Re: [fearnwhiskey] I'll believe it when I see it (Portishead album, also Bob Mould, Tom Waits news)

  • Andy Benham
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002
      On 30 Sep 02, at 11:37, Carl Zimring wrote:

      > Pitchfork is chock full of news today.
      >
      > Carl Z.

      But the notoriously
      > reclusive trio of
      > producer/DJ Geoff Barrow, jazz guitarist Adrian Utley, and soul crooner
      > Beth Gibbons
      > haven't uttered a word since their 1997 self-titled follow-up and its
      > near-immediate
      > successor, the 1998 live album, PNYC, which saw the band performing songs
      > from
      > their catalog with the aid of a 20-piece orchestra.

      I can give some news of Adrian Utley at least. He's all over the
      recently released debut album from Baxter Dury, _Len Parrott's
      memorial lift_. Baxter is the late Ian Dury's son and he's produced
      a really encouraging debut, all trippy psychedelic pop, kind of an
      English version of the Flaming lips. There's also hints of 'vaudeville'
      on there as well, sort of Small Faces style. Norman Watt-Roy
      plays as does the keyboard player from Spiritualized, whose name
      I can't remember. In common with his dad, Baxter's not the
      strongest vocalist in the world, so expect lots of voice effects. Still
      it's a good record, he certainly hasn't opted for using his fathers
      fame to further his career.

      Andy

      np new Low