Re: Soft Boys

  • samchecker
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Perfect Sound Forever <perfect-sound@f...>
      wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > Though I agree with the praise heaped on the SBs and welcome their
      return,
      > isn't anyone going to say anything about Kimberley Rew's new album,
      Grand
      > Central Revisted? Really nice album, worth hearing. Check it out
      at
      > www.bongobeat.com

      The only reason I haven't said anything about it yet, Jason, is
      because I haven't heard it! I'm one of the five people who thought
      his last one, Tunnel Into Summer, was pretty effin' good. I'm a
      huuuuge Waves fan (especially the early stuff), and TIS showed that he
      really hasn't lost his pop touch.

      And as long as we're still talking Soft Boys, I have to get something
      out of my system. Carl, if Nextdoorland was *anything* like Respect
      or Jewels for Sophia (or Moss Elixir for that matter), it'd be a chew
      toy for my Jack Russell terrier right now. In fact, I was afraid this
      new SB's disc was going to be exactly that and was mightily relieved
      that it wasn't. I think the difference is having Rew back in the band
      trading jangles with Robyn ala A Can of Bees.

      Anyway, Jason, thanks for the tip. I'll be looking up that CD now.

      Mark

      P.S. I finally chased down that Wire EP, Read and Burn. Damn! "Germ
      Ship" and "The Agfers of Kodack" just left both my ass cheeks in the
      dirt. I'm going to be listening to this one a *lot*, and I'm so
      bummed the mini-tour came nowhere near Cowlumbus.
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
        >P.S. I finally chased down that Wire EP, Read and Burn. Damn! "Germ
        >Ship" and "The Agfers of Kodack" just left both my ass cheeks in the
        >dirt. I'm going to be listening to this one a *lot*, and I'm so
        >bummed the mini-tour came nowhere near Cowlumbus.

        Weird. As I read this sentence I got a phone call from the local CD store.
        The guy said, "Steve, this is Sean from CD Alley...we got that Wire EP in
        that you ordered and will have it behind the counter when you want to come
        by and pick it up." Plate o' Shrimp!

        I played Agfers of Kodack on my show two weeks ago. It was the first thing
        I'd heard off the EP and it immediately went on my "To Buy" list.
        Unfortunately, by the time I got to my show last week the EP at the station
        was stolen. It's that good! <g>

        Haven't heard the new Soft Boys or Kimberly Rew, so I have no comment...

        steve
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
          --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 1:06 PM +0000 samchecker
          <oneriot@...> wrote:

          > Carl, if Nextdoorland was *anything* like Respect
          > or Jewels for Sophia (or Moss Elixir for that matter), it'd be a chew
          > toy for my Jack Russell terrier right now. In fact, I was afraid this
          > new SB's disc was going to be exactly that and was mightily relieved
          > that it wasn't. I think the difference is having Rew back in the band
          > trading jangles with Robyn ala A Can of Bees.

          The writing is *very* similar to Hitchcock's recent output (a good thing,
          to my ears), but the arrangements are something different -- it's an
          organic quartet record. And I think a big difference is not Rew (who
          played on _Jewels for Sophia_), but bassist Matthew Seligman, who was the
          bassist on the best Soft Boys material (_Moonlight_ and the better songs on
          _Invisible Hits_) and Hitchcock's first two solo albums. Hitchcock can't
          help but gravitate towards Byrds-style pop when Seligman's in the band.

          I still think _Can of Bees_ is as bad as anything in the Hitchcock catalog,
          save _Globe of Frogs_. Sterile production, overly-fussy arrangements,
          weird-for-its-own-sake writing; I have difficulty listening to it all the
          way through. Containers full of critters bode ill for his music.

          (Lest this be seen as a bash on original Soft Boys bassist Andy Metcalfe,
          he was the bassist on the wonderful _Live at the Portland Arms_, which has
          superior versions of several _Bees_ songs, plus some amazing covers. How
          this has avoided being issued on CD is beyond me.)

          Mark, I'da thought that you'd like some of the heavier material on _Moss
          Elixir_...."I am Not Me" in particular.

          > P.S. I finally chased down that Wire EP, Read and Burn. Damn! "Germ
          > Ship" and "The Agfers of Kodack" just left both my ass cheeks in the
          > dirt. I'm going to be listening to this one a *lot*, and I'm so
          > bummed the mini-tour came nowhere near Cowlumbus

          I'm hard-pressed to find a Wire recording that rocks harder or more
          aggressively. Since they have plans for at least two more EPs (each with a
          supposedly different mood), perhaps there'll be another tour or two in the
          next year.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
            I should add that the only reason I haven't commented on either of Rew's
            recent solo discs is I haven't heard them. I see from the link Jason
            posted that Dave Mattacks drums on the new one. How's Rew as a lead
            vocalist these days?

            Carl Z.
          • samchecker
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

              > I still think _Can of Bees_ is as bad as anything in the Hitchcock
              catalog,
              > save _Globe of Frogs_. Sterile production, overly-fussy
              arrangements,
              > weird-for-its-own-sake writing; I have difficulty listening to it
              all the
              > way through. Containers full of critters bode ill for his music.
              >
              > (Lest this be seen as a bash on original Soft Boys bassist Andy
              Metcalfe,
              > he was the bassist on the wonderful _Live at the Portland Arms_,
              which has
              > superior versions of several _Bees_ songs, plus some amazing
              covers. How
              > this has avoided being issued on CD is beyond me.)

              I'm just going to warn the rest of you that the following post
              descends fully into nerd-dom, so you can stop reading here if you
              want...

              That sound you hear from the west, Carl, is me gnashing my teeth and
              muttering about your comments on A Can of Bees. I suppose I should
              cut you some slack, because you're no doubt under the impression that
              there's one version of that record when in fact there are *three*,
              each with significant substitutions. Saying that the production is
              sterile and the arrangements overly fussy ignores the fact that each
              of these versions includes some kick-ass live cuts, most of which are
              now available on Rout of the Clones, which is the entire Lady Mitchell
              Hall show plus a few other thingies (I got my copy from Miles of
              Music).

              And what can I say about your position on Andy Metcalfe except you're
              as wrong as a wrong guy in a wrong-o-mat. Well, I guess I can't really
              support that, but I sure do disagree with you. Good god, "The
              Pigworker" alone ought to make you hang your head in shame for
              disparaging the guy, and I maintain that the Egyptians would have been
              stillborn were it not for him (I saw a show that he skipped out on in
              NYC, right before Fegmania was released, that bears my position out).

              I'm not going to argue with you about A Globe of Frogs, though. It is
              better than Queen Elvis, at least.

              > Mark, I'da thought that you'd like some of the heavier material on
              _Moss
              > Elixir_...."I am Not Me" in particular.

              Oh cripes, are you going to make me blow the dust off that CD and try
              to listen to it again? Maybe I should also have Storefront Hitchcock
              playing on the TV while I count fibers in the carpet to make time
              really grind to a halt.

              > I'm hard-pressed to find a Wire recording that rocks harder or more
              > aggressively. Since they have plans for at least two more EPs (each
              with a
              > supposedly different mood), perhaps there'll be another tour or two
              in the
              > next year.

              I was thinking that a few Wire-type soundscapes were in order after
              getting my ears bludgeoned for six tunes in a row, so this is good to
              hear.

              Mark
            • samchecker
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
                > I should add that the only reason I haven't commented on either of
                Rew's
                > recent solo discs is I haven't heard them. I see from the link
                Jason
                > posted that Dave Mattacks drums on the new one. How's Rew as a lead
                > vocalist these days?

                For me, that's the most pleasant surprise from Tunnel Into Summer. He
                sings pretty much like he always did, which is a Good Thing.

                Mark
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
                  --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 1:59 PM +0000 samchecker
                  <oneriot@...> wrote:

                  > That sound you hear from the west, Carl, is me gnashing my teeth and
                  > muttering about your comments on A Can of Bees. I suppose I should
                  > cut you some slack, because you're no doubt under the impression that
                  > there's one version of that record when in fact there are *three*,
                  > each with significant substitutions. Saying that the production is
                  > sterile and the arrangements overly fussy ignores the fact that each
                  > of these versions includes some kick-ass live cuts, most of which are
                  > now available on Rout of the Clones, which is the entire Lady Mitchell
                  > Hall show plus a few other thingies (I got my copy from Miles of
                  > Music).

                  See, _Rout of the Clones_ rocks, and allows me to to hear the fine live
                  work without dealing with the studio tracks. Really, it takes some effort
                  to make "Sandra's Having Her Brain Out" sound dull. (I do like the "Cold
                  Turkey" cover.) The reason there are three versions of the record out is
                  the band spent so much damn time in the studio, though apparently not as
                  much as on their aborted Radar record that Hitchcock's barred from release.

                  > And what can I say about your position on Andy Metcalfe except you're
                  > as wrong as a wrong guy in a wrong-o-mat. Well, I guess I can't really
                  > support that, but I sure do disagree with you. Good god, "The
                  > Pigworker" alone ought to make you hang your head in shame for
                  > disparaging the guy, and I maintain that the Egyptians would have been
                  > stillborn were it not for him (I saw a show that he skipped out on in
                  > NYC, right before Fegmania was released, that bears my position out).

                  He's a masterful bassist, and in the trio format his melodic lines are the
                  leads. (You can really hear this on _Respect_ and _Element of Light_.) My
                  problem with Metcalfe isn't Metcalfe, but Hitchcock. He starts delving
                  into complicated arrangements that don't always suit the songs. Seligman,
                  on the other hand, manages to keep Hitchcock on the poppy side. I wish the
                  _Underwater Moonlight_ band had stayed together a while longer; they kind
                  of did on _Black Snake Diamond Role_.

                  > I'm not going to argue with you about A Globe of Frogs, though. It is
                  > better than Queen Elvis, at least.

                  I can listen to _Queen Elvis_, mostly because of the guitar sound. _Globe
                  of Frogs_ sounds like a parody of Hitchcock's "wacky" side.

                  >> Mark, I'da thought that you'd like some of the heavier material on
                  > _Moss
                  >> Elixir_...."I am Not Me" in particular.
                  >>

                  > Oh cripes, are you going to make me blow the dust off that CD and try
                  > to listen to it again? Maybe I should also have Storefront Hitchcock
                  > playing on the TV while I count fibers in the carpet to make time
                  > really grind to a halt.

                  And don't forget _Eye_! What's funny about Hitchcock is his catalog is so
                  diverse that Mark & I can both like a lot of it while agreeing on very
                  little.