Max Decharme - A Rocket In My Pocket

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2010
      http://www.crossedcombs.com/2010/07/a-rocket-in-my-pocket-the-hipsters-guide-to-rockabilly-music.html
      Just reading the sometime Gallon Drunk-er's book on the history of Rockabilly
      and enjoying it greatly. He set off with the premise that most books covering
      the area are pretty dismissive of the genre so it needed covering with some
      respect. He has done pretty admirably.
      He covers the roots of the music through hillbilly, western swing, hillbilly
      boogie, jump blues, proto-r'n'r r'n'b 9though he doesn't use that term). Then
      covers labels including artists on them.
      I'm about 1/3 of the way through so far and think this is about as good as any
      music book I've read this year. Obviously not as in depth as the far longer ones
      on Beefheart & Monk but as elucidating a read still I think.

      excerpt
      http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/excerpt-a-rocket-in-my-pocket/

      tie in cd
      http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=8538