Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on June 28, 2007

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2007
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on June 28, 2007

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Shorty Long - Chantilly Lace - The Complete Motown Singles: Vol. 7 -
      1967 - Hip-O Select / Motown*
      [ Here's a song that has never been available on CD until now.
      This single was recorded by Shorty Long in 1966 and released in 1967
      as the follow-up to "Function In The Junction." The ambitious
      project by Hip-O Select to release every A & B side of every Motown
      single continues with this latest installment. This is the seventh
      volume and includes five CDs with 120 tracks featuring every Motown
      single (including promo-only and alternative mixes) released in
      1967. What's impressive is that 75% of all the A-sides of these
      singles charted in 1967. ]

      James Brown & His Orchestra - Out Of Sight - The Singles - Vol. 3:
      1964-65 - Hip-O Select*
      [ This third & latest collection from Hip-O Select features all
      the A & B sides of singles recorded by James Brown & released by
      Smash & King in 1964-65. Due to contractual & legal squabbles, James
      Brown started putting out singles on Smash. This was fought in court
      and ended up where James Brown was putting out instrumental singles
      on the Smash label & vocal singles on King. Early Smash singles with
      vocals are also included on this two-CD collection. ]

      Dyke & The Blazers - We Got More Soul - We Got More Soul - BGP
      [ This two-CD overview of Dyke & The Blazers was put out earler
      this year. Dyke & The Blazers was one of the earliest funk bands out
      there. This soul classic was released in 1969 and this version is
      notable because it's slightly different from the single in that it
      name-checks Pearl Bailey twice, not once. That's more value for your
      name-checking Pearl Bailey dollar. ]

      Jr. Walker & The All Stars - Anyway You Wannta - The Complete
      Motown Singles: Vol. 7 - 1967 - Hip-O Select / Motown*
      [ It's important to note that I spelled "wannta" exactly the
      same way it was spelled on the single. This was the B-side to
      the "Pucker Up Buttercup" single for those of you keeping track of
      Jr. Walker & The All Stars B-sides. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Eddie Ray - Wait A Minute - Eccentric Soul: The Prix Label - The
      Numero Group*
      [ This new release by The Numero Group features rare soul put
      out by the Prix label (Columbus, OH) in the early-70s. They only put
      out singles -- no albums. This terrific first track features the fine
      vocals of Eddie Ray backed by a band that kind of sounds like Archie
      Bell & The Drells. All of the Eddie Ray tracks are standouts. ]

      Lee Moses - If Loving You Is A Crime (I'll Always Be Guilty) - Time
      & Place (Expanded) - Castle
      [ Thanks again to Rick Cornell
      (http://destoria.bootp.duke.edu/djspace/plmanager/world/printplaylist.
      php?show_id=5428) for making me aware of another great soul release.
      This 1971 recording has been reissued and augmented with 14 bonus
      tracks. Lee Moses was from Atlanta and, in addition to being a really
      good guitar player, had one of best ragged-but-great soul voices you
      could hope to hear. A must-have soul reissue for fans of southern
      soul. ]

      The Sweet Inspirations - Why (Am I Treated So Bad) - The Sweet
      Inspirations - Collector's Choice Music
      [ This was their debut album that came out in 1967 on Atlantic
      when they still had Cissy Houston in the band on lead vocals. This
      song was written by "Pop" Staples. They ended up backing up artists
      such as Van Morrison, Aretha Franklin, and Elvis. Not one bad track
      on this. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Wilco - Hate It Here - Sky Blue Sky - Nonesuch*
      [ This is one Wilco album I feel like I'll be listening to for a
      long time to come. They lost me for a while there. Jeff Tweedy's
      vocals and Nels Cline's superb guitar work really put this across. ]

      Ass Ponys - Kung Fu Reference - Lohio - Checkered Past
      [ "fresh out of paper plates / guess i'll do the dishes /
      instead of washing off
      only one plate at a time / big evening up ahead / wide array of
      choices /
      bladerunner, robocop, or the bride of frankenstein" ]

      Hal Blaine & The Young Cougars - Mutiny On The Bongos -
      Deuces, "T's", Roadsters, & Drums - Sundazed
      [ What a great title. This instrumental was co-written by
      drummer extraordinaire, Hal Blaine, & Lee Hazlewood & was recorded in
      1962. This was one of the bonus tracks added to this reissue of the
      album originally released in 1963. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Underdogs - Love's Gone Bad - The Complete Motown Singles: Vol.
      7 - 1967 - Hip-O Select / Motown*
      [ Until I read the liner notes, I had no idea the first single
      released by Motown in 1967 was a rock record. This band was based
      out of Grosse Pointe, MI & was named after the NBC cartoon series.
      It didn't hurt the performance having James Jamerson (bass) & Earl
      Van Dyke (B3) sitting in. ]

      "Sister" Wynona Carr - The Ball Game - Dragnet for Jesus - Ace
      [ Wynona Carr was the choir director of Rev. C.L. Franklin's
      church & wrote most of the gospel songs (including this one) she
      recorded for Specialty Records.
      "First base is temptation / The second base is sin / Third base
      tribulation / If you pass you can make it in / Ol' man Solomon is the
      umpire / And Satan is pitchin the game / He'll do his best to strike
      you out / Keep playin' just the same." ]

      Bill Kirchen - Devil With The Blue Dress - Hammer Of The Honky-Tonk
      Gods - Proper
      [ Appearing this Saturday night (6/30) at Beale On Broadway. I
      can't imagine seeing Bill Kirchen in a more intimate setting. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      War - Summer - The Best Of War...And More - Rhino+
      [ This was a request made during last week's summer-themed show
      that I didn't have on hand. Recorded in 1976 as a single and
      included on their first greatest hits album. ]

      I'm From Barcelona - The Painter - The Believer 2007 Muisc Issue
      CD - The Believer*
      [ This 29-piece band is from Sweden so, naturally, they are
      called "I'm From Barcelona." This song is incredibly catchy. I
      actually got this song from the most recent issue of "The Believer"
      which is their 2007 music issue that is accompanied with a companion
      CD. This song is also available on I'm From Barcelona's "Let Me
      Introduce My Friends" album which came out in the US in March,
      2007. ]

      Hal Blaine & The Young Cougars - The Drummer Plays For Me -
      Deuces, "T's", Roadsters, & Drums - Sundazed
      [ I can't do justice trying to describe this one. Out there but
      in a great way. This was written by Lee Hazlewood and sounds like
      the Shangri-Las crossed with exotica crossed with surf. Need I say
      more? ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Bryan Ferry - Positively 4th Street - Dylanesque - Virgin*
      [ This is the standout track on this album of Dylan covers just
      released in the US this week. ]

      Townes Van Zandt - Mr. Mudd & Mr. Gold - Live At The Old Quarter -
      Tomato
      [ Recorded live in 1973. Some of the best lyrics I've ever
      heard. This song floors me very time. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Kelly Willis - Nobody Wants To Go To The Moon Anymore - Translated
      from Love - Rykodisc
      [ This new release was produced by Chuck Prophet and features
      many songs co-written by Kelly Willis, Chuck Prophet, & Jules Shear.
      Lots of really strong songs on this one and Kelly Willis sings as
      well as she ever has on this. Expect to hear more of this in weeks
      to come. This first track was written by Damon Bramblett. Note to
      self: Remember to rent "Bob Roberts" on DVD. Kelly Willis plays the
      other singer performing with Tim Robbins. ]

      Damon Bramblett - Tear Him Down - Damon Bramblett - Namesake
      [ Recorded in 2000 on his debut album. This set was dedicated
      in memory of the gone-but-not-forgotten Dan Bentele who was both a
      Kelly Willis fan & a Damon Bramblett fan. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Peter Case - Underneath The Stars - Let Us Now Praise Sleepy John -
      Yep Roc*
      [ Hot off the press. This is slated for release by Yep Roc on
      08/07. This particular song sounds like it could be right off "The
      Man with the Blue Post-Modern Fragmented Neo-Traditionalist Guitar"
      which is a great thing in my book. ]

      Willie Hightower - Walk A Mile In My Shoes - Willie Hightower -
      Honest Jon's
      [ Willie Hightower went to Fame Studios and recorded this
      version of the Joe South (who is very much alive) song in 1969. ]

      Muddy Waters - Stuff You Gotta Watch - Muddy Water Chess Box -
      MCA / Chess
      [ Recorded in 1951 and featuring Little Walter on harmonica. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Jay Farrar - Why Should We End This Way - Brown Eyed Handsome Man -
      Undertow
      [ As far as tribute albums go, this one for Chuck Berry is one
      of the really good ones. It's a pleasure to hear Jay Farrar play
      guitar on this. Plus, all proceeds benefit KDHX. ]

      Roky Erickson & The Aliens - Don't Shake Me Lucifer - I Have Always
      Been Here Before - Shout Factory
      [ Recorded in 1980. Somewhere, I still have a cassette tape my
      brother gave me of "The Evil One" that included this song. This 2-CD
      compilation is a terrific overview of Roky Erickson and includes 43
      tracks including tracks from the Spades, the 13th Floor Elevators,
      and his solo career. Oh, and good news, the DVD "You're Gonna Miss
      Me -- A Film About Roky Erickson" is coming out in early July. I saw
      this documentary at Webster University last year and highly recommend
      it. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      John Doe - The Golden State - A Year In The Wilderness - Yep Roc*
      [ I still haven't had a chance to listen to this album in its
      entirety. I sure like this song, though. And Kathleen Edwards sounds
      great singing with John Doe on this track. ]

      J.J. Cale - Crazy Mama - Anyway The Wind Blows - Mercury
      [ This was recorded in 1971 and came out on his debut album
      called "Naturally." ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      L.C. Cooke - Do You Wanna Dance - An Introduction To Chicago Soul -
      Fuel 2000
      [ Sam Cooke's younger brother was quite a performer in his own
      right, as evidenced by this gospel-tinged track. ]

      The Shells - Whiplash - Songs The Cramps Taught Us - S.T.C.T.U.

      Detroit Cobras - Cha Cha Twist - Baby - Bloodshot
      [ This is a Hank Ballard cover & concludes this set of dance
      numbers. A reminder but still a long ways off -- the Detroit Cobras
      will be at the Creepy Crawl on Monday, August 27th. It might be
      sublime or it might be a trainwreck but it won't be boring. ]