Carmaig de Forest comes east

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23 7:43 AM
      I got mail from ukelele player Carmaig de Forest announcing that he's moved
      from California to Baltimore. I first saw Carmaig open for Camper Van
      Beethoven in Santa Cruz back around 1987. He was playing songs off of _I
      Shall Be Released_, an album where his ukelele was backed by a band led by
      Alex Chilton, performing caustic political folk such as "Crack's No Worse
      Than the Fascist Threat" and "Hey Judas", an epic than compares Ronald
      Reagan unfavorably with Jim Jones (the 70s messiah, not the Ubu guitarist),
      Judas and Adolf Hitler. It sounded like a much angrier Violent Femmes with
      sharp political sensibilities, much better lyrics and a great cover of the
      old Johnny Rivers classic "Secret Agent Man".

      Carmaig's profile has never been terribly high, but he resurfaced about six
      years ago with an album called _El Camino Royale_ produced by onetime Blue
      Rodeo keyboardist Bob Wiseman. That album included a gem called "Coldwater
      Park" about a guy who revisits his old neighborhood, wistfully recalling
      childhood memories before killing a narc in a drug deal gone bad. It's a
      superbly-crafted song, one that I still play from time to time on my show.

      It's been a while since I've seen his live act, but from what I remember,
      he manages to straddle the folk-punk line without being annoying, cutsey or
      didactic. (There are mp3's at www.carmaig.com if you want to hear for
      yourself.) Here's his itinerary.

      Oct 4 New York, NY Sidewalk Cafe
      Oct 5 Philadelphia, PA XFS house concert TBA
      Oct 25 Baltimore, MD The 14Karat Cabaret
      Dec 14 Baltimore, MD The Roots Cafe at St. John's Church