      mourned him today and puzzled over the slaying.

                                      "There's no reason," said the victim's teenage son, Jason Mizell Jr. "He
                                      didn't really do anything wrong."

                                      Witnesses said two men in dark clothing were buzzed into the rap star's
                                      second-floor Queens recording studio on Wednesday night, police said. A
                                      single bullet was fired into the head of the Run-DMC co-founder as he
                                      played a video game with another man. Jam Master Jay, whose real name was
                                      Jason Mizell, was 37.

                                      The other man, Uriel Rincon, 25, was shot in the leg and was released from
                                      the hospital today. He was among five witnesses being questioned by police,
                                      said a law enforcement source who spoke on condition of anonymity.

                                      "They're checking out varying theories, including, "Was it the result of a
                                      personal feud? Was it linked to this East Coast-West Coast rappers?' and
                                      other possible motives," the law enforcement source said.

                                      Another source, also speaking anonymously, said: "They're looking at some
                                      sort of dispute, anything from a personal dispute to some kind of rap
                                      rivalry."

                                      Many in the rap industry questioned whether Mizell, known as a family man
                                      and social activist, would ever be caught in a violent flare-up --
                                      especially a coastal feud that seemed to have little to do with him.

                                      "Before the media rushes to attribute this to East Coast-West Coast
                                      violence, they should examine Run-DMC's two decades of contributions and
                                      Jam Master Jay's personal character," said hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons,
                                      whose brother Joseph founded the group with Mizell.

                                      "Rest In Peace Jam Master," Run DMC's official Web site read early today,
                                      underneath a picture of Mizell.

                                      At the scene today, fans placed flowers, candles and remembrance messages
                                      next to a fence. Someone placed an Adidas sneaker -- a reference to the
                                      group's hit song "My Adidas" -- with "R.I.P JMJ" handwritten in marker.

                                      Chuck D, the founder of the hip-hop group Public Enemy, blamed record
                                      companies and the advertising for perpetuating "a climate of violence" in
                                      the rap industry. "When it comes to us, we're disposable commodities," he
                                      said.

                                      Doctor Dre, a New York radio station DJ who had been friends with Mizell
                                      since the mid-1980s, said, "This is not a person who went out looking for
                                      trouble. ... He's known as a person that builds, that creates and is trying
                                      to make the right things happen."

                                      Publicist Tracy Miller said Mizell and McDaniels had planned to perform in
                                      Washington, D.C., on Thursday at a Washington Wizards basketball game.
                                      Mizell had performed on Tuesday in Alabama, she said.

                                      Mizell was married and had three children, she said.

                                      Distraught fans gathered in the cold rain outside the recording studio.
                                      Several cried, while others stood stunned. Still others hugged each other.

                                      "They're the best. They're the pioneers in hip-hop," said fan Arlene Clark,
                                      39, of Hollis.

                                      Another fan who lives nearby, Leslie Bell, 33, said the members of Run DMC
                                      often let local musicians record for free at the studio.

                                      "That was their decision, to stay here and give back to the community,"
                                      Bell said. "He is one great man. The good always die young. He's the good
                                      guy."

                                      Word of Jam Master Jay's death struck hard at those who knew him.

                                      "He's a positive brother, trying to do the right thing in the community,"
                                      said Charles Fischer, who runs the Hip-Hop Youth Summit Network and knew
                                      Jam Master Jay for years. "I hope we can bring to justice whoever shot him,
                                      and I hope other hip-hop artists will rally around this unfortunate
                                      incident and use it to rally against violence in the hip-hop nation and the
                                      community across the country."

                                      Jam Master Jay, 37, who was also a producer, grew up in Hollis, where he
                                      and two childhood friends, Run (Joseph Simmons) and DMC (Darryl McDaniels),
                                      came together to form the seminal 1980s band.

                                      Simmons, the younger brother of Def Jam records founder Russell Simmons,
                                      first approached McDaniels about forming a rap group. The two then added
                                      Jam Master Jay as their DJ in 1982.

                                      The trio popularized the rap genre as well as their signature look: unlaced
                                      Adidas sneakers and heavy gold jewelry.

                                      In his book, "It's Like That: A Spiritual Memoir," Simmons attributed the
                                      group's look to Mizell.

                                      It was 1984 and Mizell was walking down the street in Jamaica after
                                      purchasing some leather pants, a leather jacket, Adidas sneakers, a large
                                      gold rope chain, a black hat and some Gazelle glasses.

                                      All eyes were upon Mizell, Simmons said.

                                      "It was like everybody wanted to snatch something from him because he had
                                      it going on. I mean nobody had everything: the glasses, the leather, the
                                      shoes, and the gold rope," Simmons said. "We were doing well and Jay just
                                      was helping to create a nationwide trend and didn't know it."

                                      The group was indeed doing well.

                                      Their third album, "Raising Hell," was the first rap album to sell more
                                      than a million copies.

                                      The trio continued its trend-setting ways, and in 1986, Run-DMC covered
                                      Aerosmith's 1970s hit "Walk This Way" with lead singer Steven Tyler and
                                      guitarist Joe Perry. The recording helped resurrect Aerosmith's floundering
                                      career and gave Run-DMC a chart-topping single.

                                      Run-DMC went on to become the first rap band to appear on the cover of
                                      Rolling Stone and Spin magazines, as well as "American Bandstand" and
                                      "Saturday Night Live." Their list of firsts included first rap video on MTV
                                      and first rap group to receive gold and platinum albums.

                                      Run-DMC eventually lost its allure, with more hard-core gangsta rap
                                      changing the genre's landscape. When Run-DMC decided to make a comeback
                                      this year, Aerosmith invited the group to perform on its summer tour. Their
                                      most recent album of new material, the long-awaited "Crown Royal," was
                                      released last year.

                                      Staff Writer Sean Gardiner and The Associated Press contributed to this
                                      story.
                                    • Jeff J
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 1, 2002
                                        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Jim Caligiuri" <jcalig@s...> wrote:
                                        > I saw Elvis yesterday

                                        Elvis Presley?! Really? Cool! What kind of drugs were you on at the time?

                                        Jeff J, who recognizes one and only one "Elvis", the rest have to use their full names.