John Einarson Forever Changes Arthur Lee/Love bio

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2010
      I received my copy of the book Forever changes through the post at the beginning
      of the week. Got 2/3ds of the way through it now. Just reading about events
      immediately after Vindicator.
      Very interesting book, one of the best rock bios I've read I think. I'd put it
      up with Eye Mind and the Drumbo Beefheart in terms of setting the record
      straight. Only myth that hasn't been confronted straight on is about Arthur
      being bald after nodding out with hair straightener in.
      & even there there is a direct quote about him 'burning his hair' which would
      suggest that he merely ruined the condition of what he had at the time.
      It incorporates some of Arthur's own writing on about every page. Then gives
      further detail from interviews with people relevant to the time.
      Einarson's own writing style is interesting enough to make this a page turner.

      My one regret on reading this is that it looks like there is no live recording
      of the original band live. Arthur Lee had a vehement policy of not allowing
      anybody to record from the audience. I really do hope that I'm about to discover
      that this was somehow circumvented on a couple of occasions but I won't hold my
      breath.
      Also great shame that both Monterey Pop and with the later band Woodstock were
      turned down. Same could be said of Atlanta Pop, any one of those 3 would have
      yielded footage for the archive, or at least audio of them live.

      So I'm wondering what the earliest live material by a version of Love is? I have
      some stuff from europe in '70, is there any earlier?

      Would also love to discover that a complete take of Revelation from the Da Capo
      sessions existed. apparently Paul Rothchild remixed & re-edited the lp version.
      It was apparently a stage favourite when played live & the recorded version is
      edited down from an about 45 minute take.

      Stevo
      Np Grateful Dead Winterland 73 disc 6 Playing in the Band