Regina Spektor & Dodos articles

  • Jason Gross
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008
      Greetings,

      In the latest issue of Perfect Sound Forever
      <http://www.perfectsoundforever.com>, you'll find (among other things):

      THE DODOS
      Arty pop as freak folk
      "If you've been living in a vacuum, you may not have heard of The
      Dodos (singer/songwriter/guitarist Meric Long, drummer Logan Kroeber,
      Joe Haener on xylophone), a powerhouse folk band out of San Francisco.
      The blissfully tipsy crowd eagerly anticipated The Dodos performance
      while the band was setting up on stage. The first vibrations of
      Kroeber's pounding drum ignited the set that ended much too soon. Long
      skillfully strummed, plucked, and picked his guitar, bringing life to
      'Fools,' followed by 'Ashley, Jodi, Red and Purple'... from the
      recently released second album Visiter."

      REGINA SPEKTOR
      Soviet folk genius?
      "Perhaps Regina's strange vocal style developed from this anxiety
      about 'crude' songwriting and from her love of sound and language.
      Regina 'stretches words... into epic solos, then crams long sentences
      into her mouth and spits them out in a few exuberant bars,' as Josh
      Tyrangiel described it. She also incorporates sounds, such as hiccups,
      hisses, pops, and gurgles. 'The hiccup sounds,' she says, 'were like
      discovering I had a tambourine in my throat.'"

      We're always looking for good writers and/or ideas so let us know if
      you have anything to share.

      See you online,
      Jason