Terry Graham (Gun Club) book pledge 3 days to go, still lacking $422 on goal

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2010
      The Gun Club were one of the first bands to combine the influence of roots musics with punk rock. The band's drummer has written a book partially a photohistory of the early L.A. Punk scene. Unfortunately he is still a bit short on the money needed to finance the production of the book.

      I just looked at the site for Terry Graham's book Punk Like Me and the kickstarter project is still $422 of the goal it needs to reach in 3 days time. So if anybody is interested in getting this book out please contribute now.
      http://kck.st/9CT9QA

      Terry's own blurb

      "About this project

      I'm writing an irreverent, often silly, occasionally funny but always informative version of a slice of rock and roll history known as "punk rock" that descended upon an unsuspecting Hollywood in 1977 and, well, still hasn't gotten the hell out of town. First-person, too, which isn't easy to pull off but is much better, to my way of thinking, than some sour, old, self-righteous blowharding about how great it was back in day, nope!

      This book is my thank you to rock and roll and all the outcasts, misfits, dropouts, loners and loonies who listen to it and dare to get on a stage and create it in spite of the music industry or the prevailing winds of "fashion." Timeless, no?

      I'm aware that many readers don't like to read (and who can blame them), so I've made sure PLM is littered with interesting photos of interesting people pretending to be interesting, which is kind of interesting all by itself. Just stare at the pictures. I know I do!

      Down to business:

      My publisher is only able to pay for the imprint. So the money I raise will pay for the artistic contributions required to make this book super-duper. The more I get, the prettier the book will be. And who doesn't like pretty? I have to pay for:

      Editor
      Graphic artist (layout)
      Illustrator (cover)

      Also, I've acquired permission to use many photographs from a variety of photographers without charge. However, it would make my heart burst with blood if I could pay them something for their wonderful work. They truly deserve it.

      As a bonus, I suppose, I'd love to have a well-designed web site for updates, events, more photos, etc., and possibly use it to create a platform for an all-digital version of the book suitable for downloading to computer, tablet, phone, gps, what have you. Sadly, I'm unable to design a web site myself so will require the services of a qualified person or other.

      So, this could be just another book or it could be a visually interesting artifact to cherish and show your friends and pass down from generation to generation until, finally, the apes take the planet back and burn all our vanities in a bonfire (sorry). Damn you, apes!

      Hoping for an end of year or earlier release. The thing will probably weigh ten pounds so not recommended for stuffing stockings. Great for bathroom floors, however.

      Project location: Los Angeles, CA"

      Stevo