Good Company

  • Deliberate Strangers
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
      >hazel dickens & alice gerrard / mining camp blues
      >deliberate strangers / anthracite
      >bob dylan / maggie's farm

      Thanks for the Labor Day spin, especially in a Hazel and Bob sandwich.

      Last Wednesday night I had the pleasure of catching a show at Quiet Storm by
      a feller named Curtis Eller. I've rarely by so riveted. Curtis sings and
      accompanies himself on banjo and uke. Plus he yodels. Think Dock Boggs meets
      Tom Waits at Reid Paley's Brooklyn abode and you're in the ballpark. This
      was a solo show, but he also has a band called American Circus. His songs
      are so dark that they make The Strangers seem like an episode of the
      Tele-Tubbies. That said, I highly recomend checking him out if you have a
      chance.

      Tom Moran

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2002
        --On Tuesday, September 3, 2002 4:39 PM +0000 Deliberate Strangers
        <deliberate_strangers@...> wrote:

        > Last Wednesday night I had the pleasure of catching a show at Quiet Storm
        > by a feller named Curtis Eller. I've rarely by so riveted. Curtis sings
        > and accompanies himself on banjo and uke. Plus he yodels. Think Dock
        > Boggs meets Tom Waits at Reid Paley's Brooklyn abode and you're in the
        > ballpark. This was a solo show, but he also has a band called American
        > Circus. His songs are so dark that they make The Strangers seem like an
        > episode of the Tele-Tubbies. That said, I highly recomend checking him
        > out if you have a chance.

        Tom's description made me go snooping and I found Eller's webpage at
        <http://www.curtiseller.com>. He has several mp3s -- I only listened to
        one because they take a while to load, but if you like banjo, check him
        out. "The Execution of Black Diamond" is pretty dark.