every fucking city

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13 10:36 AM
      Paul Kelly has one of my recent favorites in this "on the move" category, a
      song called Every Fucking City. FCC dictates prevent me from airing it
      without censoring the chorus, but y'all may get a kick out of the lyrics.

      Carl Z.

      ***

      We argued on the channel train to Paris
      The vin rouge helped us make it sweet again
      But by the time that we got down to Lyon
      Everything I said was wrong and you cursed me in the rain

      We split up for a while in Barcelona
      We met up six days later in Madrid
      I was hoping that the break would make things go a little better
      And for a little while it almost did

      Now I'm in a bar in Copenhagen
      Trying hard to forget your name
      And I'm staring at the label on a bottle of cerveza
      And every fucking city feels the same

      You said to call you when I got to London
      A French girl told me that you'd left a note
      I said to her "I like your accent" and she thought I sounded funny
      So we ended up drinking in Soho

      Foolishly I followed you to Dublin
      Like a ghost I walked the streets of Temple Bar
      And all the bright young things were throwing up their Guinness in the
      gutters
      And once I thought I saw you from afar

      Now I'm in a disco in Helsinki
      And they're playing La Vida Loca once again
      And I can't believe I'm dancing to this crap but I'm a chance here
      Yeah, every fucking city sounds the same

      At a cafe in the port of Amsterdam
      An E-mail from you said you'd gone to Rome
      For a minute I thought maybe but my funds were running low
      And anyway it sounded like you weren't alone

      So I headed north and ended up in Hamburg
      A chilly city suits a troubled soul
      And on the Reeperbahn I paid a woman far too much
      To kick me out before I'd even reached my goal

      Now I'm in a restaurant in Stockholm
      And the waiter here wants me to know his name
      And I can order sandwiches in seven different languages
      But every fucking city looks the same

      Arriverderci, au revoir, aufwiedersen, hasta la vista
      Yeah, every fucking city's just the same
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13 11:38 AM
        what album is that song on. that's beautiful. *sniff*

        steve

      • czimring
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13 12:08 PM
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Steve Gardner" <steve@t...> wrote:
          > what album is that song on. that's beautiful. *sniff*
          >
          > steve

          It's on the American version of his latest record _Nothing But a
          Dream_, and on the _Roll On Summer_ EP in Australia. Posting that
          reminded me of a related song from his _Under the Sun_ album called
          "Same Old Walk":

          My house burned down a year ago
          And all your letters and photos I lost them
          Waiting at the terminal
          Suddenly I see you stroll though customs

          You're wearing shades your hair is red
          It used to be light brown
          I nearly didn't recognise you then my heart unwound
          I see you've got the same old walk

          Same old walk
          You've even got the same old talk
          Let's break the bread and pull the cork

          A man is walking is close to you
          You're both wearing Italian shoes and diamonds
          And he looks so satisfied
          A little on the glassy side he's smiling

          You changed the country where you live
          You changed your second name
          The photo on your passport
          But one thing you can't change
          I see you got the same old walk

          Alex says to say hello
          He would've come but had to go to practice
          Things are much the same round here
          You know we've just both fallen for the same actress

          I'm still working on the projects
          I got my books at night
          I woke up at the table
          The house was burning bright
          I was dreaming of the same old walk

          My house burned down a year ago
          Your books your clothes I lost them all
          Waiting at the terminal
          Suddenly I see you strolling through the customs hall

          I don't know why I love you
          I guess it's just because
          The one who thinks he's found you
          Doesn't realise he's lost
          And yes you've got that same old walk

          ***

          The guitar riff by Steve Connolly underneath this lyric is one of the
          most concise and threatening (yet simultaneously poppy) hooks of the
          late 80s.