Richard Hawley RE: [fearnwhiskey] on the move

  • Hill, Christopher J
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
      > Chris Hill wrote: There are a few train songs on the new
      > Richard Hawley cd,
      > too.
      >
      > And since Chris had just mentioned Sprawl, the Magnetic
      > Fields and the
      > Handsome Family, I think I'd better ask who Richard Hawley is.
      >
      > carlw

      From Amazon (also has sound samples):
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005UF3K/qid=1024062369/sr=8-1/ref=
      sr_8_1/104-6807724-0966333

      ----------
      Debut full length for singer/songwriter who's worked with Longpigs & Pulp,
      the followup to the critically acclaimed self-titled mini album. Q magazine
      gave it 4 stars & said, 'His voice is a deep magnificent thing, rich & deep,
      like Ian McCulloch doing a sad Roy Orbison, and the 11 songs on Late Night
      Final are slow, studied and methodical, full of grace and guitar-plucked
      wonder. Even the happy songs sound sad, but romantically so. This isn't a
      record to prompt tears but goosebumps'. The Guardian UK said, 'This is music
      to rummage through charity shops to, and Hawley's own heart is in the
      easy-listening vinyl you'd find there. No Way Home is shuffling country as
      played by Dean Martin, and Lonely Night takes its desolate atmosphere from
      Elvis's Blue Moon, but for the most part Hawley models his deep, mellifluous
      voice on Frank Sinatra and builds elegant waltzes from tearful melodies and
      subtle brush drums'. 2001
      --------

      Lovely production, too - intimate and velvety. Doesn't feel out of place
      playing on a bright, sunny day.

      Chris
    • czimring
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Hill, Christopher J"
        <christopher.j.hill2@b...> clipped:

        > 'His voice is a deep magnificent thing, rich & deep,
        > like Ian McCulloch doing a sad Roy Orbison, and the 11 songs on Late
        Night
        > Final are slow, studied and methodical, full of grace and guitar-plucked
        > wonder. Even the happy songs sound sad, but romantically so. This
        isn't a
        > record to prompt tears but goosebumps'.

        I'm thinking Tindersticks. Am I far off?

        Carl Z.
      • Hill, Christopher J
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
          Not far off - similar atmospheres. I'd put the two
          together in a cd carousel and not be jarred by the
          transition.