The Ex on WFMU tonight

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2008
      I'm forwarding this promo for WFMU's broadcast of tonight's Ex concert in
      New York because I just caught the band in Chicago yesterday and they were
      wonderful, with just the right combination of catchy funk and noise to make
      me wish the show would go on for hours. The horns especially are in top
      form this tour.

      Carl Z.

      ***
      August 20th
      Lincoln Center/Damrosch Park Bandshell
      W 62nd Street & Amsterdam, Manhattan
      6:00-10:00 PM
      Free to the Public

      THE EX with GETATCHEW MEKURYA
      MAHMOUD AHMED and ALEMAYEHU ESHETE w/ EITHER/ORCHESTRA
      EXTRA GOLDEN

      Produced by Lincoln Center in collaboration with WFMU Radio.
      Part of WFMU's 50th Anniversary celebrations, and its Free Concert Series.

      This is the first ever NYC appearance of avant-punk Dutch band the Ex with
      the legendary Getatchew Mekurya on saxophone. Lincoln Center's addition of
      singers Mahmoud Ahmed and Alemayehu Eshete with the Either/Orchestra offers
      a great, historical presentation of classic Ethiopian artists (all of whom
      have been showcased in the famed Ethiopiques series of recordings). Extra
      Golden's recordings forge a fusion between American rock and Kenyan Benga
      sounds, and have issued releases on the Thrill Jockey label.

      WFMU is a freeform, listener-sponsored radio station in Jersey City, NJ,
      broadcasting at 91.1 fm (NYC/Metro NJ) and 90.1 fm (Catskills, Hudson
      Valley, W.NJ, Eastern PA) called by Rolling Stone critics "the Best Radio
      Station in America", and publicly lauded by the likes of Lou Reed, Matt
      Groening, Jim Jarmusch, Julian Cope, the WIRE, the New York Times, John
      Peel, and more.
      www.wfmu.org.