Re: [fearnwhiskey] autumn songs

  • Andy Benham
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
      On 30 Sep 02, at 22:25, Carl Zimring wrote:

      > On the assumption that the temperature will dip below 80 and the leaves
      > will turn color sometime soon, I'll string together a set or two of songs
      > about autumn, or at least with an autumnal feel. Requests welcome.
      >
      > Also, if anyone has further suggestions on noir songs, I'm saving
      > suggestions for a future show.

      Did anyone ever suggest _Watching the detectives_ as a (film) noir
      track. A bit too obvious perhaps.

      I don't know how much more of this I can take
      She's filing her nails while they're dragging the lake

      Andy
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
        --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 3:03 PM +0100 Andy Benham
        <a.s.benham@...> wrote:

        > Did anyone ever suggest _Watching the detectives_ as a (film) noir
        > track. A bit too obvious perhaps.

        Perfect! "Watch Your Step" is another good one.

        They're making heroes out of fall guys
        They say it's good for business...

        Carl Z.
      • Steve Gardner
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
          Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground by the White Stripes
          Autumn Leaves by anyone and everyone

          steve

        • Kelly Kessler
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
            It's a stretch, but the Handsome Family's "The Last" looks at autumn from
            the other side: "When the snow falls in late December, and you think of
            September and the girl you once knew" or something close to that.
          • Lance Davis
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
              September Gurls - Big Star
              Autumn in New York - jazz standard, so take yer pick
              Autumn Leaves - Cannonball Adderly

              =====
              "Now one day this world is gonna curl up and burst
              It's gonna choke on it's own tongue and die of it's own thirst
              Until that day comes our roads will always be long
              But He's left signposts to guide us along."
              --Brent Best

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • mosurock@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                cat stevens, "the wind"

                On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:20:38 -0700 (PDT) Lance Davis <lwdavis1@...>
                wrote:

                > September Gurls - Big Star
                > Autumn in New York - jazz standard, so take yer
                > pick
                > Autumn Leaves - Cannonball Adderly
                >

                > =====
                > "Now one day this world is gonna curl up and
                > burst
                > It's gonna choke on it's own tongue and die of
                > it's own thirst
                > Until that day comes our roads will always be
                > long
                > But He's left signposts to guide us along."
                > --Brent Best

                doug mosurak
                mosurock@...

                http://www.versioncityrecords.com
              • samchecker
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                  Gotta go for "It's Cold Outside" by Cleveland's own The Choir--it's on
                  the Nuggets 4-CD set. I've got Stiv Bators doing it on a Bomp single
                  as well.

                  Right now it's cold outside
                  And the rain is falling down
                  And the leaves are turning brown, can't you see
                  Right now it's cold outside
                  And it's all because of you
                  'Cause there's nothing I can do to make you love me

                  Mark
                • samchecker
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                    Oh, and since it's unofficial Hitchcock Day, I should mention "Autumn
                    Is Your Last Chance", off _I Often Dream of Trains_.

                    Mark
                  • Wilson, Carl
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                      Autumn Sweater - Yo La Tengo (one of my favourite songs)
                      Murder in the Red Barn - Tom Waits ("Road kill has its seasons/ Just like
                      anything/ It's possums in the autumn/ And it's farm cats in the spring" -
                      deserves play for rhyming possum and autumn! Waits in general is autumn
                      music - autumn and noir are pretty closely related in my mind)
                      Suburban Autumn Lieutenant - Saint Etienne
                      September Song - by Kurt Weill, covered by various, including Lou Reed
                      Halloween - Dream Syndicate
                      Northern Sky - Nick Drake
                      Back to School - Thalia Zedek
                      anything by Dirty Three
                      any version of "All Along the Watchtower" (extremely autumnal imagery I'd
                      say)
                      and other songs about thieves
                      Catfish Song - Townes van Zandt ("Well, to meet is like springtime/ to
                      love's like the summer/ her brown eyes shone for nobody but me/ then autumn
                      forever, the fool come a fallin'/ and the rain turned to freezin' inside of
                      me." Esp. in Richard Buckner's cover on the promo version of Since --
                      Buckner's another quintessentially autumnal singer, I'm thinking especially
                      of his memory songs like "This Is Where" or "Li'l Wallet Picture" or "Once")
                      Only Him or Me - Townes van Zandt ("Autumn leaves and window panes/ may god
                      forgive us if you feel deceived" - another favourite song)
                      Autumn List - Willard Grant Conspiracy
                      When the Leaves Begin to Fall - Freakwater (on End Time)

                      carl w
                    • samchecker
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                        OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                        also on that Zombie Heaven box set)

                        I knew her when summer was her crown
                        And autumn, sad how brown her eyes

                        Damn, I love that album.

                        Mark

                        P.S. Nice catch on that Dream Syndicate tune, Carl W...
                      • Matt Benz
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                          Autumn Almanac
                          End of the Season

                          Kinks
                        • Bill Silvers
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                            > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                            > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)

                            So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason for
                            asking. No, really.

                            b.s.
                          • chillout@gte.net
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                              Has anyone mentioned "October" by U2?
                              "October / And the trees are stripped bare /
                              Of all they wear / What do I care".
                            • samchecker
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Bill Silvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                                > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                                > > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                                > > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)
                                >
                                > So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason
                                for
                                > asking. No, really.

                                Nope. You need my address, hint hint?

                                Mark
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                  --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 7:11 PM +0000 samchecker
                                  <oneriot@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Bill Silvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                                  >> --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                                  >> > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                                  >> > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)
                                  >>
                                  >> So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason
                                  > for
                                  >> asking. No, really.
                                  >
                                  > Nope. You need my address, hint hint?

                                  Say, Bill, if you have extra copies of that box around, I know a good home
                                  for one. Has anyone seen the Blunstone/Argent shows this fall?

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                    --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 1:54 PM -0400 "Wilson, Carl"
                                    <cwilson@...> wrote:

                                    <a whole bunch of good suggestions>

                                    I think Toronto deserves a radio show programmed by Carl Wilson. Maybe you
                                    could stump for a "Sound Opinions"-style show at one of the local stations.

                                    ("Sound Opinions" is a Chicago-based show that's been on about three
                                    stations over the past couple of decades. It's kind of a Siskel & Ebert of
                                    rock criticism, with plenty of music and the occasional interview.)

                                    Carl Z.
                                    enjoying all the autumn suggestions, and always looking for an excuse to
                                    break into the _Nuggets_ box
                                  • mosurock
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                      No, but Blunstone's 1971 album "One Year" has been reissued on Sony/Rewind in
                                      the UK and is well worth owning. Sad as snakesnot.

                                      doug

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                        --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 2:12 PM -0700 mosurock
                                        <mosurock@...> wrote:

                                        > No, but Blunstone's 1971 album "One Year" has been reissued on
                                        > Sony/Rewind in the UK and is well worth owning. Sad as snakesnot.

                                        I've never heard it. Are the arrangements similar to the Zombies' material?

                                        Carl Z.
                                      • mosurock
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                          Much, much more lush; some orchestral stuff which takes Nick Drake's work on
                                          "Bryter Layter" and glooms it out considerably. He redoes "She Loves the Way
                                          They Love Her" confidently and then it's a straight trip to depression city,
                                          population = you. A must have, and I can't believe more people hadn't heard
                                          it. Argent plays on most of it too, I think.

                                          doug

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                            --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 2:17 PM -0700 mosurock
                                            <mosurock@...> wrote:

                                            > Much, much more lush; some orchestral stuff which takes Nick Drake's work
                                            > on "Bryter Layter" and glooms it out considerably.

                                            I think I need to own this. I think WRCT needs to own this as well. Oh
                                            Paul...

                                            Carl Z.
                                          • mosurock
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 1, 2002
                                              maybe WRCT already does ... check the vinyl stacks.