Re: new CDs (including rumor of a Jay Farrar soundtrack)

  • lmerlin01
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
      > From http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/release183.shtm. The little
      I've
      > heard of ex-Come, ex-Steve Wynn guitarist Brokaw's record sounds
      like it'll
      > appeal to fans of atmospheric twang (WGC, Pinetop Seven), and the
      Silkworm
      > record (featuring Kelly Hogan) is my favorite thing I've heard
      this year.

      I'm looking forward to hearing this, Carl. Speaking of Chris Brokaw
      <insert gratuitous praise for ex-members of Come <g>) I'm not sure
      if you liked the Thalia Zedek CD "Been Here and Gone" bit it was my
      favorite CD last year. You folks who love beautiful mopey strings,
      smoke- and- whiskey scorched voice will love this CD (I think). It
      reminds me a (very) little of Marianne Faithful. I love love me
      some Thalia.

      Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
      Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
      pretty interesting

      Lisa, trying to catch up when I can
    • jlswedberg
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
        Dave Barbe records almost anybody who is anybody around here, but the
        disc doesn't really sound like his work. I'll ask. I would look on the
        liner notes, but I have no liner notes since we only have a burned copy
        that was given to us in the street by a member of the band a couple
        months ago. :-)

        --Jamie S.

        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:
        > I couldn't find it (maybe we haven't been serviced with a radio
        weasel
        > promo copy yet), but your comment prompted another question -- did
        > David Barbe produce, record and/or mix the disc? I shall look for it
        > again when I return from St. Louis...
      • czimring
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
          > I'm not sure
          > if you liked the Thalia Zedek CD "Been Here and Gone" bit it was my
          > favorite CD last year. You folks who love beautiful mopey strings,
          > smoke- and- whiskey scorched voice will love this CD (I think). It
          > reminds me a (very) little of Marianne Faithful. I love love me
          > some Thalia.

          She smokes? No! It's a fine late-night record and I enjoyed her
          Leonard Cohen cover -- their voices aren't all that different at this
          point! I think Brokaw plays on it...

          > Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
          > Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
          > pretty interesting

          He's from San Francisco and I just cannot remember the name of the
          band he was in until a couple of years ago. Poppy guitar-based rock;
          maybe Bill knows? I want to say he's worked with Chris von Sneirden
          but have no idea.

          vaguely,
          Carl Z.
        • david_michael_siegel
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
            > > Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
            > > Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
            > > pretty interesting
            >
            > He's from San Francisco and I just cannot remember the name of the
            > band he was in until a couple of years ago. Poppy guitar-based
            rock;
            > maybe Bill knows? I want to say he's worked with Chris von Sneirden
            > but have no idea.

            Definitely poppy indie guitar rock. I heard more of a Kinks
            influence than anything else.

            I've seen him a couple of times, once at a SXSW day party and once in
            Chicago at the Abbey Pub (opening for Lambchop). My impression's
            been that he can't hold it together in a live show as well as on
            album, but I've liked what I've heard off the latest (Life & Death of
            an American Fourtracker).

            David
          • Steve Gardner
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
              john vanderslice was a member of MK Ultra who did the song "bill gates must die." our station, wxdu, has been playing the crap out of the cd, but i don't know much about his music myself. everyone here loves him, but i haven't been paying enough attention in that area.

              in an unrelated note, our local indie rock record store (Radio Free Records in Durham) got robbed last night. we just went by there today to buy the tift record (on vinyl!) but their doors were closed. very sad. i doubt they even had insurance since they didn't even pay for heating or a/c. they are one of my favorite stores ever. nice guys, helpful, they find great cds and sell 'em cheap. it makes me sad. as my friend matt said, "they should use the electric chairs on people who rob indie rock record stores." i'm with him.

              steve