Topsoil/Haywire Playlist for 9/1/2 on WXDU Durham

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi,

      Here is today's playlist. There's a new album of the month, the Gourds "Cow
      Fish Fowl or Pig." The first hour was taken up with themed sets devoted to
      the much needed rain we received this week, and Labor Day.

      Cheers.
      Steve Gardner
      www.topsoil.net
      www.wxdu.org
      steve@...

      TOPSOIL
      =======
      *Bottle Rockets/Bud Nanney Theme/Bottle Rockets/ESD
      [Theme song]

      [I started out this week's show with a set about rain. After a
      long drought we received about a week's worth of rain. It'd
      been raining constantly for at least a few days when I went
      in to do my show. We still need more, though, so consider
      this a rain dance and not a complaint.]

      *Oh Susanna/Johnstown/Johnstown/Stella
      *Johnny Cash/Muddy Waters/Silver/Columbia Legacy
      *Scott Miller/The Rains/Are You With Me?/Self
      *Violent Femmes/It's Gonna Rain/Hallowed Ground/Slash
      [Request]
      *Greg Trooper/Real Like That/Straight Down Rain/Eminent
      *Jayhawks/Settled Down Like Rain/Hollywood Town Hall/American
      *Sir Douglas Quintet/The Rains Came/Live Texas Tornado/Takoma

      [The following set was pulled together to focus on some nice
      Johnny Cash reissues put out by Columbia Legacy. These include
      the following three, as well as the album Silver" which I played in
      the last set.]
      *Johnny Cash/Three Feet High and Rising/Songs Of Our Soil/
      Columbia Legacy
      *Johnny Cash/Sam Hall/Sings the Ballads of the True West/
      Columbia Legacy
      *Johnny Cash/Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream/Live at
      Madison Square Garden/Columbia Legacy
      [Ed McCurdy song from a live set from 1969.]

      *Bob Dylan/A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall/Greatest Hits, Vol 2/
      Columbia
      [Another rain song, by request.]

      [A labor day set.]
      *Billy Bragg/Between the Wars/Back to Basics/Elektra
      *Hazel Dickens/They'll Never Keep Us Down/Hard Hitting
      Songs For Hard Hit People/Rounder
      *Merle Haggard/Working Man Blues/The Lonesome Fugitive/
      Razor and Tie

      ALBUM FEATURE OF THE MONTH
      The Gourds
      "Cow Fish Fowl or Pig"
      Sugar Hill
      *My Name Is Jorge
      *Roll & Tumble
      *1st in Line
      *Foggy Blossom (Mechanical Bride)

      *Iris DeMent/The Train Carrying Jimmie Rodgers Home/Going
      Driftless/Red House
      *Kelly Willis/Don't Come The Cowboy With Me, Sonny Jim/Easy/
      Rykodisc
      *Guy Clark/Queenie's Song/The Dark/Sugar Hill
      [A terrific song about a New Years Eve spent at Terry Allen's
      house in Sante Fe when someone shot his dog, Queenie. If Guy
      (and Terry) is as mad as he seems in this song, I nearly feel
      sorry for the guy who did it if they ever catch him.]
      *David Childers/The Old Church Is Still Standing/Blessed In An
      Unusual Way/Ramseur

      *Peter Bruntnell/Murder In the Afternoon/Ends of the Earth/
      Back Porch-Virgin
      *Neko Case/Tightly/Blacklisted/Bloodshot
      *Beaver Nelson/Mad River/Undisturbed/Black Dog
      *Gerald Collier/Hittin' the Wall/Gerald Collier/Revolution

      *Star Room Boys/Cocaine Parties/This World Just Won't Leave
      You Alone/Slewfoot
      [The Star Room Boys broke up. :^( Wah.]
      *Bap Kennedy/Good Times On Franklin Road/Lonely Street/Dressed
      To Kill
      *Robbie Fulks/I've Got To Tell Myself the Truth/Couples in
      Trouble/Boondoggle

      HAYWIRE
      =========
      *Western Keys/Gettin' Sick/Damage/The Self Starter Foundation
      [This band sounds like Isaac from Modest Mouse fronting
      Death Cab for Cutie. Melodic indie rock. Sounds good.]
      *Pedal Steel Transmission/Self Service Rest/In The Winter It
      Makes The Grass Look Green/2
      [A 10+ minute track from this band which carries on
      where the American Music Club left off.]
      *Varnaline/Northern Lights/Sweet Life/Zero Hour

      *The Mekons/Thee Olde Trip To Jerusalem/Ooooh!/Quarterstick
      [I still haven't heard this album in its entirety, but if it is as
      good as this song is...whoo wah, I can't wait to hear the whole
      thing!]
      *Everything But The Girl/Ugly Little Dreams/Love Not Money/Blanco
      y Negro
      *Bright Eyes/False Advertising/LIFTED or The Story Is In The Soil,
      Keep Your Ear To The Ground/Saddle Creek
      *Roky Erickson and the Aliens/Don't Shake Me Lucifer/The Evil
      One (plus one)/Sympathy For the Record Industry
      [This track followed a new PSA on the station that quotes the
      Production Director of Clear Channel in a recent letter to
      Entertainment Weekly that says that listening to college radio
      is akin to "pure Hell" and if people did that for 30 minutes they'd come
      running back to a Clear Channel station because "we play the
      hits." Our new motto at WXDU is "Welcome to Hell."]
      *Mclusky/To Hell With Good Intentions/Mclusky to Dallas/Too Pure

      *Soul Junk/Gotham/1957/Sounds Are Active
      [New CD from two producers Galaxalag and Slo-Ro who together
      test the boundaries of hip hop by including everything including
      the kitchen sink into the mix. If you like your hip hop to be leading
      a charge instead of following, check out this new release:
      http://www.soundsareactive.com/saa1105.html%5d
      *Midwest Product/Beardman in the City/Specifics/Ghostly International
      *Layo & Bushwacka!/Sleepy Language/Night Works/XL Recordings
      *Spoon/Jonathan Fisk/Kill the Moonlight/Merge
      [A contender for album of the year.]

      *Thalia Zedek/1926/Been Here and Gone/Matador
      --
      Steve Gardner - Topsoil/Haywire - Sun. 12-3pm
      WXDU 88.7FM Durham NC and on the Net at www.wxdu.org
      Fresh Dirt Webzine: www.topsoil.net/freshdirt
      * steve@... **** www.topsoil.net *
    • Lance Davis
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
        > *Johnny Cash/Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream/
        > Live at Madison Square Garden/Columbia Legacy
        > [Ed McCurdy song from a live set from 1969.]

        First of all, nice set Steve. Now, how does this JC disc stand
        up to the Folsom and San Quentin shows? Is the setlist much
        different? And who the hell is Ed McCurdy?

        Lance, back to the game

        =====
        "May the good Lord shine a light on you
        May every song you sing be your favorite tune."
        --Rolling Stones, 1972

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • Steve Gardner
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
          > > *Johnny Cash/Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream/
          > > Live at Madison Square Garden/Columbia Legacy
          > > [Ed McCurdy song from a live set from 1969.]
          >
          > First of all, nice set Steve. Now, how does this JC disc stand
          > up to the Folsom and San Quentin shows? Is the setlist much
          > different?

          The set definitely has a different feel than the Jail Cds. First of all, the
          set was recorded in NYC instead of Jail, so you get more yawns than cheers
          when someone gets murdered. <g> Country music shows in NYC were a rarity in
          1969 (according to the liner notes, I personally, wasn't paying attention).
          The show itself is much less raw and more more formal than the others. This
          sounds like I'm setting it up to say that it sucks...it doesn't. I really
          like it, but it has a really different vibe. The track listing is quite
          amazing. I'll include it below. It also has some neat guests including Carl
          Perkins, the Statler Brothers, the Carter Family, and his brother Tommy. In
          the audience is Shel Silverstein and his father, Ray Cash.

          Johnny sounds great and so does the band. A lot of the songs are really
          short. I'm not sure if they are short or if they've cut out some verses to
          keep the show moving.

          The liner notes are good too.

          Here's the tracklisting:

          1. Big River (Cash/Cash)
          2. I Still Miss Someone
          3. Five Feet High and Rising
          4. Pickin' Time
          5. Remember the Alamo
          6. Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream
          7. Wreck of the Old '97
          8. The Long Black Veil
          9. The Wall
          10. Send a Picture of Mother
          11. Folsom Prison Blues (Cash)
          12. Blue Suede Shoes
          13. Flowers on the Wall
          14. Wildwood Flower
          15. Worried Man Blues
          16. A Boy Named Sue
          17. Cocaine Blues
          18. Jesus Was a Carpenter
          19. Ballad of Ira Hayes
          20. As Long as the Grass Shall Grow
          21. Sing a Traveling Song performed by Cash / Anita Carter
          22. He Turned the Water into Wine performed by Cash / Anita Carter
          23. Were You There (When They Crucified My... performed by Cash /
          Carter Family
          24. Daddy Sang Bass
          25. Finale Medley: A. Do What You Do Do Well;...
          26. Suppertime

          >And who the hell is Ed McCurdy?

          Ed McCurdy is a folk guy.

          More info on this CD here: