JRLP

  • Kathleen Loebig
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2002
      I just got myself signed up here...I didn't get through all the old messages, but I know someone from Seattle was saying they hadn't got to see JRLP play, so I thought I'd pass along that he will be playing with Treasure State (cd release) and the Shins at the I-Spy on July 5th.

      More info at www.moneyshotrecs.com

      I'm pretty sure this is the first time he's played out since the opening slot for Television last summer at the EMP, which was for me, one of the best live sets I've heard from him. I will be there for sure.

      -kathleen
      Download the free Opera browser at http://www.opera.com/

      Powered by Outblaze
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2002
        >More info at www.moneyshotrecs.com

        Thanks for the info. I noticed on the website, this write-up about the
        Treasure State. I'd never heard of them (I'm new to this list too), but
        they sound interesting. I'm downloading their MP3 from moneyshot now. Has
        anyone out there seen them, or know much about them? (Forgive me if I just
        wasn't paying attention)

        RE: Treasure State . The group formed in early 2001, comprised of three,
        but led by one Robert Mercer. Robert is guitarist and utility man in Joel
        R.L. Phelps' Downer Trio. As an instrumentalist Robert has been largely
        overlooked (it is Joel's Downer Trio, after all), but, I think, fans will
        find his spartan, sharp gtr fixtures and reedy singin' are surely somethin'.
        Drummer Mitch Leffler enlisted, a man with no known musical past, besides
        showing up and bootlegging every Downer Trio and Silkworm show in the 90's
        (ala Cal Ripken, if you know what I mean) and being able to whallop the kit
        for every unspoken and unknown musical demand. The trio was completed by
        Bassist Danny Rathman, whose hard-hat-and-lunch-pail/utilitarian approach to
        the instrument was a welcome relief to those of us live music lovers
        beleaguered by horrible overbusy spaz-case losers who populate most amateur
        social coteries known as "bands". Within the past couple months, I forget
        exactly when, Danny up and left to Rhode Island, citing nothing more noble
        than an "employment contract." It is his great bass playing which is heard
        on Retain the Risk. Thankfully, a capable man of Leffler's acquaintance
        name of Aaron Sheedy was recruited, who, despite not playing with a pick
        (normally a major pet peeve), does not clutter the sound (i.e. plays pretty
        good) in this more-critical-than-most-bass-positions. I was impressed, at
        least.

        steve
      • Kathleen Loebig
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2002
          I've seen Treasure State twice now - once last year at the Tim Midgett going away show (think it was one of their first outings) and then a few weeks back with some other local bands. I've still only heard the un-mastered version of the forthcoming release, and wasn't sure if I was going to be to excited about the live show, but I really quite enjoyed the most recent outing. They seem to be packing a bit more punch in the live show that didn't seem to come across as much in the rough cuts of the album.

          Definitely worth checking out if their Shins tour comes near you....

          -kathleen

          ----- Original Message -----<BR>
          From: "Steve Gardner" <steve@...><BR>
          Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:39:39 -0400<BR>
          To: <fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com><BR>
          Subject: Re: [fearnwhiskey] JRLP<BR>
          <BR>

          <tt>
          >More info at www.moneyshotrecs.com<BR>
          <BR>
          Thanks for the info.� I noticed on the website, this write-up about the<BR>
          Treasure State.� I'd never heard of them (I'm new to this list too), but<BR>
          they sound interesting. I'm downloading their MP3 from moneyshot now.� Has<BR>
          anyone out there seen them, or know much about them?� (Forgive me if I just<BR>
          wasn't paying attention)<BR>
          <BR>
          RE:� Treasure State� . The group formed in early 2001, comprised of three,<BR>
          but led by one Robert Mercer. Robert is guitarist and utility man in Joel<BR>
          R.L. Phelps' Downer Trio. As an instrumentalist Robert has been largely<BR>
          overlooked (it is Joel's Downer Trio, after all), but, I think, fans will<BR>
          find his spartan, sharp gtr fixtures and reedy singin' are surely somethin'.<BR>
          Drummer Mitch Leffler enlisted, a man with no known musical past, besides<BR>
          showing up and bootlegging every Downer Trio and Silkworm show in the 90's<BR>
          (ala Cal Ripken, if you know what I mean) and being able to whallop the kit<BR>
          for every unspoken and unknown musical demand. The trio was completed by<BR>
          Bassist Danny Rathman, whose hard-hat-and-lunch-pail/utilitarian approach to<BR>
          the instrument was a welcome relief to those of us live music lovers<BR>
          beleaguered by horrible overbusy spaz-case losers who populate most amateur<BR>
          social coteries known as "bands". Within the past couple months, I forget<BR>
          exactly when, Danny up and left to Rhode Island, citing nothing more noble<BR>
          than an "employment contract." It is his great bass playing which is heard<BR>
          on� Retain the Risk. Thankfully, a capable man of Leffler's acquaintance<BR>
          name of Aaron Sheedy was recruited, who, despite not playing with a pick<BR>
          (normally a major pet peeve), does not clutter the sound (i.e. plays pretty<BR>
          good) in this more-critical-than-most-bass-positions. I was impressed, at<BR>
          least.<BR>
          <BR>
          steve<BR>
          <BR>
          <BR>
          </tt>

          <tt>
          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<BR>
          fearnwhiskey-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<BR>
          <BR>
          </tt>

          Download the free Opera browser at http://www.opera.com/

          Powered by Outblaze
        • czimring
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2002
            Oooo, I want to hear this. And if Mr. Leffler really has that many
            Downer Trio/Silkworm shows archived, I may need his email address!

            Carl Z.
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Steve Gardner" <steve@t...> clipped:

            > RE: Treasure State . The group formed in early 2001, comprised of
            three,
            > but led by one Robert Mercer. Robert is guitarist and utility man in
            Joel
            > R.L. Phelps' Downer Trio. As an instrumentalist Robert has been largely
            > overlooked (it is Joel's Downer Trio, after all), but, I think, fans
            will
            > find his spartan, sharp gtr fixtures and reedy singin' are surely
            somethin'.
            > Drummer Mitch Leffler enlisted, a man with no known musical past,
            besides
            > showing up and bootlegging every Downer Trio and Silkworm show in
            the 90's
            > (ala Cal Ripken, if you know what I mean) and being able to whallop
            the kit
            > for every unspoken and unknown musical demand.
          • lmerlin01
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 16, 2002
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Kathleen Loebig" <missdiva@o...> wrote:
              > I just got myself signed up here...I didn't get through all the
              old messages, but I know someone from Seattle was saying they hadn't
              got to see JRLP play, so I thought I'd pass along that he will be
              playing with Treasure State (cd release) and the Shins at the I-Spy
              on July 5th.

              Playing catch up again. This is GREAT news as I love the Shins as
              well.I'm really looking forward to this show. It would be cool to
              meet you, Kathleen, and other Seattle folks on this list that I
              haven't met.

              Lisa
            • Kathleen Loebig
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 18, 2002
                I think I was wrong about the Shins on the bill, but we shall find out.

                I agree that it would be great to meet other listers from Sea-town. I've only been here a little over a year and I'm always looking for show buddies!

                KL
                ----- Original Message -----<BR>
                From: "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@...><BR>
                Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:25:49 -0000<BR>
                To: fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com<BR>
                Subject: [fearnwhiskey] Re: JRLP<BR>
                <BR>

                <tt>
                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Kathleen Loebig" <missdiva@o...> wrote:<BR>
                > I just got myself signed up here...I didn't get through all the <BR>
                old messages, but I know someone from Seattle was saying they hadn't <BR>
                got to see JRLP play, so I thought I'd pass along that he will be <BR>
                playing with Treasure State (cd release) and the Shins at the I-Spy <BR>
                on July 5th. <BR>
                <BR>
                Playing catch up again. This is GREAT news as I love the Shins as <BR>
                well.I'm really looking forward to this show. It would be cool to <BR>
                meet you, Kathleen, and other Seattle folks on this list that I <BR>
                haven't met.<BR>
                <BR>
                Lisa<BR>

                Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/