Fear & Whiskey 9/10/07

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2007
      Here's the playlist for last night's Fear & Whiskey, as heard on
      88.3fm in Pittsburgh and www.wrct.org everywhere else. This was my
      first show in several years, and I decided to play some of my favorite
      songs released in the interim. Also some old favorites. Hell, who
      knows when I'll be back on the air to inflict 'em on the public!

      artist / song
      henry threadgill / i can't wait till i get home
      [One of my favorite songs, written by Olu Dara, a.k.a Father of Nas.]

      silkworm / "don't look back"
      [The extended Silkworm/Joel Phelps/Bottomless Pit family put out a lot
      of good music since the last time I was on the air. I featured some
      of their best songs this evening.]
      karl hendricks rock band / irony fails me
      [@ the Brillobox 11/3 with Bottomless Pit. The World Says is the name
      of the new CD, and it's a career highlight with a twin guitar attack
      that brings Crazy Horse and the Allman Brothers to mind. I didn't
      play the 13-minute closing track California In September, but that
      song belongs on On the Beach.]
      eleventh dream day / for martha
      steve wynn & the miracle 3 / bruises
      [Steve Wynn is planning to record three new records over the next
      year, including the followup to ...tick...tick...tick.]

      earth / miami morning coming down

      bailter space / splat
      chris brokaw / cranberries
      paul kelly & the messengers / it's all downhill from here
      warren zevon / charlie's medicine

      charles mingus / tijuana gift shop

      peter jefferies / driest month in a 100 years
      grand champeen / nice of you to join us
      neko case / hold on, hold on
      richard buckner / spell
      the chills / leaving this time tomorrow
      [A hidden track on 2004's Stand By EP, this song was one of many from
      New Zealand featured in the show.]

      gold sparkle trio with ken vandermark / burg girl

      bottomless pit / the cardinal movements
      [Hammer of the Gods is the new 2x'45rpm 12" release from Tim Midgett
      and Andy Cohen's new band. The instrumental lineup is guitar,
      baritone guitar, bass guitar, drums. Thus, Bottomless Pit. They'll
      play Columbus and Pittsburgh in early November.]
      new order / ceremony
      joel rl phelps / 24 Hours
      [An incredibly intense cover of the Joy Divison song, from an EP that
      came with early copies of Customs.]
      magazine / a song from under the floorboards

      scenic / parisia

      giant sand / dusted
      camper van beethoven / that gum you like is back in style
      the bats / up to the sky
      [...At the National Grid is one of Robert Scott's best releases. It's
      a shimmering, gentle semi-acoustic pop record, and this song is one of
      the most affecting he's ever written.]
      nina nastasia / why don't you stay home
      the gothees / daily nightly
      [Mike Nesmith all gothed out.]

      dianogah / what is your landmass?
      [Between Dianogah and Bottomless Pit, this program had more low end
      than an Adrian Sherwood mix. Maybe not Lee Scratch Perry, but
      definitely Adrian Sherwood/]

      bottomless pit / dogtag
      [This is my favorite record of the year so far. You can get it
      through <http://www.bottomlesspit.us>.]
      calexico / all systems red
      [Maybe the most passionate Joey Burns vocal ever recorded.]

      scenic / acquatica
      [Closing things off with the title track from my favorite rock
      instrumental CD. Thanks to "Karl" for letting me sit in this week,
      and to all the listeners -- especially those who called in all excited
      about Bottomless Pit coming to town in November. I have no financial
      stake in the band, I just love their music.]