Re: every fucking city

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2002
      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Steve Gardner" <steve@t...> wrote:
      > what album is that song on. that's beautiful. *sniff*
      >
      > steve

      It's on the American version of his latest record _Nothing But a
      Dream_, and on the _Roll On Summer_ EP in Australia. Posting that
      reminded me of a related song from his _Under the Sun_ album called
      "Same Old Walk":

      My house burned down a year ago
      And all your letters and photos I lost them
      Waiting at the terminal
      Suddenly I see you stroll though customs

      You're wearing shades your hair is red
      It used to be light brown
      I nearly didn't recognise you then my heart unwound
      I see you've got the same old walk

      Same old walk
      You've even got the same old talk
      Let's break the bread and pull the cork

      A man is walking is close to you
      You're both wearing Italian shoes and diamonds
      And he looks so satisfied
      A little on the glassy side he's smiling

      You changed the country where you live
      You changed your second name
      The photo on your passport
      But one thing you can't change
      I see you got the same old walk

      Alex says to say hello
      He would've come but had to go to practice
      Things are much the same round here
      You know we've just both fallen for the same actress

      I'm still working on the projects
      I got my books at night
      I woke up at the table
      The house was burning bright
      I was dreaming of the same old walk

      My house burned down a year ago
      Your books your clothes I lost them all
      Waiting at the terminal
      Suddenly I see you strolling through the customs hall

      I don't know why I love you
      I guess it's just because
      The one who thinks he's found you
      Doesn't realise he's lost
      And yes you've got that same old walk

      ***

      The guitar riff by Steve Connolly underneath this lyric is one of the
      most concise and threatening (yet simultaneously poppy) hooks of the
      late 80s.