Re: [fearnwhiskey] autumn songs

  • Kelly Kessler
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
      It's a stretch, but the Handsome Family's "The Last" looks at autumn from
      the other side: "When the snow falls in late December, and you think of
      September and the girl you once knew" or something close to that.
    • Lance Davis
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
        September Gurls - Big Star
        Autumn in New York - jazz standard, so take yer pick
        Autumn Leaves - Cannonball Adderly

        =====
        "Now one day this world is gonna curl up and burst
        It's gonna choke on it's own tongue and die of it's own thirst
        Until that day comes our roads will always be long
        But He's left signposts to guide us along."
        --Brent Best

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • mosurock@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
          cat stevens, "the wind"

          On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:20:38 -0700 (PDT) Lance Davis <lwdavis1@...>
          wrote:

          > September Gurls - Big Star
          > Autumn in New York - jazz standard, so take yer
          > pick
          > Autumn Leaves - Cannonball Adderly
          >

          > =====
          > "Now one day this world is gonna curl up and
          > burst
          > It's gonna choke on it's own tongue and die of
          > it's own thirst
          > Until that day comes our roads will always be
          > long
          > But He's left signposts to guide us along."
          > --Brent Best

          doug mosurak
          mosurock@...

          http://www.versioncityrecords.com
        • samchecker
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
            Gotta go for "It's Cold Outside" by Cleveland's own The Choir--it's on
            the Nuggets 4-CD set. I've got Stiv Bators doing it on a Bomp single
            as well.

            Right now it's cold outside
            And the rain is falling down
            And the leaves are turning brown, can't you see
            Right now it's cold outside
            And it's all because of you
            'Cause there's nothing I can do to make you love me

            Mark
          • samchecker
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
              Oh, and since it's unofficial Hitchcock Day, I should mention "Autumn
              Is Your Last Chance", off _I Often Dream of Trains_.

              Mark
            • Wilson, Carl
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                Autumn Sweater - Yo La Tengo (one of my favourite songs)
                Murder in the Red Barn - Tom Waits ("Road kill has its seasons/ Just like
                anything/ It's possums in the autumn/ And it's farm cats in the spring" -
                deserves play for rhyming possum and autumn! Waits in general is autumn
                music - autumn and noir are pretty closely related in my mind)
                Suburban Autumn Lieutenant - Saint Etienne
                September Song - by Kurt Weill, covered by various, including Lou Reed
                Halloween - Dream Syndicate
                Northern Sky - Nick Drake
                Back to School - Thalia Zedek
                anything by Dirty Three
                any version of "All Along the Watchtower" (extremely autumnal imagery I'd
                say)
                and other songs about thieves
                Catfish Song - Townes van Zandt ("Well, to meet is like springtime/ to
                love's like the summer/ her brown eyes shone for nobody but me/ then autumn
                forever, the fool come a fallin'/ and the rain turned to freezin' inside of
                me." Esp. in Richard Buckner's cover on the promo version of Since --
                Buckner's another quintessentially autumnal singer, I'm thinking especially
                of his memory songs like "This Is Where" or "Li'l Wallet Picture" or "Once")
                Only Him or Me - Townes van Zandt ("Autumn leaves and window panes/ may god
                forgive us if you feel deceived" - another favourite song)
                Autumn List - Willard Grant Conspiracy
                When the Leaves Begin to Fall - Freakwater (on End Time)

                carl w
              • samchecker
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                  OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                  also on that Zombie Heaven box set)

                  I knew her when summer was her crown
                  And autumn, sad how brown her eyes

                  Damn, I love that album.

                  Mark

                  P.S. Nice catch on that Dream Syndicate tune, Carl W...
                • Matt Benz
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                    Autumn Almanac
                    End of the Season

                    Kinks
                  • Bill Silvers
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                      > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                      > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)

                      So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason for
                      asking. No, really.

                      b.s.
                    • chillout@gte.net
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                        Has anyone mentioned "October" by U2?
                        "October / And the trees are stripped bare /
                        Of all they wear / What do I care".
                      • samchecker
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Bill Silvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                          > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                          > > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                          > > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)
                          >
                          > So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason
                          for
                          > asking. No, really.

                          Nope. You need my address, hint hint?

                          Mark
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                            --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 7:11 PM +0000 samchecker
                            <oneriot@...> wrote:

                            > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Bill Silvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                            >> --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                            >> > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                            >> > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)
                            >>
                            >> So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason
                            > for
                            >> asking. No, really.
                            >
                            > Nope. You need my address, hint hint?

                            Say, Bill, if you have extra copies of that box around, I know a good home
                            for one. Has anyone seen the Blunstone/Argent shows this fall?

                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                              --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 1:54 PM -0400 "Wilson, Carl"
                              <cwilson@...> wrote:

                              <a whole bunch of good suggestions>

                              I think Toronto deserves a radio show programmed by Carl Wilson. Maybe you
                              could stump for a "Sound Opinions"-style show at one of the local stations.

                              ("Sound Opinions" is a Chicago-based show that's been on about three
                              stations over the past couple of decades. It's kind of a Siskel & Ebert of
                              rock criticism, with plenty of music and the occasional interview.)

                              Carl Z.
                              enjoying all the autumn suggestions, and always looking for an excuse to
                              break into the _Nuggets_ box
                            • mosurock
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                No, but Blunstone's 1971 album "One Year" has been reissued on Sony/Rewind in
                                the UK and is well worth owning. Sad as snakesnot.

                                doug

                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                  --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 2:12 PM -0700 mosurock
                                  <mosurock@...> wrote:

                                  > No, but Blunstone's 1971 album "One Year" has been reissued on
                                  > Sony/Rewind in the UK and is well worth owning. Sad as snakesnot.

                                  I've never heard it. Are the arrangements similar to the Zombies' material?

                                  Carl Z.
                                • mosurock
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                    Much, much more lush; some orchestral stuff which takes Nick Drake's work on
                                    "Bryter Layter" and glooms it out considerably. He redoes "She Loves the Way
                                    They Love Her" confidently and then it's a straight trip to depression city,
                                    population = you. A must have, and I can't believe more people hadn't heard
                                    it. Argent plays on most of it too, I think.

                                    doug

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                      --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 2:17 PM -0700 mosurock
                                      <mosurock@...> wrote:

                                      > Much, much more lush; some orchestral stuff which takes Nick Drake's work
                                      > on "Bryter Layter" and glooms it out considerably.

                                      I think I need to own this. I think WRCT needs to own this as well. Oh
                                      Paul...

                                      Carl Z.
                                    • mosurock
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                        maybe WRCT already does ... check the vinyl stacks.