woo!

  • lauraawatt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2002
      hey carl, just had to send the first official message in your group!
      I'm just hoping the balance is weighted more toward the whiskey than
      the fear...

      laura
    • czimring
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lauraawatt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
        > hey carl, just had to send the first official message in your
        group!
        > I'm just hoping the balance is weighted more toward the whiskey
        than
        > the fear...

        Jeez, that was quick! Okay, this *second* message to the group serves
        to introduce what I want to do. My show being a bit free-association
        when it comes to genres and songs, I thought that it might be fodder
        for some interesting conversation about music. To (almost) start
        things off, here's the playlist for last week's show, heard Monday May
        13 from 7-9pm ET on 88.3 fm in Pittsburgh and www.wrct.org worldwide.
        I've thrown brief comments in about a few songs; further comments,
        questions or arguments are encouraged.

        cheers,
        Carl

        ARTIST / SONG
        water shed 5tet / circuit breaker

        silkworm / (i hope u) don't survive
        gutterball / when you make up your mind
        karl hendricks trio / a boy who plays with dolls
        drive-by truckers / road cases

        sovines / about a hundred years ago
        jon langford / penny arcades
        [One of the folks who are responsible for the name Fear & Whiskey.
        Since this week's show coincided with our periodic BMI logs, airplay
        allegedly makes its way back into royalties for the songwriters.
        Consider this payback for the name.]
        shiners / night owl
        deliberate strangers / homesick for heaven
        [@ Ellsworth Street Fair 5/18.]
        warren zevon / genius
        [From the new _My Ride's Here_, which on first listen is jokier than
        _Life'll Kill Ya_.]

        robbie fulks / mad at a girl
        martin phillips & the chills / premonition
        sue garner / nightfall
        [I heard a rumor that she's going to have a new record out this fall.]
        jack logan /escape clause
        joel phelps / always glide

        victor krummenacher / long way home
        carmaig de forest / coldwater park
        alejandro escovedo / slip
        [@ Three Rivers Arts Festival 6/11.]
        mark eitzel / sleep
        kelly kessler / the salt of your skin
        [I'd say Ms. Kessler's new disc represents the future of alt.country,
        but that would be a lie. The skill necessary to synthesize the
        diverse strands of country on this record, not to mention the ability
        to blend the talents of talents from Robbie Fulks to Kent Kessler,
        just aren't present in enough artists to constitute a movement.
        Instead, I'll call this a welcome release from a unique talent.]

        lonesome bob / i get smarter every drink
        mary janes / junie moon
        [@ Club Cafe 5/18.]
        jim roll / in-flight magazines
        star city / these little pills
        [Jason Lewis did a fine solo version of this last Friday.]
        lonely planet boy / warning song
        [They played what may have been their final show last weekend.]

        boxstep / western exit
        paul kelly / midnight rain
        peter jefferies / ghostwriter
        clodhopper / 1,000 days of shame
        [Is Danny Pearson going to release another record? I really enjoyed
        this Clodhopper disc.]

        american music club / big night
        savage republic / the year of exile
      • wodock
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18, 2002
          Well I guess I'll be the third message...if we keep going like this
          we'll have more messages than the P2 list and someday more than the
          Fluff List.

          Carl are you going to twangfest this year? If so I'll see you there.

          Have fun
          Thom Wodock