Up (was Re: Soft Boys review)

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
      --On Monday, September 30, 2002 1:09 PM -0400 Rob Jefferson
      <jeffer@...> wrote:

      > The guests are relatively
      > unobtrusive and fit in well (even the Blind Boys of Alabama!), though I
      > found the posthumous appearance of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan to be a bit
      > jarring.

      Well, when you take 10 years to record an album, some of the participants
      may die before it gets released. (On the other end of the wheel of life,
      there's an article in the recent TapeOp that claims that Tchad Blake
      relocated to England to mix the album and stayed so long that he met and
      married a Real World engineer, and the couple has since had a child, all
      prior to the release of _Up_.)

      > The drum machine bits on the tracks get a little annoying, and while I'm
      > growing to like "The Barry Williams Show", it still feels out of place on
      > such a serious record -- the attack on TV talk shows feels a little too
      > sloppy and obvious.

      Fish, meet barrel and bullets. But I guess it's the most likely single.
      Can't imagine it being much of a hit.

      > (I get the feeling that David Geffen forced
      > Gabriel to put on something that sounded like a single, on pain of
      > dropping his contract.)

      Or whomever is the head of "Geffen Records" at this point. Geffen left
      years ago, and the label got folded into Interscope a while back. (That
      consolidation led to Aimee Mann leaving the label.) I didn't even realize
      that the album carried the Geffen imprint until you wrote this -- wonder if
      there are any other new Geffen releases? Maybe the long-awaited (by
      someone, somewhere) Guns'n'Roses...

      > Those complaints aside, I'm pretty happy with
      > the album so far.

      That's encouraging to hear. I've only heard it once and it seems too dense
      to judge by a cursory listening. Supposedly Peter Green's on it somewhere;
      I'll have to listen closely for his guitar.