Re: [fearnwhiskey] on the move

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 13 6:59 AM
      Bringing back Paul Pena into the story....he has "Gonna Move" and "Jet Airliner." Also, speaking of El Paso, there is the Gourds song "El Paso."

      There's a bunch of road songs such as "Route 66" and Billy Bragg's "A13 Trunk Road to the Sea."

      Scott Miller has "Across the Line" which is a great song that fits right in with Alejandro's "Across the River."

      Speaking of "across"...there's Bob Wills "Across the Alley from the Alamo" which was covered nicely by Robbie Fulks on the Pine Valley Cosmonauts CD.

      Led Zep, "Over the Hills and Far Away" segued into Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills" would be a nice touch. ;^)

      steve

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 13 7:19 AM
        Hey, I forgot a good one..."I'm Going Back to Mom and Dad's" by the Bad Livers. That could set off a whole string of songs about a kid returning to his parents...prodigal sons, etc.

        steve

      • Hill, Christopher J
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 13 7:25 AM
          How about Scrawl's "Don't We Always Get There?". Or several of the
          tracks off Magnetic Fields' _The Charm of the Highway Strip_ (like
          "Long Vermont Roads" or "Lonely Highway". Album lyrics at:
          http://themagneticfields.pair.com/lyrics/charm.html

          I like the title track off the Handsome Family's _In the Air_,
          too. Renny writes great lyrics:

          "Once I loved a girl named Joan whose skin smelled just like
          falling snow. One day she drove us off the road into a dead
          field of corn. She laughed and hit the gas as we bounced across
          the rows, but I held onto the dashboard with my eyes tightly
          closed."

          There are a few train songs on the new Richard Hawley cd,
          too.

          Chris
        • Lance Davis
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 13 7:43 AM
            I think Lucinda's Car Wheels might be right in line with what
            we've been talking about. The album literally drives the
            listener through numerous towns in the Deep South, and both the
            title track and Metal Firecracker explicitly feature vehicles in
            motion. On a deeper level, Lucinda's songs are typically about
            broken romances. Are these failures the result of wanderlust or
            is the narrator trying to deal with these failures by taking to
            the road?

            Speaking of Lucinda, I never really gave Essence much of a
            listen because the first song or two I heard seemed NOT really
            my thing. However, last night returning from a disapponting GBV
            show, KGSR was playing Bus to Baton Rouge. THAT is a great song
            and probably what you're looking for, Carl!

            I would definitely throw Tom Waits into the mix. If he ain't
            singing about trains - Downtown Train or The Train Song - his
            early work often featured very cool characters doing very cool
            things in cars - Diamonds on my Windshield, Looking for the
            Heart of Saturday Night, Ol '55, and about a dozen others.

            Finally, in a totally different mindset, how about Joe Henry's
            Trampoline? "And this time I'm not coming down ... this time I'm
            not coming down." If the character refuses to come down, then I
            guess he will be floating through space, which brings us back to
            your theme.

            Lance

            --- Carl Zimring <cz28@...> wrote:
            > Talk of _By the Hand of the Father_ has inspired me to try to
            > assemble a
            > theme of songs about movement through space. This includes
            > songs like
            > "Wave" and "Across the River"; Camper Van Beethoven's "Peace
            > and Love" and
            > "Borderline" and Joel Phelps's "At El Paso" also come to mind.
            > Anyone have
            > any other suggestions? Train songs would work here, as would
            > about half of
            > the Townes Van Zandt catalog.
            >
            > Carl Z.

            =====
            "I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either."
            --Repo Man

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          • czimring
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 13 7:58 AM
              These suggestions are great, keep 'em coming! I haven't played any
              Scrawl in a long time.... Opening the door to interstellar transit
              leads to all sorts of things from Sun Ra to Pink Floyd to
              Spiritualized, perhaps that'll be a future show unto itself.

              Carl Z.
              NPIMH: Tom Waits, "Train Song"
            • Lance Davis
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 13 8:42 AM
                Carl, the more I think about this, the more I think it's
                incumbent upon you that you include some Hendrix <g>. In
                addition to being the most complete guitarist who ever lived,
                it's pretty obvious that he was obsessed with travel (vehicular,
                psychological, lysergic, whatever <g>).

                An incomplete list of Jimi songs that address travel of one sort
                or another include: Hey Joe (OK, not Jimi's song, but work with
                me here), Stone Free, Highway Chile, Red House, Third Stone From
                the Sun, Spanish Castle Magic, Little Wing, You Got Me Floatin',
                Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland), Crosstown Traffic,
                Gypsy Eyes, 1983 ... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be), Moon, Turn
                the Tides ... Gently Gently Away, House Burning Down, Ezy Ryder,
                Astro Man, Angel, Hear My Train A-Comin', Hey Baby (Land of the
                New Rising Sun), Power Of Soul, Midnight Lightning, and lest we
                forget, his version of the Star-Spangled Banner featured the
                sounds of figher planes scorching the Vietnam terrain.

                No sun comin through my windows, feel like I'm livin at the
                bottom of a grave, Lance

                =====
                "I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either."
                --Repo Man

                http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
              • Laura A. Watt
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 13 8:54 AM
                  I've been having a Who revival lately myself, and so "Goin' Mobile"
                  is an obvious choice... or REM "Driver 8," always a crowd-pleaser...
                  or Led Zeppelin's "Goin' to California," always appropriate here...
                  or Aimee Mann's "Driving Sideways"... Nick Drake's "Road"...

                  humming,
                  laura

                  *****
                  http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/~lawatt
                  "You said to me, you're from California,
                  and you laugh too easily"
                  -- Mark Eitzel
                • Jyl Freed
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 13 10:37 AM
                    The dbs "Moving in Your Sleep"?

                    Jyl

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 13 10:40 AM
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Jyl Freed" <freed@m...> wrote:
                      > The dbs "Moving in Your Sleep"?
                      >
                      > Jyl

                      That would have been a good one for my plane ride Sunday...

                      Carl Z.
                    • Jyl Freed
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 13 10:41 AM
                        Tom Waits and interstellar transit reminded me also of Rickie
                        Lee Jones's "Ghost Train". That song still creeps me out.
                        Little too close to home, ya think? <g>

                        Jyl

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 13 10:44 AM
                          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Jyl Freed" <freed@m...> wrote:
                          > Tom Waits and interstellar transit reminded me also of Rickie
                          > Lee Jones's "Ghost Train". That song still creeps me out.
                          > Little too close to home, ya think? <g>

                          Yikes! Given Amtrak's budget woes, it's a political song as well. And
                          it reminded me of its Aussie twin, Paul Kelly's "Last Train to Heaven",
                          and perhaps Curtis's "People Get Ready"...

                          Carl Z.
                        • ahacksaw1
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 13 1:41 PM
                            How about almost all of Son Volt's _Trace_, not to mention a few songs
                            off the next two SV records too.

                            And don't forget "I've Been Everywhere."
                          • Steve Gardner
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 13 2:01 PM
                              >And don't forget "I've Been Everywhere."

                              Which reminds me of Chuck Berry's "Promised Land."

                              steve
                            • Lance Davis
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 13 2:06 PM
                                >> And don't forget "I've Been Everywhere."
                                >
                                > Which reminds me of Chuck Berry's "Promised Land."
                                >
                                > steve

                                Which reminds me of Sweet Little Sixteen, Back in the USA and
                                Bye, Bye Johnny <g>.

                                Lance

                                =====
                                "I know what you say, you say you serve the youth
                                You serve them Bizkits and Korn with a spoon
                                But I think you just serve you."
                                --Brent Best

                                http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                              • Wilson, Carl
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 13 5:44 PM
                                  Chris Hill wrote: There are a few train songs on the new Richard Hawley cd,
                                  too.

                                  And since Chris had just mentioned Sprawl, the Magnetic Fields and the
                                  Handsome Family, I think I'd better ask who Richard Hawley is.

                                  carlw
                                • czimring
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 14 6:33 AM
                                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                                    > >> And don't forget "I've Been Everywhere."
                                    > >
                                    > > Which reminds me of Chuck Berry's "Promised Land."
                                    > >
                                    > > steve
                                    >
                                    > Which reminds me of Sweet Little Sixteen, Back in the USA and
                                    > Bye, Bye Johnny <g>.

                                    Chuck had places to go and people to see. Now I have the Beatles'
                                    parody "Back in the USSR" in my head...

                                    Carl Z.
                                  • Lance Davis
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 14 7:43 AM
                                      <<Chuck had places to go and people to see. Now I have the
                                      Beatles' parody "Back in the USSR" in my head...Carl Z>>

                                      Wait ... I thought that was Billy Joel song <g>.

                                      Lance

                                      =====

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 14 7:46 AM
                                        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                                        > <<Chuck had places to go and people to see. Now I have the
                                        > Beatles' parody "Back in the USSR" in my head...Carl Z>>
                                        >
                                        > Wait ... I thought that was Billy Joel song <g>.

                                        Now I have a shooting pain in my head...