Re: [fearnwhiskey] New Silkworm

  • Patrick Randerson
    Message 1 of 26 , May 20, 2002
      > There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.

      Apparently not. Shows how much I pay attention to anything these days. I
      saw Sunny Border Blue in the store, read some reviews online, and never
      bothered to look at the release date. So yeah, that was a long time ago --
      I need to get out of the lab and into the record store more often.

      I'll just sit down and be quiet...
    • czimring
      Message 2 of 26 , May 20, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Rob Jefferson <jeffer@t...> wrote:
        > Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
        > her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky
        Motel.
        > Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable
        -- but
        > that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with
        it. I
        > still say to pick it up, though.

        It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
        _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
        than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
        striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
        Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
        haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

        Carl
      • Laura A. Watt
        Message 3 of 26 , May 20, 2002
          It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
          _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
          than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
          striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
          Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
          haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

          She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!

          laura
        • czimring
          Message 4 of 26 , May 20, 2002
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
            > She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!
            >
            > laura

            Really? Who's in the band? I eagerly await this one...

            Carl
          • Laura A. Watt
            Message 5 of 26 , May 20, 2002
              Same band, I'm pretty sure -- I've not been following the latest
              news, but I'm sure there's plenty of info on the website,
              http://www.throwingmusic.com

              The new Works in Progress is up and waiting to be subscribed to, too
              -- there have been three songs so far, two of which she more or less
              said "this is when i knew it was going to have to be a Muses
              record"...

              full of incomplete information,
              laura
            • czimring
              Message 6 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                > full of incomplete information,
                > laura

                Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and they
                aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo set
                at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                Carl
              • wfsilvers
                Message 7 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> replied to my MoL :

                  > > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for
                  Vulgar Boatmen spin-offs

                  > Did they put a record out last year, Bill?

                  Yup, October 23rd (if the AMG is to be believed). It's called DISTANT
                  RELATIVE and it's self-released, which is probably why it flew way
                  under my radar till this spring (and even then I kept forgetting about
                  it...I've finally got a copy on order, and I'll report back once i've
                  heard it). The MoL website appears to be down
                  ( members.aol.com/autobeatnik/ )
                  which might have a little something to do with the massive buzz the
                  record isn't getting.

                  > If you bring in the Silos, that's quite a fertile family tree.

                  Yeah, though The Silos are sort of the older brother of the Boatmen,
                  which makes them an uncle to MoL, unless they're an aunt...I'm getting
                  all confused now. If you bring MoL's Antenna mom into it, and the
                  Blake Babies grandma (or is it aunt?), well, I'm getting all confused.
                  <g>

                  b.s.
                • lmerlin01
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

                    > Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                    > that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and
                    they
                    > aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo
                    set
                    > at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                    Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                    Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                    about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                    one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                    so I can play it now?

                    Carl asked about Jesse Sykes. Yes, she's from Seattle and plays with
                    a band called the Sweet Hereafter with her boyfriend Phil, the
                    grumpy one who played with Whiskeytown <g>. I really like most of
                    the record, very melodic, sad, although her voice won't be for
                    everyone. Check, check , check it out!

                    Lisa
                  • Laura A Watt
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                      Lisa wrote:

                      >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                      >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                      >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                      >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                      >so I can play it now?

                      It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                      called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                      it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                      fan ever since.

                      A massive poll was recently done via the TM website to determine
                      folks' favorite songs, which I believe Billy is going to use in part
                      to great a "greatest hits" sort of thing at some point -- to see the
                      poll results, go to

                      http://www.solace.net/musings/BestMusesSongs.htm

                      I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                      in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                      completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                      others in the next ten.

                      waking up to hooks in my head,
                      laura
                    • czimring
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Laura A Watt <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                        > Lisa wrote:
                        >
                        > >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                        > >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                        > >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                        > >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                        > >so I can play it now?
                        >
                        > It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                        > called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                        > it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                        > fan ever since.

                        And if you can't track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch
                        of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago.

                        [poll]
                        > I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                        > in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                        > completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                        > others in the next ten.

                        I dig "Hate My Way", but am *shocked* that "Call Me" didn't even make
                        the cut! (Both of those songs are on _Throwing Muses_ and are among
                        my favorite songs of the 1980s.)

                        Carl Z.*

                        *By way of a welcome to Carl Wilson on this list (our first
                        Canadian!), I shall now add an initial to differentiate our posts.