Karl Hendricks benefits this summer (Scrawl, SKWM, Joel Phelps, & more)

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2014
      Popping in with news that old Fear & Whiskey show mainstay Karl Hendricks needs some help as he fights cancer.  Karl runs Sound Cat Records (formerly Paul's CDs) and among the many great records he has made over the past twenty years is my favorite album from 2012, The Adult Section. He's also one of the nicest musicians I know, and has a family to support while he fights this battle.

      A few friends have organized a series of fundraisers this summer.  In addition to the online campaign, shows in August will feature members of Scrawl, Tim and Andy from Silkworm/Bottomless Pit, DAMA/LIBRA (the new collaboration between Joel RL Phelps and Stuart Dahlquist), and more.

      Details from Jon Solomon:
      For over 20 years Pittsburgh's Karl Hendricks has been not only a good friend, but one of my favorite musicians. I'm not alone in either of these regards.

      Karl has personally served as an inspiration to me as a dad, a writer and a small business owner as Karl's the individual who keeps the excellent Sound Cat Records running smoothly.

      He's a quiet guy, not one to draw attention to himself and certainly not a person who is comfortable asking for help in this fashion.

      His friends however aren't as reserved. That's why I am writing these words today.

      In short: Karl Hendricks has oral cancer. He is working to get better, but it is going to be a long road to recovery.

      If you would like to make a financial contribution to Team Hendricks, you can do so using this site. This fundraiser is being done with his consent.

      With Karl unable to work this summer as he mends, times are tight in his household and if you've ever appreciated what Karl has done to better your own life, please consider passing some money his way.

      There will be at least three benefit shows for Karl and his family you are encouraged to attend and spread the word about.

      A series of rare items will also be auctioned off to benefit Karl around this time.

      Friday, August 22
      Brillobox (21+)
      Pittsburgh, PA
      8:00 pm ET
      $10/door - if you wish to donate more you will be able to.
      -----------------------
      Line Forms
      Tim Midyett (Bottomless Pit/Silkworm)
      DAMA/LIBRA
      Andy Cohen (Bottomless Pit/Silkworm)
      The Gotobeds
      Carousel

      Saturday, August 23
      2950 N High Street (21+)
      Columbus, OH
      8:00 pm ET door : 9:00 pm ET show
      $7
      -----------------------
      Marcy Mays (Scrawl)
      Sue Harshe (Scrawl/Ft Shame)
      Andy Cohen (Bottomless Pit/Silkworm)
      Tim Midyett (Bottomless Pit/Silkworm)
      Kyle Sowash
      Lizard McGee (Earwig)
      + more to be announced.

      Saturday September 27
      Modern Formations
      Pittsburgh, PA
      8:00 pm ET
      $7/sliding scale
      -----------------------
      Readings by:
      Jason Baldinger
      Kris Collins
      Jerome Crooks
      Lori Jakiela
      Jeff Martin
      Dave Newman
      Bobby Pajich
      Scott Silsbe
      Hosted by Red Bob

      Karl's short story chapbook "Stan Getz Isn't Coming Back" will be repressed in an edition of 100 copies for this reading.

      Thank you very much.

      Jon Solomon
      July 2014

      ***

      Online donations can be made at: Please visit Help Karl Hendricks

      Thanks for reading and I hope you are well,

      Carl

    • Mock the DJ
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2014
        Thanks for posting, Carl!

        I heard a rumor over the weekend, that there may be a show/benefit in Chicago as well, and I'm hoping Mac & Laura opt to include something during Merge 25 going on in Carrboro, NC in a couple of weeks.

        If anyone knows any more scoop, feel free to pass it along.

        -Paul/The Mockster
        "Viva Le Mock"
        Friday nights at 9p
        WRCT 88.3fm - Pittsburgh