Re: [fearnwhiskey] Topsoil/Haywire Playlist for 9/1/2 on WXDU Durham

  • Lance Davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      > *Johnny Cash/Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream/
      > Live at Madison Square Garden/Columbia Legacy
      > [Ed McCurdy song from a live set from 1969.]

      First of all, nice set Steve. Now, how does this JC disc stand
      up to the Folsom and San Quentin shows? Is the setlist much
      different? And who the hell is Ed McCurdy?

      Lance, back to the game

      =====
      "May the good Lord shine a light on you
      May every song you sing be your favorite tune."
      --Rolling Stones, 1972

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
        > > *Johnny Cash/Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream/
        > > Live at Madison Square Garden/Columbia Legacy
        > > [Ed McCurdy song from a live set from 1969.]
        >
        > First of all, nice set Steve. Now, how does this JC disc stand
        > up to the Folsom and San Quentin shows? Is the setlist much
        > different?

        The set definitely has a different feel than the Jail Cds. First of all, the
        set was recorded in NYC instead of Jail, so you get more yawns than cheers
        when someone gets murdered. <g> Country music shows in NYC were a rarity in
        1969 (according to the liner notes, I personally, wasn't paying attention).
        The show itself is much less raw and more more formal than the others. This
        sounds like I'm setting it up to say that it sucks...it doesn't. I really
        like it, but it has a really different vibe. The track listing is quite
        amazing. I'll include it below. It also has some neat guests including Carl
        Perkins, the Statler Brothers, the Carter Family, and his brother Tommy. In
        the audience is Shel Silverstein and his father, Ray Cash.

        Johnny sounds great and so does the band. A lot of the songs are really
        short. I'm not sure if they are short or if they've cut out some verses to
        keep the show moving.

        The liner notes are good too.

        Here's the tracklisting:

        1. Big River (Cash/Cash)
        2. I Still Miss Someone
        3. Five Feet High and Rising
        4. Pickin' Time
        5. Remember the Alamo
        6. Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream
        7. Wreck of the Old '97
        8. The Long Black Veil
        9. The Wall
        10. Send a Picture of Mother
        11. Folsom Prison Blues (Cash)
        12. Blue Suede Shoes
        13. Flowers on the Wall
        14. Wildwood Flower
        15. Worried Man Blues
        16. A Boy Named Sue
        17. Cocaine Blues
        18. Jesus Was a Carpenter
        19. Ballad of Ira Hayes
        20. As Long as the Grass Shall Grow
        21. Sing a Traveling Song performed by Cash / Anita Carter
        22. He Turned the Water into Wine performed by Cash / Anita Carter
        23. Were You There (When They Crucified My... performed by Cash /
        Carter Family
        24. Daddy Sang Bass
        25. Finale Medley: A. Do What You Do Do Well;...
        26. Suppertime

        >And who the hell is Ed McCurdy?

        Ed McCurdy is a folk guy.

        More info on this CD here: