Re: hello!

  • wfsilvers
    Message 1 of 26 , May 19, 2002
      "czimring" wrote:

      > KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
      > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night) the same weekend as
      > Twangfest

      It's a shame you'll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh
      occasionally, doesn't she?
      Anyhow, I'm jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did "Allison" from
      that upcoming Stiff tribute record?

      b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for Vulgar
      Boatmen spin-offs( and so many people ask me!<g>), but who thinks the
      MJ's are OK too
    • czimring
      Message 2 of 26 , May 19, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
        > I haven't even heard any Silkworm yet.What should I start with (if I
        > ever get any money)

        There's that money thing. I love Silkworm and I love Joel Phelps, but
        I think they've made their best music away from each other. If you
        want to hear their best stuff with Joel, I agree that _Libertine_ is
        the high point of that incarnation of the band, though the Matador
        compilation _Even a Blind Chicken_ collects a lot of good material.
        I'd start with the first trio record _Firewater_ (especially if you
        like drinking songs -- gotta get the "whiskey" content in for this
        list!), but any of the subsequent records save _Developer_ are fine
        places to start. The new one is splendid; if you want to wait a
        couple of weeks and dig Kelly Hogan, that would make an excellent
        introduction.

        I don't remember if they have any mp3's at the official band website,
        but maybe Touch & Go or www.12xu.net (their UK label) have something.

        > KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
        > > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night)
        >
        > She is out in Seattle too but hasn't played yet. What's going on
        > here?!

        She comes to town at least once a year. Don't know if a new record is
        in the works or if she's just doing a tour to tour.

        > We are going to see the Knitters tonight.This woman Jesse Skyes is
        > backing them up.You guys may like her, she's a mopey twanger,lots of
        > strings on the record. I like her.

        I haven't heard this yet but will check to see if we have it in at the
        station. Is she from Seattle?

        Carl
      • czimring
        Message 3 of 26 , May 19, 2002
          About Ms. Hersh "wfsilvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
          > It's a shame you'll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh
          > occasionally, doesn't she?

          About once a year, so I'm not slitting my wrists over missing this
          one. Pittsburgh's a funny town -- we can go weeks with few good shows
          and then there's a cluster of can't-miss shows. I left town for a
          week in 1998 and managed to miss very-rare appearances by Paul Kelly
          and Pere Ubu. Kelly finally came back last month but I'm still
          waiting on Ubu. I'll miss KH this time, but luckily Alejandro
          Escovedo plays a free oudoor show the following Tuesday.

          > Anyhow, I'm jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did "Allison" from
          > that upcoming Stiff tribute record?

          They did not, but Janas unveiled a few new songs, some of which sound
          like she's been listening to gospel. Good stuff, I hope they make it
          to a CD comes out before too long.

          > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for Vulgar
          > Boatmen spin-offs( and so many people ask me!<g>), but who thinks the
          > MJ's are OK too

          Did they put a record out last year, Bill? If you bring in the Silos,
          that's quite a fertile family tree.

          Carl
        • Patrick Randerson
          Message 4 of 26 , May 19, 2002
            It's been so long since I've had an earful of fear and whiskey!
            Though when I saw the group name, I thought it was fernwhiskey -- some
            group about making pre-cambrian alcohol or a bunch of washington state
            hippies.

            Anyhow, I'll argue that Firewater is probably the best Silkworm record,
            but I have a hard time picking between the foursome-era Libertine and In
            the West. In the West is rough and raw, and there's some really great
            tracks on it.
            Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
            into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

            Here's hoping that the new one smacks me in the face like In the West did.

            I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
            of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
            long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
            new one worth it?

            I've yet to find any radio in Columbus, OH that gives me my new music fix,
            so I'm stuck with recommendations + Audiogalaxy to tell me what to buy.
          • Rob Jefferson
            Message 5 of 26 , May 20, 2002
              On Sun, 19 May 2002, Patrick Randerson wrote:

              > Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
              > into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

              I really couldn't get into Developer. It was an okay album, but a bit of
              a letdown, since there wasn't much that stood out (except, perhaps, for
              "Ice Station Zebra"). I didn't mind Blueblood too much -- true, it wasn't
              a great album, but it had its share of moments, even if occasionally they
              sounded downright bored. Aside from "Treat the New Guy Right" and the
              Faces cover, I wasn't too keen on Lifestyle. Just seemed...rather
              mediocre for them.

              > I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
              > of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
              > long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
              > new one worth it?

              There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.
              Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
              her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky Motel.
              Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable -- but
              that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with it. I
              still say to pick it up, though.

              And...err...hi, Patrick. Long time no see. :)

              rob
            • Patrick Randerson
              Message 6 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                > There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.

                Apparently not. Shows how much I pay attention to anything these days. I
                saw Sunny Border Blue in the store, read some reviews online, and never
                bothered to look at the release date. So yeah, that was a long time ago --
                I need to get out of the lab and into the record store more often.

                I'll just sit down and be quiet...
              • czimring
                Message 7 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Rob Jefferson <jeffer@t...> wrote:
                  > Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
                  > her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky
                  Motel.
                  > Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable
                  -- but
                  > that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with
                  it. I
                  > still say to pick it up, though.

                  It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
                  _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
                  than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
                  striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
                  Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
                  haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

                  Carl
                • Laura A. Watt
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                    It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
                    _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
                    than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
                    striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
                    Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
                    haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

                    She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!

                    laura
                  • czimring
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                      > She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!
                      >
                      > laura

                      Really? Who's in the band? I eagerly await this one...

                      Carl
                    • Laura A. Watt
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                        Same band, I'm pretty sure -- I've not been following the latest
                        news, but I'm sure there's plenty of info on the website,
                        http://www.throwingmusic.com

                        The new Works in Progress is up and waiting to be subscribed to, too
                        -- there have been three songs so far, two of which she more or less
                        said "this is when i knew it was going to have to be a Muses
                        record"...

                        full of incomplete information,
                        laura
                      • czimring
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                          > full of incomplete information,
                          > laura

                          Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                          that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and they
                          aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo set
                          at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                          Carl
                        • wfsilvers
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> replied to my MoL :

                            > > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for
                            Vulgar Boatmen spin-offs

                            > Did they put a record out last year, Bill?

                            Yup, October 23rd (if the AMG is to be believed). It's called DISTANT
                            RELATIVE and it's self-released, which is probably why it flew way
                            under my radar till this spring (and even then I kept forgetting about
                            it...I've finally got a copy on order, and I'll report back once i've
                            heard it). The MoL website appears to be down
                            ( members.aol.com/autobeatnik/ )
                            which might have a little something to do with the massive buzz the
                            record isn't getting.

                            > If you bring in the Silos, that's quite a fertile family tree.

                            Yeah, though The Silos are sort of the older brother of the Boatmen,
                            which makes them an uncle to MoL, unless they're an aunt...I'm getting
                            all confused now. If you bring MoL's Antenna mom into it, and the
                            Blake Babies grandma (or is it aunt?), well, I'm getting all confused.
                            <g>

                            b.s.
                          • lmerlin01
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

                              > Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                              > that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and
                              they
                              > aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo
                              set
                              > at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                              Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                              Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                              about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                              one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                              so I can play it now?

                              Carl asked about Jesse Sykes. Yes, she's from Seattle and plays with
                              a band called the Sweet Hereafter with her boyfriend Phil, the
                              grumpy one who played with Whiskeytown <g>. I really like most of
                              the record, very melodic, sad, although her voice won't be for
                              everyone. Check, check , check it out!

                              Lisa
                            • Laura A Watt
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                                Lisa wrote:

                                >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                >so I can play it now?

                                It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                                called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                                it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                                fan ever since.

                                A massive poll was recently done via the TM website to determine
                                folks' favorite songs, which I believe Billy is going to use in part
                                to great a "greatest hits" sort of thing at some point -- to see the
                                poll results, go to

                                http://www.solace.net/musings/BestMusesSongs.htm

                                I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                                in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                                completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                                others in the next ten.

                                waking up to hooks in my head,
                                laura
                              • czimring
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Laura A Watt <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                  > Lisa wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                  > >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                  > >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                  > >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                  > >so I can play it now?
                                  >
                                  > It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                                  > called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                                  > it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                                  > fan ever since.

                                  And if you can't track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch
                                  of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago.

                                  [poll]
                                  > I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                                  > in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                                  > completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                                  > others in the next ten.

                                  I dig "Hate My Way", but am *shocked* that "Call Me" didn't even make
                                  the cut! (Both of those songs are on _Throwing Muses_ and are among
                                  my favorite songs of the 1980s.)

                                  Carl Z.*

                                  *By way of a welcome to Carl Wilson on this list (our first
                                  Canadian!), I shall now add an initial to differentiate our posts.