Re: autumn songs

  • samchecker
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
      Oh, and since it's unofficial Hitchcock Day, I should mention "Autumn
      Is Your Last Chance", off _I Often Dream of Trains_.

      Mark
    • Wilson, Carl
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
        Autumn Sweater - Yo La Tengo (one of my favourite songs)
        Murder in the Red Barn - Tom Waits ("Road kill has its seasons/ Just like
        anything/ It's possums in the autumn/ And it's farm cats in the spring" -
        deserves play for rhyming possum and autumn! Waits in general is autumn
        music - autumn and noir are pretty closely related in my mind)
        Suburban Autumn Lieutenant - Saint Etienne
        September Song - by Kurt Weill, covered by various, including Lou Reed
        Halloween - Dream Syndicate
        Northern Sky - Nick Drake
        Back to School - Thalia Zedek
        anything by Dirty Three
        any version of "All Along the Watchtower" (extremely autumnal imagery I'd
        say)
        and other songs about thieves
        Catfish Song - Townes van Zandt ("Well, to meet is like springtime/ to
        love's like the summer/ her brown eyes shone for nobody but me/ then autumn
        forever, the fool come a fallin'/ and the rain turned to freezin' inside of
        me." Esp. in Richard Buckner's cover on the promo version of Since --
        Buckner's another quintessentially autumnal singer, I'm thinking especially
        of his memory songs like "This Is Where" or "Li'l Wallet Picture" or "Once")
        Only Him or Me - Townes van Zandt ("Autumn leaves and window panes/ may god
        forgive us if you feel deceived" - another favourite song)
        Autumn List - Willard Grant Conspiracy
        When the Leaves Begin to Fall - Freakwater (on End Time)

        carl w
      • samchecker
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
          OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
          also on that Zombie Heaven box set)

          I knew her when summer was her crown
          And autumn, sad how brown her eyes

          Damn, I love that album.

          Mark

          P.S. Nice catch on that Dream Syndicate tune, Carl W...
        • Matt Benz
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
            Autumn Almanac
            End of the Season

            Kinks
          • Bill Silvers
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
              > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
              > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)

              So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason for
              asking. No, really.

              b.s.
            • chillout@gte.net
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                Has anyone mentioned "October" by U2?
                "October / And the trees are stripped bare /
                Of all they wear / What do I care".
              • samchecker
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Bill Silvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                  > > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                  > > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)
                  >
                  > So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason
                  for
                  > asking. No, really.

                  Nope. You need my address, hint hint?

                  Mark
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                    --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 7:11 PM +0000 samchecker
                    <oneriot@...> wrote:

                    > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Bill Silvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                    >> --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                    >> > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                    >> > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)
                    >>
                    >> So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason
                    > for
                    >> asking. No, really.
                    >
                    > Nope. You need my address, hint hint?

                    Say, Bill, if you have extra copies of that box around, I know a good home
                    for one. Has anyone seen the Blunstone/Argent shows this fall?

                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                      --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 1:54 PM -0400 "Wilson, Carl"
                      <cwilson@...> wrote:

                      <a whole bunch of good suggestions>

                      I think Toronto deserves a radio show programmed by Carl Wilson. Maybe you
                      could stump for a "Sound Opinions"-style show at one of the local stations.

                      ("Sound Opinions" is a Chicago-based show that's been on about three
                      stations over the past couple of decades. It's kind of a Siskel & Ebert of
                      rock criticism, with plenty of music and the occasional interview.)

                      Carl Z.
                      enjoying all the autumn suggestions, and always looking for an excuse to
                      break into the _Nuggets_ box
                    • mosurock
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                        No, but Blunstone's 1971 album "One Year" has been reissued on Sony/Rewind in
                        the UK and is well worth owning. Sad as snakesnot.

                        doug

                        On Tue, 01 Oct 2002 17:07:33 -0400 Carl Zimring <cz28@...> wrote:

                        > --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 7:11 PM +0000
                        > samchecker
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Bill Silvers"
                        > wrote:
                        > >> --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker"
                        > Odyssey and Oracle, and
                        > >>
                        > >> So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed
                        > set? I have a reason
                        > > for
                        > >> asking. No, really.
                        > >
                        > > Nope. You need my address, hint hint?
                        >
                        > Say, Bill, if you have extra copies of that box
                        > around, I know a good home
                        > for one. Has anyone seen the Blunstone/Argent
                        > shows this fall?
                        >
                        > Carl Z.

                        doug mosurak
                        mosurock@...

                        http://www.versioncityrecords.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                          --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 2:12 PM -0700 mosurock
                          <mosurock@...> wrote:

                          > No, but Blunstone's 1971 album "One Year" has been reissued on
                          > Sony/Rewind in the UK and is well worth owning. Sad as snakesnot.

                          I've never heard it. Are the arrangements similar to the Zombies' material?

                          Carl Z.
                        • mosurock
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                            Much, much more lush; some orchestral stuff which takes Nick Drake's work on
                            "Bryter Layter" and glooms it out considerably. He redoes "She Loves the Way
                            They Love Her" confidently and then it's a straight trip to depression city,
                            population = you. A must have, and I can't believe more people hadn't heard
                            it. Argent plays on most of it too, I think.

                            doug

                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                              --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 2:17 PM -0700 mosurock
                              <mosurock@...> wrote:

                              > Much, much more lush; some orchestral stuff which takes Nick Drake's work
                              > on "Bryter Layter" and glooms it out considerably.

                              I think I need to own this. I think WRCT needs to own this as well. Oh
                              Paul...

                              Carl Z.
                            • mosurock
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                maybe WRCT already does ... check the vinyl stacks.