Steve Earle, Old Time Music articles

  • psfmag
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2011
      Greetings,

      In the latest issue of Perfect Sound Forever <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>, you'll find (among other things):

      STEVE EARLE
      Sympathy for an American terrorist
      "In the weeks before 11 September 2001, country-rock singer Steve Earle was thinking about putting together an album of protest songs. He already had one in the bag: "Amerika v 6.0 (The Best We Can Do)," an attack on the U.S. healthcare system he had written for the Nick Cassavetes movie, John Q. But when two hijacked jets brought down the World Trade Center and another crashed into the Pentagon, there was suddenly no room in America for dissent."

      OLD-TIME MUSIC
      Don't call it 'bluegrass'
      "... we should talk about the distinction between 'old-time' music and 'bluegrass music,' a common misuse of musical nomenclature in our culture. Old-Time music is a broad term that can refer to many different styles of North American traditional music. For our purposes in this article, let's say that when we use the term "old-time," we are talking primarily about the instrumental fiddle & banjo music native to the Appalachian mountains and American southeast."

      We're always looking for good writers and/or ideas so let us know if you have anything to share.

      See you online,
      Jason