Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: Soft Boys

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
      I should add that the only reason I haven't commented on either of Rew's
      recent solo discs is I haven't heard them. I see from the link Jason
      posted that Dave Mattacks drums on the new one. How's Rew as a lead
      vocalist these days?

      Carl Z.
    • samchecker
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

        > I still think _Can of Bees_ is as bad as anything in the Hitchcock
        catalog,
        > save _Globe of Frogs_. Sterile production, overly-fussy
        arrangements,
        > weird-for-its-own-sake writing; I have difficulty listening to it
        all the
        > way through. Containers full of critters bode ill for his music.
        >
        > (Lest this be seen as a bash on original Soft Boys bassist Andy
        Metcalfe,
        > he was the bassist on the wonderful _Live at the Portland Arms_,
        which has
        > superior versions of several _Bees_ songs, plus some amazing
        covers. How
        > this has avoided being issued on CD is beyond me.)

        I'm just going to warn the rest of you that the following post
        descends fully into nerd-dom, so you can stop reading here if you
        want...

        That sound you hear from the west, Carl, is me gnashing my teeth and
        muttering about your comments on A Can of Bees. I suppose I should
        cut you some slack, because you're no doubt under the impression that
        there's one version of that record when in fact there are *three*,
        each with significant substitutions. Saying that the production is
        sterile and the arrangements overly fussy ignores the fact that each
        of these versions includes some kick-ass live cuts, most of which are
        now available on Rout of the Clones, which is the entire Lady Mitchell
        Hall show plus a few other thingies (I got my copy from Miles of
        Music).

        And what can I say about your position on Andy Metcalfe except you're
        as wrong as a wrong guy in a wrong-o-mat. Well, I guess I can't really
        support that, but I sure do disagree with you. Good god, "The
        Pigworker" alone ought to make you hang your head in shame for
        disparaging the guy, and I maintain that the Egyptians would have been
        stillborn were it not for him (I saw a show that he skipped out on in
        NYC, right before Fegmania was released, that bears my position out).

        I'm not going to argue with you about A Globe of Frogs, though. It is
        better than Queen Elvis, at least.

        > Mark, I'da thought that you'd like some of the heavier material on
        _Moss
        > Elixir_...."I am Not Me" in particular.

        Oh cripes, are you going to make me blow the dust off that CD and try
        to listen to it again? Maybe I should also have Storefront Hitchcock
        playing on the TV while I count fibers in the carpet to make time
        really grind to a halt.

        > I'm hard-pressed to find a Wire recording that rocks harder or more
        > aggressively. Since they have plans for at least two more EPs (each
        with a
        > supposedly different mood), perhaps there'll be another tour or two
        in the
        > next year.

        I was thinking that a few Wire-type soundscapes were in order after
        getting my ears bludgeoned for six tunes in a row, so this is good to
        hear.

        Mark
      • samchecker
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
          > I should add that the only reason I haven't commented on either of
          Rew's
          > recent solo discs is I haven't heard them. I see from the link
          Jason
          > posted that Dave Mattacks drums on the new one. How's Rew as a lead
          > vocalist these days?

          For me, that's the most pleasant surprise from Tunnel Into Summer. He
          sings pretty much like he always did, which is a Good Thing.

          Mark
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
            --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 1:59 PM +0000 samchecker
            <oneriot@...> wrote:

            > That sound you hear from the west, Carl, is me gnashing my teeth and
            > muttering about your comments on A Can of Bees. I suppose I should
            > cut you some slack, because you're no doubt under the impression that
            > there's one version of that record when in fact there are *three*,
            > each with significant substitutions. Saying that the production is
            > sterile and the arrangements overly fussy ignores the fact that each
            > of these versions includes some kick-ass live cuts, most of which are
            > now available on Rout of the Clones, which is the entire Lady Mitchell
            > Hall show plus a few other thingies (I got my copy from Miles of
            > Music).

            See, _Rout of the Clones_ rocks, and allows me to to hear the fine live
            work without dealing with the studio tracks. Really, it takes some effort
            to make "Sandra's Having Her Brain Out" sound dull. (I do like the "Cold
            Turkey" cover.) The reason there are three versions of the record out is
            the band spent so much damn time in the studio, though apparently not as
            much as on their aborted Radar record that Hitchcock's barred from release.

            > And what can I say about your position on Andy Metcalfe except you're
            > as wrong as a wrong guy in a wrong-o-mat. Well, I guess I can't really
            > support that, but I sure do disagree with you. Good god, "The
            > Pigworker" alone ought to make you hang your head in shame for
            > disparaging the guy, and I maintain that the Egyptians would have been
            > stillborn were it not for him (I saw a show that he skipped out on in
            > NYC, right before Fegmania was released, that bears my position out).

            He's a masterful bassist, and in the trio format his melodic lines are the
            leads. (You can really hear this on _Respect_ and _Element of Light_.) My
            problem with Metcalfe isn't Metcalfe, but Hitchcock. He starts delving
            into complicated arrangements that don't always suit the songs. Seligman,
            on the other hand, manages to keep Hitchcock on the poppy side. I wish the
            _Underwater Moonlight_ band had stayed together a while longer; they kind
            of did on _Black Snake Diamond Role_.

            > I'm not going to argue with you about A Globe of Frogs, though. It is
            > better than Queen Elvis, at least.

            I can listen to _Queen Elvis_, mostly because of the guitar sound. _Globe
            of Frogs_ sounds like a parody of Hitchcock's "wacky" side.

            >> Mark, I'da thought that you'd like some of the heavier material on
            > _Moss
            >> Elixir_...."I am Not Me" in particular.
            >>

            > Oh cripes, are you going to make me blow the dust off that CD and try
            > to listen to it again? Maybe I should also have Storefront Hitchcock
            > playing on the TV while I count fibers in the carpet to make time
            > really grind to a halt.

            And don't forget _Eye_! What's funny about Hitchcock is his catalog is so
            diverse that Mark & I can both like a lot of it while agreeing on very
            little.