Merle Haggard (was Playlist: Fear & Whiskey 11/10/0)

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2008
      On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Mock the DJ <mockthedj@...> wrote:
      >"Karl Rimzing" played:
      > Merle Haggard/Mama Tried

      Best wishes to Merle, who is recuperating from surgery.

      Carl Z.
      who can't listen to Fear & Whiskey because it's the same time as one
      of the classes I teach this semester.

      <http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_10898921>
      Country star Merle Haggard recovering after lung cancer surgery in Bakersfield

      By Shellie Branco

      Bakersfield Californian
      Article Launched: 11/04/2008 06:40:35 PM PST

      At the insistence of his family and personal physician, Merle Haggard
      had a cancerous growth removed from his lung Monday at Bakersfield
      Memorial Hospital. Friends and associates of the country music icon
      said the surgery was a success and he is in stable condition.

      The 71-year-old country star and Oildale native had a malignant tumor,
      apparently the same growth that was discovered in May, according to
      sources who wished to remain anonymous.

      Haggard told The Californian while on tour in August that he didn't
      plan to treat the growth, which was discovered May 5. He said he
      doesn't trust hospitals but, all along, family members wanted him to
      seek treatment.

      "Of course, everyone wanted me at the Mayo Clinic, someone wanted me
      in Santa Barbara (to) do this and that," he told The Californian in
      August. "And they said, 'Oh, my God,' and I said, 'Well, I'm not gonna
      do anything.'"

      At the time, he said it wasn't cancerous and it hadn't changed two
      months after the discovery, but that doctors didn't know what it was.

      The singer, to whom fans gave a warm welcome in February at the
      dedication of Merle Haggard Drive in Oildale and a hometown concert,
      was admitted to the hospital last week.

      Haggard's family has been by his side at the hospital and the singer
      is in good spirits, according to sources.

      Local performer and longtime Haggard fan Monty Byrom said the news
      broke his heart. He even joked his father, a singer and
      guitarist himself, was the spitting image of Haggard until recently,
      when Dad eclipsed the star in the looks department.

      "Whether he lives or not, if he can never sing again, we've probably
      just lost the greatest singer of our time," said the Big House front
      man. "The difference between Merle and everyone else is he could sing
      everything: big band, blues, jazz. He was the consummate singer's
      singer. I've never heard a purer voice."

      Byrom wanted to tell Haggard to "hang in there" and thank him for the
      inspiration.

      "People think he's just this redneck 'Okie From Muskogee,' 'The
      Fightin' Side of Me,' but he's more like Willie (Nelson)," he said.
      "He's much more of a common man. He's not this redneck everyone thinks
      of."