Possibilities

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "jlswedberg" <jlswedberg@y...> wrote:
      > It sounds like ATHENS, is what it sounds like. Tell me if you manage to
      > find it and listen to it.
      > --Jamie S.

      I couldn't find it (maybe we haven't been serviced with a radio weasel
      promo copy yet), but your comment prompted another question -- did
      David Barbe produce, record and/or mix the disc? I shall look for it
      again when I return from St. Louis...

      Carl Z.
    • lmerlin01
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:
        > From http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/release183.shtm. The little
        I've
        > heard of ex-Come, ex-Steve Wynn guitarist Brokaw's record sounds
        like it'll
        > appeal to fans of atmospheric twang (WGC, Pinetop Seven), and the
        Silkworm
        > record (featuring Kelly Hogan) is my favorite thing I've heard
        this year.

        I'm looking forward to hearing this, Carl. Speaking of Chris Brokaw
        <insert gratuitous praise for ex-members of Come <g>) I'm not sure
        if you liked the Thalia Zedek CD "Been Here and Gone" bit it was my
        favorite CD last year. You folks who love beautiful mopey strings,
        smoke- and- whiskey scorched voice will love this CD (I think). It
        reminds me a (very) little of Marianne Faithful. I love love me
        some Thalia.

        Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
        Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
        pretty interesting

        Lisa, trying to catch up when I can
      • jlswedberg
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
          Dave Barbe records almost anybody who is anybody around here, but the
          disc doesn't really sound like his work. I'll ask. I would look on the
          liner notes, but I have no liner notes since we only have a burned copy
          that was given to us in the street by a member of the band a couple
          months ago. :-)

          --Jamie S.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
            > I'm not sure
            > if you liked the Thalia Zedek CD "Been Here and Gone" bit it was my
            > favorite CD last year. You folks who love beautiful mopey strings,
            > smoke- and- whiskey scorched voice will love this CD (I think). It
            > reminds me a (very) little of Marianne Faithful. I love love me
            > some Thalia.

            She smokes? No! It's a fine late-night record and I enjoyed her
            Leonard Cohen cover -- their voices aren't all that different at this
            point! I think Brokaw plays on it...

            > Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
            > Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
            > pretty interesting

            He's from San Francisco and I just cannot remember the name of the
            band he was in until a couple of years ago. Poppy guitar-based rock;
            maybe Bill knows? I want to say he's worked with Chris von Sneirden
            but have no idea.

            vaguely,
            Carl Z.
          • david_michael_siegel
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
              > > Hey, have any of you heard of a singer/songwriter named John
              > > Vandersice? I caught the tail end of a Freash Air and he sounds
              > > pretty interesting
              >
              > He's from San Francisco and I just cannot remember the name of the
              > band he was in until a couple of years ago. Poppy guitar-based
              rock;
              > maybe Bill knows? I want to say he's worked with Chris von Sneirden
              > but have no idea.

              Definitely poppy indie guitar rock. I heard more of a Kinks
              influence than anything else.

              I've seen him a couple of times, once at a SXSW day party and once in
              Chicago at the Abbey Pub (opening for Lambchop). My impression's
              been that he can't hold it together in a live show as well as on
              album, but I've liked what I've heard off the latest (Life & Death of
              an American Fourtracker).

              David
            • Steve Gardner
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                john vanderslice was a member of MK Ultra who did the song "bill gates must die." our station, wxdu, has been playing the crap out of the cd, but i don't know much about his music myself. everyone here loves him, but i haven't been paying enough attention in that area.

                in an unrelated note, our local indie rock record store (Radio Free Records in Durham) got robbed last night. we just went by there today to buy the tift record (on vinyl!) but their doors were closed. very sad. i doubt they even had insurance since they didn't even pay for heating or a/c. they are one of my favorite stores ever. nice guys, helpful, they find great cds and sell 'em cheap. it makes me sad. as my friend matt said, "they should use the electric chairs on people who rob indie rock record stores." i'm with him.

                steve