New Silkworm

  • Patrick Randerson
    Message 1 of 26 , May 19 6:39 PM
      It's been so long since I've had an earful of fear and whiskey!
      Though when I saw the group name, I thought it was fernwhiskey -- some
      group about making pre-cambrian alcohol or a bunch of washington state
      hippies.

      Anyhow, I'll argue that Firewater is probably the best Silkworm record,
      but I have a hard time picking between the foursome-era Libertine and In
      the West. In the West is rough and raw, and there's some really great
      tracks on it.
      Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
      into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

      Here's hoping that the new one smacks me in the face like In the West did.

      I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
      of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
      long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
      new one worth it?

      I've yet to find any radio in Columbus, OH that gives me my new music fix,
      so I'm stuck with recommendations + Audiogalaxy to tell me what to buy.
    • Rob Jefferson
      Message 2 of 26 , May 20 6:55 AM
        On Sun, 19 May 2002, Patrick Randerson wrote:

        > Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
        > into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

        I really couldn't get into Developer. It was an okay album, but a bit of
        a letdown, since there wasn't much that stood out (except, perhaps, for
        "Ice Station Zebra"). I didn't mind Blueblood too much -- true, it wasn't
        a great album, but it had its share of moments, even if occasionally they
        sounded downright bored. Aside from "Treat the New Guy Right" and the
        Faces cover, I wasn't too keen on Lifestyle. Just seemed...rather
        mediocre for them.

        > I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
        > of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
        > long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
        > new one worth it?

        There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.
        Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
        her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky Motel.
        Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable -- but
        that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with it. I
        still say to pick it up, though.

        And...err...hi, Patrick. Long time no see. :)

        rob
      • Patrick Randerson
        Message 3 of 26 , May 20 6:59 AM
          > There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.

          Apparently not. Shows how much I pay attention to anything these days. I
          saw Sunny Border Blue in the store, read some reviews online, and never
          bothered to look at the release date. So yeah, that was a long time ago --
          I need to get out of the lab and into the record store more often.

          I'll just sit down and be quiet...
        • czimring
          Message 4 of 26 , May 20 10:16 AM
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Rob Jefferson <jeffer@t...> wrote:
            > Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
            > her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky
            Motel.
            > Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable
            -- but
            > that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with
            it. I
            > still say to pick it up, though.

            It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
            _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
            than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
            striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
            Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
            haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

            Carl
          • Laura A. Watt
            Message 5 of 26 , May 20 10:22 AM
              It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
              _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
              than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
              striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
              Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
              haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

              She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!

              laura
            • czimring
              Message 6 of 26 , May 20 10:30 AM
                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                > She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!
                >
                > laura

                Really? Who's in the band? I eagerly await this one...

                Carl
              • Laura A. Watt
                Message 7 of 26 , May 20 10:48 AM
                  Same band, I'm pretty sure -- I've not been following the latest
                  news, but I'm sure there's plenty of info on the website,
                  http://www.throwingmusic.com

                  The new Works in Progress is up and waiting to be subscribed to, too
                  -- there have been three songs so far, two of which she more or less
                  said "this is when i knew it was going to have to be a Muses
                  record"...

                  full of incomplete information,
                  laura
                • czimring
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 20 10:57 AM
                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                    > full of incomplete information,
                    > laura

                    Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                    that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and they
                    aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo set
                    at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                    Carl
                  • wfsilvers
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 20 1:48 PM
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> replied to my MoL :

                      > > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for
                      Vulgar Boatmen spin-offs

                      > Did they put a record out last year, Bill?

                      Yup, October 23rd (if the AMG is to be believed). It's called DISTANT
                      RELATIVE and it's self-released, which is probably why it flew way
                      under my radar till this spring (and even then I kept forgetting about
                      it...I've finally got a copy on order, and I'll report back once i've
                      heard it). The MoL website appears to be down
                      ( members.aol.com/autobeatnik/ )
                      which might have a little something to do with the massive buzz the
                      record isn't getting.

                      > If you bring in the Silos, that's quite a fertile family tree.

                      Yeah, though The Silos are sort of the older brother of the Boatmen,
                      which makes them an uncle to MoL, unless they're an aunt...I'm getting
                      all confused now. If you bring MoL's Antenna mom into it, and the
                      Blake Babies grandma (or is it aunt?), well, I'm getting all confused.
                      <g>

                      b.s.
                    • lmerlin01
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 20 10:40 PM
                        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

                        > Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                        > that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and
                        they
                        > aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo
                        set
                        > at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                        Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                        Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                        about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                        one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                        so I can play it now?

                        Carl asked about Jesse Sykes. Yes, she's from Seattle and plays with
                        a band called the Sweet Hereafter with her boyfriend Phil, the
                        grumpy one who played with Whiskeytown <g>. I really like most of
                        the record, very melodic, sad, although her voice won't be for
                        everyone. Check, check , check it out!

                        Lisa
                      • Laura A Watt
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 21 7:29 AM
                          Lisa wrote:

                          >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                          >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                          >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                          >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                          >so I can play it now?

                          It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                          called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                          it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                          fan ever since.

                          A massive poll was recently done via the TM website to determine
                          folks' favorite songs, which I believe Billy is going to use in part
                          to great a "greatest hits" sort of thing at some point -- to see the
                          poll results, go to

                          http://www.solace.net/musings/BestMusesSongs.htm

                          I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                          in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                          completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                          others in the next ten.

                          waking up to hooks in my head,
                          laura
                        • czimring
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 21 2:17 PM
                            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Laura A Watt <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                            > Lisa wrote:
                            >
                            > >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                            > >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                            > >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                            > >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                            > >so I can play it now?
                            >
                            > It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                            > called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                            > it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                            > fan ever since.

                            And if you can't track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch
                            of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago.

                            [poll]
                            > I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                            > in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                            > completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                            > others in the next ten.

                            I dig "Hate My Way", but am *shocked* that "Call Me" didn't even make
                            the cut! (Both of those songs are on _Throwing Muses_ and are among
                            my favorite songs of the 1980s.)

                            Carl Z.*

                            *By way of a welcome to Carl Wilson on this list (our first
                            Canadian!), I shall now add an initial to differentiate our posts.