Re: [fearnwhiskey] Sunny Border Blue

  • Laura A. Watt
    Message 1 of 26 , May 20 10:22 AM
      It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
      _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
      than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
      striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
      Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
      haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

      She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!

      laura
    • czimring
      Message 2 of 26 , May 20 10:30 AM
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
        > She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!
        >
        > laura

        Really? Who's in the band? I eagerly await this one...

        Carl
      • Laura A. Watt
        Message 3 of 26 , May 20 10:48 AM
          Same band, I'm pretty sure -- I've not been following the latest
          news, but I'm sure there's plenty of info on the website,
          http://www.throwingmusic.com

          The new Works in Progress is up and waiting to be subscribed to, too
          -- there have been three songs so far, two of which she more or less
          said "this is when i knew it was going to have to be a Muses
          record"...

          full of incomplete information,
          laura
        • czimring
          Message 4 of 26 , May 20 10:57 AM
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
            > full of incomplete information,
            > laura

            Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
            that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and they
            aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo set
            at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

            Carl
          • wfsilvers
            Message 5 of 26 , May 20 1:48 PM
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> replied to my MoL :

              > > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for
              Vulgar Boatmen spin-offs

              > Did they put a record out last year, Bill?

              Yup, October 23rd (if the AMG is to be believed). It's called DISTANT
              RELATIVE and it's self-released, which is probably why it flew way
              under my radar till this spring (and even then I kept forgetting about
              it...I've finally got a copy on order, and I'll report back once i've
              heard it). The MoL website appears to be down
              ( members.aol.com/autobeatnik/ )
              which might have a little something to do with the massive buzz the
              record isn't getting.

              > If you bring in the Silos, that's quite a fertile family tree.

              Yeah, though The Silos are sort of the older brother of the Boatmen,
              which makes them an uncle to MoL, unless they're an aunt...I'm getting
              all confused now. If you bring MoL's Antenna mom into it, and the
              Blake Babies grandma (or is it aunt?), well, I'm getting all confused.
              <g>

              b.s.
            • lmerlin01
              Message 6 of 26 , May 20 10:40 PM
                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

                > Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                > that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and
                they
                > aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo
                set
                > at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                so I can play it now?

                Carl asked about Jesse Sykes. Yes, she's from Seattle and plays with
                a band called the Sweet Hereafter with her boyfriend Phil, the
                grumpy one who played with Whiskeytown <g>. I really like most of
                the record, very melodic, sad, although her voice won't be for
                everyone. Check, check , check it out!

                Lisa
              • Laura A Watt
                Message 7 of 26 , May 21 7:29 AM
                  Lisa wrote:

                  >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                  >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                  >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                  >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                  >so I can play it now?

                  It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                  called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                  it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                  fan ever since.

                  A massive poll was recently done via the TM website to determine
                  folks' favorite songs, which I believe Billy is going to use in part
                  to great a "greatest hits" sort of thing at some point -- to see the
                  poll results, go to

                  http://www.solace.net/musings/BestMusesSongs.htm

                  I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                  in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                  completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                  others in the next ten.

                  waking up to hooks in my head,
                  laura
                • czimring
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 21 2:17 PM
                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Laura A Watt <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                    > Lisa wrote:
                    >
                    > >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                    > >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                    > >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                    > >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                    > >so I can play it now?
                    >
                    > It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                    > called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                    > it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                    > fan ever since.

                    And if you can't track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch
                    of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago.

                    [poll]
                    > I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                    > in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                    > completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                    > others in the next ten.

                    I dig "Hate My Way", but am *shocked* that "Call Me" didn't even make
                    the cut! (Both of those songs are on _Throwing Muses_ and are among
                    my favorite songs of the 1980s.)

                    Carl Z.*

                    *By way of a welcome to Carl Wilson on this list (our first
                    Canadian!), I shall now add an initial to differentiate our posts.