James McMurty & Kate McGarrigle interviews, Kelly Hogan article

  • psfmag
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2011

      In the latest issue of Perfect Sound Forever <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>, you'll find (among other things):

      A plea for more music by Kurt Wildermuth
      "Kelly Hogan, you're an enormously talented singer. As you know, you write or co-write many of your songs, but somehow the label singer/songwriter doesn't fit you. Your originals are as well written as your cover versions are well chosen, but you have pipes and you know how to pipe up or pipe down to suit the details of a song. You are an inhabiter of songs. You inhabit torch ballads, rockers, soulful laments, country tales, and ironic 'indie' pop tune."

      Sister Kate 70's interview by Georgia Christgau
      "In the 1970's, all me and my women friends talked about were the four topics covered here: sex, relationships, family, and career. The difference is that Kate and I didn't know each other. She was hardly naive, yet she trusted me. As an artist and a woman, Kate McGarrigle symbolized my ideal: she sought a reasonable balance between the old way of sacrificing everything for others, and taking ownership of one's life."

      Hard Times- Interview by Jonathan Sanders
      "James McMurtry has been recording songs steeped in honest examination of what it means to live in the heartland of America since his first album, Too Long in the Wasteland, came out in 1989. The son of legendary Texas writer Larry McMurtry, James grew his literary roots in a different direction, telling the tales of the real Texas in an honest, rootsy fashion which resonated with listeners even as his music remained uncorrupted by the mass exposure."

      And don't forgot to listen to our Playlist of songs from artists in this issue:

      We're always looking for good writers and/or ideas so let us know if you have anything to share.

      See you online,