Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on July 05, 2007

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2007
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on July 05, 2007

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Joe Henry - Flag - Tiny Voices - Anti-
      [ Hey, baby, it's the 5th of July - "In a crowd come off the
      hill / Full of bloodlust and good will / We carried pride above our
      heads / Like a flag we could cheer to wake the dead / And when we
      could go no further / And were drowning on a desert / We raised our
      flag to follow the breath of God? / But it was blowing every which
      way" ]

      Prince - Dear Mr. Man - Musicology - NPG / Columbia
      [ Thanks to Matt from Columbus, OH for suggesting this one. He
      described it as "a pretty cool funky protest track that reminds me of
      Sly & the Family
      Stone." ]

      Gene Ludwig - Sticks & Stones (Pt.1) - Yet Mo Mod Jazz - Kent

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Staple Singers - Stoned Soul Picnic - 5000 Volts Of Stax - Stax
      [ This Laura Nyro cover was recorded live in the studio in 1969
      at Stax with backing by Booker T. & The MGs. ]

      Luther Ingram - My Honey & Me - Pity For The Lonely: The Ko Ko
      Singles - Vol. 1 - Kent*
      [ This new compilation is made up of the first ten singles that
      Luther Ingram recorded for Ko Ko. This single was recorded in 1969.
      Luther Ingram passed away in St. Louis March of this year. ]

      Little Lois Barber - Specify - The Birmingham Sound: The Soul Of
      Neal Hemphill - Vol. 1 - Rabbit Factory
      [ Amazing vocals on this track from a woman who very little is
      known about. They found two songs (both included on this
      compilation) by her which were recorded at Sound Of Birmingham
      Studios in Alabama. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Nick Lowe - People Change - At My Age - Yep Roc*
      [ This one features Chrissie Hynde on backup vocals. ]

      Pretenders - Stop Your Sobbing - Pretenders - Sire
      [ This Ray Davies cover was produced by Nick Lowe & recorded in
      1979. Still one of the best Kinks covers, ever. ]

      Kinks - Top Of The Pops - Lola Vs. Powerman & The Moneygoround -
      Pt. 1 - Reprise

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Jarvis Cocker - Don't Let Him Waste Your Time - Jarvis - Rough
      Trade*

      The Ike Reilly Assassination - Let's Get Friendly - We Belong To
      The Staggering Evening - Rock Ridge*

      Chuck Prophet - I Bow Down & Pray To Every Woman I See - No Other
      Love - New West
      [ If I had a list of my ten favorite songs from this century,
      this would probably be on it. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Joan As Police Woman - Anyone - Real Life - CLR*

      Mosquitos - Um Homem Precisa de Uma Empregada (A Man Needs A Maid) -
      Mosquitos III - Bar None
      [ Your basic Neil Young song sung in Portuguese. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Kalyanji-Anandji - Bluff Master (title music) - Bombshell Baby Of
      Bombay - Bombay-Connection
      [ This set comprised the crazed-saxophone portion of the show.
      This was the title music track to Bluff Master which was a Bollywood
      movie made in 1963. Well, this song actually might have been more
      crazed-trumpet & bongos but you get the idea. This compilation of
      Bollywood music really has terrific packaging, as well. ]

      Roy Montrell - (Every Time I Hear That) Mellow Saxophone - The
      Specialty Story - Specialty
      [ This was recorded in 1956 and features Alvin "Red" Tyler on
      baritone sax & Lee Allen on tenor sax. Also, Earl Palmer on drums.
      This song should be on every party mix ever made. ]

      The Upsetters - Bip Bop Bip - The Upsetters - La Cienega
      [ This one featured the vocals of Don Covay. This terrific R&B
      band sometimes backed up Little Richard on his singles & were his
      road band, for some time. This 1958 recording features Grady Gaines
      on tenor sax. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Swamp Dogg - Total Destruction To Your Mind - Total Destruction to
      Your Mind - Canyon

      The Bees - Listening Man - Octopus - Virgin*

      Camera Obscura - Dory Previn - Let's Get Out Of This Country -
      Merge

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Kelly Willis - Too Much To Lose - Translated From Love - Rykodisc*

      Emmylou Harris - One Big Love - Red Dirt Girl - Nonesuch
      [ Ever want to know what live music is coming up in St. Louis?
      Go to http://stlouislivemusic.wordpress.com/
      There you can find out things like Emmylou Harris is appearing this
      Saturday (7/7) at Live At The Levee. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Mary Jane Hooper - Harper Valley PTA - Psychedelphia - Funky
      Delicacies
      [ Mary Jane Hooper aka Sena Fletcher recorded this version of
      the Tom T. Hall song in New Orleans and was produced by Eddie Bo.
      Details are sketchy but this was recorded between 1966-70 when she
      was in her late-teens. ]

      Candi Staton - In The Ghetto - Candi Staton - Honest Jon's

      Camera Obscura - Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Hearbroken - Let's Get Out
      Of This Country - Merge
      [ Listeners are probably thinking "why put a Scottish indie-pop
      band in the middle of a southern soul set?"I was asking the same
      question when I heard the song come on and realized I forgot to
      remove the Camera Obscura CD played earlier from one of the CD
      players. Expecting Millie Jackson and hearing Camera Obscura was a
      surprise. I couldn't yank the CD out, though. Not when it was
      playing one of my favorite songs of 2006. ]

      Millie Jackson - (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want To Be Right -
      If Loving You Is Wrong: 20 Cheatin' Heartbreakers - Kent

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Peter Case - Million Dollars Bail - Let Us Now Praise Sleepy John -
      Yep Roc*
      [ This one talks about how the wealthy get a different kind of
      justice than the poor. And when justice gets meted out to somebody
      wealthy or well-connected, somebody can come along and commute the
      sentence or issue a pardon. Evidently, these things happen. ]

      X - See How We Are - See How We Are - Rhino / Elektra
      [ "Now there are seven kinds of Coke / 500 kinds of cigarettes /
      This freedom of choice in the USA drives everybody crazy / But in
      Acapulco / Well they don't give a damn / About kids selling Chiclets
      with no shoes on their feet / See how we are / 'Hey man, What's in it
      for me' / See how we are" ]

      Les McCann & Eddie Harris - Compared To What - Yet Mo' Mod Jazz -
      Kent+
      [ OK, there was a request for this song but done by Me'Shell
      NdegéOcello. Hopefully, this version sufficed. Recorded for
      Atlantic in 1969. This version was in stereo, not mono, much to the
      requester's chagrin. ]