Re: [fearnwhiskey] autumn songs

    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
      --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 3:03 PM +0100 Andy Benham
      <a.s.benham@...> wrote:

      > Did anyone ever suggest _Watching the detectives_ as a (film) noir
      > track. A bit too obvious perhaps.

      Perfect! "Watch Your Step" is another good one.

      They're making heroes out of fall guys
      They say it's good for business...

      Carl Z.
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
        Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground by the White Stripes
        Autumn Leaves by anyone and everyone

        steve

      • Kelly Kessler
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
          It's a stretch, but the Handsome Family's "The Last" looks at autumn from
          the other side: "When the snow falls in late December, and you think of
          September and the girl you once knew" or something close to that.
        • Lance Davis
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
            September Gurls - Big Star
            Autumn in New York - jazz standard, so take yer pick
            Autumn Leaves - Cannonball Adderly

            =====
            "Now one day this world is gonna curl up and burst
            It's gonna choke on it's own tongue and die of it's own thirst
            Until that day comes our roads will always be long
            But He's left signposts to guide us along."
            --Brent Best

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • mosurock@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
              cat stevens, "the wind"

              On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:20:38 -0700 (PDT) Lance Davis <lwdavis1@...>
              wrote:

              > September Gurls - Big Star
              > Autumn in New York - jazz standard, so take yer
              > pick
              > Autumn Leaves - Cannonball Adderly
              >

              > =====
              > "Now one day this world is gonna curl up and
              > burst
              > It's gonna choke on it's own tongue and die of
              > it's own thirst
              > Until that day comes our roads will always be
              > long
              > But He's left signposts to guide us along."
              > --Brent Best

              doug mosurak
              mosurock@...

              http://www.versioncityrecords.com
            • samchecker
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                Gotta go for "It's Cold Outside" by Cleveland's own The Choir--it's on
                the Nuggets 4-CD set. I've got Stiv Bators doing it on a Bomp single
                as well.

                Right now it's cold outside
                And the rain is falling down
                And the leaves are turning brown, can't you see
                Right now it's cold outside
                And it's all because of you
                'Cause there's nothing I can do to make you love me

                Mark
              • samchecker
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                  Oh, and since it's unofficial Hitchcock Day, I should mention "Autumn
                  Is Your Last Chance", off _I Often Dream of Trains_.

                  Mark
                • Wilson, Carl
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                    Autumn Sweater - Yo La Tengo (one of my favourite songs)
                    Murder in the Red Barn - Tom Waits ("Road kill has its seasons/ Just like
                    anything/ It's possums in the autumn/ And it's farm cats in the spring" -
                    deserves play for rhyming possum and autumn! Waits in general is autumn
                    music - autumn and noir are pretty closely related in my mind)
                    Suburban Autumn Lieutenant - Saint Etienne
                    September Song - by Kurt Weill, covered by various, including Lou Reed
                    Halloween - Dream Syndicate
                    Northern Sky - Nick Drake
                    Back to School - Thalia Zedek
                    anything by Dirty Three
                    any version of "All Along the Watchtower" (extremely autumnal imagery I'd
                    say)
                    and other songs about thieves
                    Catfish Song - Townes van Zandt ("Well, to meet is like springtime/ to
                    love's like the summer/ her brown eyes shone for nobody but me/ then autumn
                    forever, the fool come a fallin'/ and the rain turned to freezin' inside of
                    me." Esp. in Richard Buckner's cover on the promo version of Since --
                    Buckner's another quintessentially autumnal singer, I'm thinking especially
                    of his memory songs like "This Is Where" or "Li'l Wallet Picture" or "Once")
                    Only Him or Me - Townes van Zandt ("Autumn leaves and window panes/ may god
                    forgive us if you feel deceived" - another favourite song)
                    Autumn List - Willard Grant Conspiracy
                    When the Leaves Begin to Fall - Freakwater (on End Time)

                    carl w
                  • samchecker
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                      OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                      also on that Zombie Heaven box set)

                      I knew her when summer was her crown
                      And autumn, sad how brown her eyes

                      Damn, I love that album.

                      Mark

                      P.S. Nice catch on that Dream Syndicate tune, Carl W...
                    • Matt Benz
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                        Autumn Almanac
                        End of the Season

                        Kinks
                      • Bill Silvers
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                          > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                          > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)

                          So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason for
                          asking. No, really.

                          b.s.
                        • chillout@gte.net
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                            Has anyone mentioned "October" by U2?
                            "October / And the trees are stripped bare /
                            Of all they wear / What do I care".
                          • samchecker
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Bill Silvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                              > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                              > > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                              > > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)
                              >
                              > So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason
                              for
                              > asking. No, really.

                              Nope. You need my address, hint hint?

                              Mark
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 7:11 PM +0000 samchecker
                                <oneriot@...> wrote:

                                > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Bill Silvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                                >> --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                                >> > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                                >> > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)
                                >>
                                >> So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason
                                > for
                                >> asking. No, really.
                                >
                                > Nope. You need my address, hint hint?

                                Say, Bill, if you have extra copies of that box around, I know a good home
                                for one. Has anyone seen the Blunstone/Argent shows this fall?

                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                  --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 1:54 PM -0400 "Wilson, Carl"
                                  <cwilson@...> wrote:

                                  <a whole bunch of good suggestions>

                                  I think Toronto deserves a radio show programmed by Carl Wilson. Maybe you
                                  could stump for a "Sound Opinions"-style show at one of the local stations.

                                  ("Sound Opinions" is a Chicago-based show that's been on about three
                                  stations over the past couple of decades. It's kind of a Siskel & Ebert of
                                  rock criticism, with plenty of music and the occasional interview.)

                                  Carl Z.
                                  enjoying all the autumn suggestions, and always looking for an excuse to
                                  break into the _Nuggets_ box
                                • mosurock
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                    No, but Blunstone's 1971 album "One Year" has been reissued on Sony/Rewind in
                                    the UK and is well worth owning. Sad as snakesnot.

                                    doug

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                      --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 2:12 PM -0700 mosurock
                                      <mosurock@...> wrote:

                                      > No, but Blunstone's 1971 album "One Year" has been reissued on
                                      > Sony/Rewind in the UK and is well worth owning. Sad as snakesnot.

                                      I've never heard it. Are the arrangements similar to the Zombies' material?

                                      Carl Z.
                                    • mosurock
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                        Much, much more lush; some orchestral stuff which takes Nick Drake's work on
                                        "Bryter Layter" and glooms it out considerably. He redoes "She Loves the Way
                                        They Love Her" confidently and then it's a straight trip to depression city,
                                        population = you. A must have, and I can't believe more people hadn't heard
                                        it. Argent plays on most of it too, I think.

                                        doug

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                          --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 2:17 PM -0700 mosurock
                                          <mosurock@...> wrote:

                                          > Much, much more lush; some orchestral stuff which takes Nick Drake's work
                                          > on "Bryter Layter" and glooms it out considerably.

                                          I think I need to own this. I think WRCT needs to own this as well. Oh
                                          Paul...

                                          Carl Z.
                                        • mosurock
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                            maybe WRCT already does ... check the vinyl stacks.