Re: [fearnwhiskey] Topsoil/Haywire Playlist for 9/1/2 on WXDU Durham

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      > > *Johnny Cash/Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream/
      > > Live at Madison Square Garden/Columbia Legacy
      > > [Ed McCurdy song from a live set from 1969.]
      >
      > First of all, nice set Steve. Now, how does this JC disc stand
      > up to the Folsom and San Quentin shows? Is the setlist much
      > different?

      The set definitely has a different feel than the Jail Cds. First of all, the
      set was recorded in NYC instead of Jail, so you get more yawns than cheers
      when someone gets murdered. <g> Country music shows in NYC were a rarity in
      1969 (according to the liner notes, I personally, wasn't paying attention).
      The show itself is much less raw and more more formal than the others. This
      sounds like I'm setting it up to say that it sucks...it doesn't. I really
      like it, but it has a really different vibe. The track listing is quite
      amazing. I'll include it below. It also has some neat guests including Carl
      Perkins, the Statler Brothers, the Carter Family, and his brother Tommy. In
      the audience is Shel Silverstein and his father, Ray Cash.

      Johnny sounds great and so does the band. A lot of the songs are really
      short. I'm not sure if they are short or if they've cut out some verses to
      keep the show moving.

      The liner notes are good too.

      Here's the tracklisting:

      1. Big River (Cash/Cash)
      2. I Still Miss Someone
      3. Five Feet High and Rising
      4. Pickin' Time
      5. Remember the Alamo
      6. Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream
      7. Wreck of the Old '97
      8. The Long Black Veil
      9. The Wall
      10. Send a Picture of Mother
      11. Folsom Prison Blues (Cash)
      12. Blue Suede Shoes
      13. Flowers on the Wall
      14. Wildwood Flower
      15. Worried Man Blues
      16. A Boy Named Sue
      17. Cocaine Blues
      18. Jesus Was a Carpenter
      19. Ballad of Ira Hayes
      20. As Long as the Grass Shall Grow
      21. Sing a Traveling Song performed by Cash / Anita Carter
      22. He Turned the Water into Wine performed by Cash / Anita Carter
      23. Were You There (When They Crucified My... performed by Cash /
      Carter Family
      24. Daddy Sang Bass
      25. Finale Medley: A. Do What You Do Do Well;...
      26. Suppertime

      >And who the hell is Ed McCurdy?

      Ed McCurdy is a folk guy.

      More info on this CD here: