PLAYLIST: Fear & Whiskey 9/30/02

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 30, 2002
      Here's the playlist for tonight's episode of Fear & Whiskey, heard from
      7-9pm ET on 88.3fm in Pittsburgh and <http://www.wrct.org> over the
      internet. Past playlists are archived at
      <http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~cz28/fear.html>.

      Carl

      ARTIST / SONG
      chris brokaw / the fields
      [@ Quiet Storm 10/12.]

      soft boys / mr. kennedy
      [Over the last decade, Robyn Hitchcock has penned several American
      travelogues. There's the Sacramento reference in "Driving Aloud Radio
      Storm" and the self-explanatory "Viva Sea-Tac". Now he adds the towns of
      Cleveland, Harrisburg and Pittsburgh to the list with this song from the
      fine new _Nextdoorland_.]
      karl hendricks rock band / say hi to the girls
      [@ Warhol Museum 10/5.]
      bettie serveert / palomine
      rhett miller / hover

      steve wynn / the angels
      yo la tengo / somebody's baby
      [After all the poppy guitars, I had the hankering to play some covers.]
      henry kaiser / california dreamin'
      joel phelps / spokane motel blues
      son volt / holocaust
      [My favorite of all of Jay Farrar's post-Tupelo recordings.]

      eugene chadbourne / medley in c
      [One of my favorite recordings, "Medley in C" incorporates: Always on My
      Mind, Whiter Shade of Pale, San Francisco Nights, Ain't
      Misbehavin'(complete with Louis Armstrong vocal), Imagine, TV Party, Misty,
      Dang Me, England Swings, I Started a Joke, To Sir With Love, Some Guys Have
      All the Luck, Waltz Across Texas and The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave.
      A copy of this should be in the Smithsonian Museum of American History as
      an representative product of American popular culture in the 1980s.]

      mekons / thee olde trip to jerusalem
      graham parker / short memories
      [@ Club Café 10/3.]
      carmaig de forest / coldwater park
      warren zevon / life'll kill ya
      randy newman / burn on
      [I'm teaching a class on 1970s water pollution on Wednesday and had to pull
      this gem out.]
      virginia dare / secret spy plane

      drive-by truckers / 72 (this highway's mean)
      blasters / common man
      chuck prophet / what can you tell me
      [@ Club Café tonight.]
      slobberbone / stupid words
      treasure state / a variation on ambition

      wire /1st fast
      pere ubu / the fevered dream of hernando desoto
      james mcmurtry / out here in the middle
      sue garner / it's gonna be
      amalgamated sons of rest / maa bonny lad
      [A mopey supergroup of Jason Molina, Will Oldham & Alasdair Roberts. This
      track sounds a little like _Full House_-era Fairport Convention.]
      low / hey chicago

      franklin bruno / a cat may look at a queen
      [The title track from Bruno's very jazzy new disc.]
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 30, 2002
        On the assumption that the temperature will dip below 80 and the leaves
        will turn color sometime soon, I'll string together a set or two of songs
        about autumn, or at least with an autumnal feel. Requests welcome.

        Also, if anyone has further suggestions on noir songs, I'm saving
        suggestions for a future show.

        Carl Z.
      • Andy Benham
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1 7:03 AM
          On 30 Sep 02, at 22:25, Carl Zimring wrote:

          > On the assumption that the temperature will dip below 80 and the leaves
          > will turn color sometime soon, I'll string together a set or two of songs
          > about autumn, or at least with an autumnal feel. Requests welcome.
          >
          > Also, if anyone has further suggestions on noir songs, I'm saving
          > suggestions for a future show.

          Did anyone ever suggest _Watching the detectives_ as a (film) noir
          track. A bit too obvious perhaps.

          I don't know how much more of this I can take
          She's filing her nails while they're dragging the lake

          Andy
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1 7:20 AM
            --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 3:03 PM +0100 Andy Benham
            <a.s.benham@...> wrote:

            > Did anyone ever suggest _Watching the detectives_ as a (film) noir
            > track. A bit too obvious perhaps.

            Perfect! "Watch Your Step" is another good one.

            They're making heroes out of fall guys
            They say it's good for business...

            Carl Z.
          • Steve Gardner
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1 8:00 AM
              Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground by the White Stripes
              Autumn Leaves by anyone and everyone

              steve

            • Kelly Kessler
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 1 8:14 AM
                It's a stretch, but the Handsome Family's "The Last" looks at autumn from
                the other side: "When the snow falls in late December, and you think of
                September and the girl you once knew" or something close to that.
              • Lance Davis
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 1 8:20 AM
                  September Gurls - Big Star
                  Autumn in New York - jazz standard, so take yer pick
                  Autumn Leaves - Cannonball Adderly

                  =====
                  "Now one day this world is gonna curl up and burst
                  It's gonna choke on it's own tongue and die of it's own thirst
                  Until that day comes our roads will always be long
                  But He's left signposts to guide us along."
                  --Brent Best

                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • mosurock@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 1 8:25 AM
                    cat stevens, "the wind"

                    On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:20:38 -0700 (PDT) Lance Davis <lwdavis1@...>
                    wrote:

                    > September Gurls - Big Star
                    > Autumn in New York - jazz standard, so take yer
                    > pick
                    > Autumn Leaves - Cannonball Adderly
                    >

                    > =====
                    > "Now one day this world is gonna curl up and
                    > burst
                    > It's gonna choke on it's own tongue and die of
                    > it's own thirst
                    > Until that day comes our roads will always be
                    > long
                    > But He's left signposts to guide us along."
                    > --Brent Best

                    doug mosurak
                    mosurock@...

                    http://www.versioncityrecords.com
                  • samchecker
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 1 8:52 AM
                      Gotta go for "It's Cold Outside" by Cleveland's own The Choir--it's on
                      the Nuggets 4-CD set. I've got Stiv Bators doing it on a Bomp single
                      as well.

                      Right now it's cold outside
                      And the rain is falling down
                      And the leaves are turning brown, can't you see
                      Right now it's cold outside
                      And it's all because of you
                      'Cause there's nothing I can do to make you love me

                      Mark
                    • samchecker
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 1 8:57 AM
                        Oh, and since it's unofficial Hitchcock Day, I should mention "Autumn
                        Is Your Last Chance", off _I Often Dream of Trains_.

                        Mark
                      • Wilson, Carl
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 1 10:54 AM
                          Autumn Sweater - Yo La Tengo (one of my favourite songs)
                          Murder in the Red Barn - Tom Waits ("Road kill has its seasons/ Just like
                          anything/ It's possums in the autumn/ And it's farm cats in the spring" -
                          deserves play for rhyming possum and autumn! Waits in general is autumn
                          music - autumn and noir are pretty closely related in my mind)
                          Suburban Autumn Lieutenant - Saint Etienne
                          September Song - by Kurt Weill, covered by various, including Lou Reed
                          Halloween - Dream Syndicate
                          Northern Sky - Nick Drake
                          Back to School - Thalia Zedek
                          anything by Dirty Three
                          any version of "All Along the Watchtower" (extremely autumnal imagery I'd
                          say)
                          and other songs about thieves
                          Catfish Song - Townes van Zandt ("Well, to meet is like springtime/ to
                          love's like the summer/ her brown eyes shone for nobody but me/ then autumn
                          forever, the fool come a fallin'/ and the rain turned to freezin' inside of
                          me." Esp. in Richard Buckner's cover on the promo version of Since --
                          Buckner's another quintessentially autumnal singer, I'm thinking especially
                          of his memory songs like "This Is Where" or "Li'l Wallet Picture" or "Once")
                          Only Him or Me - Townes van Zandt ("Autumn leaves and window panes/ may god
                          forgive us if you feel deceived" - another favourite song)
                          Autumn List - Willard Grant Conspiracy
                          When the Leaves Begin to Fall - Freakwater (on End Time)

                          carl w
                        • samchecker
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 1 11:42 AM
                            OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                            also on that Zombie Heaven box set)

                            I knew her when summer was her crown
                            And autumn, sad how brown her eyes

                            Damn, I love that album.

                            Mark

                            P.S. Nice catch on that Dream Syndicate tune, Carl W...
                          • Matt Benz
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 1 11:51 AM
                              Autumn Almanac
                              End of the Season

                              Kinks
                            • Bill Silvers
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 1 12:06 PM
                                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                                > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                                > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)

                                So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason for
                                asking. No, really.

                                b.s.
                              • chillout@gte.net
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 1 12:09 PM
                                  Has anyone mentioned "October" by U2?
                                  "October / And the trees are stripped bare /
                                  Of all they wear / What do I care".
                                • samchecker
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 1 12:11 PM
                                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Bill Silvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                                    > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                                    > > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                                    > > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)
                                    >
                                    > So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason
                                    for
                                    > asking. No, really.

                                    Nope. You need my address, hint hint?

                                    Mark
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 1 2:07 PM
                                      --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 7:11 PM +0000 samchecker
                                      <oneriot@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Bill Silvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                                      >> --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "samchecker" <oneriot@o...> wrote:
                                      >> > OK, one more--"Changes" by The Zombies (on Odyssey and Oracle, and
                                      >> > also on that Zombie Heaven box set)
                                      >>
                                      >> So, did you end up with a copy of that boxed set? I have a reason
                                      > for
                                      >> asking. No, really.
                                      >
                                      > Nope. You need my address, hint hint?

                                      Say, Bill, if you have extra copies of that box around, I know a good home
                                      for one. Has anyone seen the Blunstone/Argent shows this fall?

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 1 2:10 PM
                                        --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 1:54 PM -0400 "Wilson, Carl"
                                        <cwilson@...> wrote:

                                        <a whole bunch of good suggestions>

                                        I think Toronto deserves a radio show programmed by Carl Wilson. Maybe you
                                        could stump for a "Sound Opinions"-style show at one of the local stations.

                                        ("Sound Opinions" is a Chicago-based show that's been on about three
                                        stations over the past couple of decades. It's kind of a Siskel & Ebert of
                                        rock criticism, with plenty of music and the occasional interview.)

                                        Carl Z.
                                        enjoying all the autumn suggestions, and always looking for an excuse to
                                        break into the _Nuggets_ box
                                      • mosurock
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 1 2:12 PM
                                          No, but Blunstone's 1971 album "One Year" has been reissued on Sony/Rewind in
                                          the UK and is well worth owning. Sad as snakesnot.

                                          doug

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 1 2:13 PM
                                            --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 2:12 PM -0700 mosurock
                                            <mosurock@...> wrote:

                                            > No, but Blunstone's 1971 album "One Year" has been reissued on
                                            > Sony/Rewind in the UK and is well worth owning. Sad as snakesnot.

                                            I've never heard it. Are the arrangements similar to the Zombies' material?

                                            Carl Z.
                                          • mosurock
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 1 2:17 PM
                                              Much, much more lush; some orchestral stuff which takes Nick Drake's work on
                                              "Bryter Layter" and glooms it out considerably. He redoes "She Loves the Way
                                              They Love Her" confidently and then it's a straight trip to depression city,
                                              population = you. A must have, and I can't believe more people hadn't heard
                                              it. Argent plays on most of it too, I think.

                                              doug

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 1 2:20 PM
                                                --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 2:17 PM -0700 mosurock
                                                <mosurock@...> wrote:

                                                > Much, much more lush; some orchestral stuff which takes Nick Drake's work
                                                > on "Bryter Layter" and glooms it out considerably.

                                                I think I need to own this. I think WRCT needs to own this as well. Oh
                                                Paul...

                                                Carl Z.
                                              • mosurock
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 1 2:28 PM
                                                  maybe WRCT already does ... check the vinyl stacks.