Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: Soft Boys

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
      >P.S. I finally chased down that Wire EP, Read and Burn. Damn! "Germ
      >Ship" and "The Agfers of Kodack" just left both my ass cheeks in the
      >dirt. I'm going to be listening to this one a *lot*, and I'm so
      >bummed the mini-tour came nowhere near Cowlumbus.

      Weird. As I read this sentence I got a phone call from the local CD store.
      The guy said, "Steve, this is Sean from CD Alley...we got that Wire EP in
      that you ordered and will have it behind the counter when you want to come
      by and pick it up." Plate o' Shrimp!

      I played Agfers of Kodack on my show two weeks ago. It was the first thing
      I'd heard off the EP and it immediately went on my "To Buy" list.
      Unfortunately, by the time I got to my show last week the EP at the station
      was stolen. It's that good! <g>

      Haven't heard the new Soft Boys or Kimberly Rew, so I have no comment...

      steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
        --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 1:06 PM +0000 samchecker
        <oneriot@...> wrote:

        > Carl, if Nextdoorland was *anything* like Respect
        > or Jewels for Sophia (or Moss Elixir for that matter), it'd be a chew
        > toy for my Jack Russell terrier right now. In fact, I was afraid this
        > new SB's disc was going to be exactly that and was mightily relieved
        > that it wasn't. I think the difference is having Rew back in the band
        > trading jangles with Robyn ala A Can of Bees.

        The writing is *very* similar to Hitchcock's recent output (a good thing,
        to my ears), but the arrangements are something different -- it's an
        organic quartet record. And I think a big difference is not Rew (who
        played on _Jewels for Sophia_), but bassist Matthew Seligman, who was the
        bassist on the best Soft Boys material (_Moonlight_ and the better songs on
        _Invisible Hits_) and Hitchcock's first two solo albums. Hitchcock can't
        help but gravitate towards Byrds-style pop when Seligman's in the band.

        I still think _Can of Bees_ is as bad as anything in the Hitchcock catalog,
        save _Globe of Frogs_. Sterile production, overly-fussy arrangements,
        weird-for-its-own-sake writing; I have difficulty listening to it all the
        way through. Containers full of critters bode ill for his music.

        (Lest this be seen as a bash on original Soft Boys bassist Andy Metcalfe,
        he was the bassist on the wonderful _Live at the Portland Arms_, which has
        superior versions of several _Bees_ songs, plus some amazing covers. How
        this has avoided being issued on CD is beyond me.)

        Mark, I'da thought that you'd like some of the heavier material on _Moss
        Elixir_...."I am Not Me" in particular.

        > P.S. I finally chased down that Wire EP, Read and Burn. Damn! "Germ
        > Ship" and "The Agfers of Kodack" just left both my ass cheeks in the
        > dirt. I'm going to be listening to this one a *lot*, and I'm so
        > bummed the mini-tour came nowhere near Cowlumbus

        I'm hard-pressed to find a Wire recording that rocks harder or more
        aggressively. Since they have plans for at least two more EPs (each with a
        supposedly different mood), perhaps there'll be another tour or two in the
        next year.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
          I should add that the only reason I haven't commented on either of Rew's
          recent solo discs is I haven't heard them. I see from the link Jason
          posted that Dave Mattacks drums on the new one. How's Rew as a lead
          vocalist these days?

          Carl Z.
        • samchecker
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

            > I still think _Can of Bees_ is as bad as anything in the Hitchcock
            catalog,
            > save _Globe of Frogs_. Sterile production, overly-fussy
            arrangements,
            > weird-for-its-own-sake writing; I have difficulty listening to it
            all the
            > way through. Containers full of critters bode ill for his music.
            >
            > (Lest this be seen as a bash on original Soft Boys bassist Andy
            Metcalfe,
            > he was the bassist on the wonderful _Live at the Portland Arms_,
            which has
            > superior versions of several _Bees_ songs, plus some amazing
            covers. How
            > this has avoided being issued on CD is beyond me.)

            I'm just going to warn the rest of you that the following post
            descends fully into nerd-dom, so you can stop reading here if you
            want...

            That sound you hear from the west, Carl, is me gnashing my teeth and
            muttering about your comments on A Can of Bees. I suppose I should
            cut you some slack, because you're no doubt under the impression that
            there's one version of that record when in fact there are *three*,
            each with significant substitutions. Saying that the production is
            sterile and the arrangements overly fussy ignores the fact that each
            of these versions includes some kick-ass live cuts, most of which are
            now available on Rout of the Clones, which is the entire Lady Mitchell
            Hall show plus a few other thingies (I got my copy from Miles of
            Music).

            And what can I say about your position on Andy Metcalfe except you're
            as wrong as a wrong guy in a wrong-o-mat. Well, I guess I can't really
            support that, but I sure do disagree with you. Good god, "The
            Pigworker" alone ought to make you hang your head in shame for
            disparaging the guy, and I maintain that the Egyptians would have been
            stillborn were it not for him (I saw a show that he skipped out on in
            NYC, right before Fegmania was released, that bears my position out).

            I'm not going to argue with you about A Globe of Frogs, though. It is
            better than Queen Elvis, at least.

            > Mark, I'da thought that you'd like some of the heavier material on
            _Moss
            > Elixir_...."I am Not Me" in particular.

            Oh cripes, are you going to make me blow the dust off that CD and try
            to listen to it again? Maybe I should also have Storefront Hitchcock
            playing on the TV while I count fibers in the carpet to make time
            really grind to a halt.

            > I'm hard-pressed to find a Wire recording that rocks harder or more
            > aggressively. Since they have plans for at least two more EPs (each
            with a
            > supposedly different mood), perhaps there'll be another tour or two
            in the
            > next year.

            I was thinking that a few Wire-type soundscapes were in order after
            getting my ears bludgeoned for six tunes in a row, so this is good to
            hear.

            Mark
          • samchecker
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
              > I should add that the only reason I haven't commented on either of
              Rew's
              > recent solo discs is I haven't heard them. I see from the link
              Jason
              > posted that Dave Mattacks drums on the new one. How's Rew as a lead
              > vocalist these days?

              For me, that's the most pleasant surprise from Tunnel Into Summer. He
              sings pretty much like he always did, which is a Good Thing.

              Mark
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
                --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 1:59 PM +0000 samchecker
                <oneriot@...> wrote:

                > That sound you hear from the west, Carl, is me gnashing my teeth and
                > muttering about your comments on A Can of Bees. I suppose I should
                > cut you some slack, because you're no doubt under the impression that
                > there's one version of that record when in fact there are *three*,
                > each with significant substitutions. Saying that the production is
                > sterile and the arrangements overly fussy ignores the fact that each
                > of these versions includes some kick-ass live cuts, most of which are
                > now available on Rout of the Clones, which is the entire Lady Mitchell
                > Hall show plus a few other thingies (I got my copy from Miles of
                > Music).

                See, _Rout of the Clones_ rocks, and allows me to to hear the fine live
                work without dealing with the studio tracks. Really, it takes some effort
                to make "Sandra's Having Her Brain Out" sound dull. (I do like the "Cold
                Turkey" cover.) The reason there are three versions of the record out is
                the band spent so much damn time in the studio, though apparently not as
                much as on their aborted Radar record that Hitchcock's barred from release.

                > And what can I say about your position on Andy Metcalfe except you're
                > as wrong as a wrong guy in a wrong-o-mat. Well, I guess I can't really
                > support that, but I sure do disagree with you. Good god, "The
                > Pigworker" alone ought to make you hang your head in shame for
                > disparaging the guy, and I maintain that the Egyptians would have been
                > stillborn were it not for him (I saw a show that he skipped out on in
                > NYC, right before Fegmania was released, that bears my position out).

                He's a masterful bassist, and in the trio format his melodic lines are the
                leads. (You can really hear this on _Respect_ and _Element of Light_.) My
                problem with Metcalfe isn't Metcalfe, but Hitchcock. He starts delving
                into complicated arrangements that don't always suit the songs. Seligman,
                on the other hand, manages to keep Hitchcock on the poppy side. I wish the
                _Underwater Moonlight_ band had stayed together a while longer; they kind
                of did on _Black Snake Diamond Role_.

                > I'm not going to argue with you about A Globe of Frogs, though. It is
                > better than Queen Elvis, at least.

                I can listen to _Queen Elvis_, mostly because of the guitar sound. _Globe
                of Frogs_ sounds like a parody of Hitchcock's "wacky" side.

                >> Mark, I'da thought that you'd like some of the heavier material on
                > _Moss
                >> Elixir_...."I am Not Me" in particular.
                >>

                > Oh cripes, are you going to make me blow the dust off that CD and try
                > to listen to it again? Maybe I should also have Storefront Hitchcock
                > playing on the TV while I count fibers in the carpet to make time
                > really grind to a halt.

                And don't forget _Eye_! What's funny about Hitchcock is his catalog is so
                diverse that Mark & I can both like a lot of it while agreeing on very
                little.