Re: John Vanderslice

  • david_michael_siegel
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
      > > Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
      > > Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
      > > pretty interesting
      >
      > He's from San Francisco and I just cannot remember the name of the
      > band he was in until a couple of years ago. Poppy guitar-based
      rock;
      > maybe Bill knows? I want to say he's worked with Chris von Sneirden
      > but have no idea.

      Definitely poppy indie guitar rock. I heard more of a Kinks
      influence than anything else.

      I've seen him a couple of times, once at a SXSW day party and once in
      Chicago at the Abbey Pub (opening for Lambchop). My impression's
      been that he can't hold it together in a live show as well as on
      album, but I've liked what I've heard off the latest (Life & Death of
      an American Fourtracker).

      David
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
        john vanderslice was a member of MK Ultra who did the song "bill gates must die." our station, wxdu, has been playing the crap out of the cd, but i don't know much about his music myself. everyone here loves him, but i haven't been paying enough attention in that area.

        in an unrelated note, our local indie rock record store (Radio Free Records in Durham) got robbed last night. we just went by there today to buy the tift record (on vinyl!) but their doors were closed. very sad. i doubt they even had insurance since they didn't even pay for heating or a/c. they are one of my favorite stores ever. nice guys, helpful, they find great cds and sell 'em cheap. it makes me sad. as my friend matt said, "they should use the electric chairs on people who rob indie rock record stores." i'm with him.

        steve