Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 10, 2007

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2007
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on May 10, 2007

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      Howard Tate - I Learned It All The Hard Way - Get It While You Can -
      Hip-O Select / Verve+
      [ This first set features songs all written (or co-written) by
      Jerry Ragovoy. ]

      Erma Franklin - Piece Of My Heart - Legacy's Rhythm & Soul Review -
      Epic

      Garnet Mimms - Prove It To Me - The Best Of Garnet Mimms: Cry Baby -
      EMI

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Bessie Banks - It Sounds Like My Baby - Dave Godin's Deep Soul
      Treasures - Vol. 3 - Kent
      [ With every soul and R&B reissue out there, I've never seen any
      kind of retrospective of Bessie Banks. This song and the original
      version of "Go Now" should be reason enough to merit such a
      compilation. Who knows how many other gems are out there? ]

      Rolling Stones - Hitch Hike - Out Of Our Heads - ABKCO
      [ Absolutely terrific requests from listeners who called in
      early. I had a request for some O.V. Wright, "Cry To Me" by Solomon
      Burke, and something from the Sly & The Family Stone reissues. Of
      course, I had none of these with me and neither did the station so
      stay tuned next week. In the meantime, I figured I'd play "That's How
      Strong My Love Is" from this album to make the listener who requested
      O.V. Wright happy. Except I cued up the wrong track. Oh, well, maybe
      I made a Marvin Gaye fan happy. Seriously, if listeners are going to
      make requests for things like this, life is good. ]

      Bobby Womack w/ Bill Withers - It's All Over Now - The Ultimate
      Collection - Charly

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Hacienda Brothers - Cowboys To Girls - What's Wrong With Right -
      Proper
      [ This 2006 release was produced by Dan Penn. Chris Gaffney
      does a really good job on this Philly soul classic (penned by Kenny
      Gamble & Leon Huff). ]

      Amy LaVere - Killing Him - Anchors & Anvils - Archer Records*
      [ Coming out next Tuesday (5/15). Produced by Jim Dickinson. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Chuck Prophet - Apology - The Hurting Business - Hightone

      Steve Wynn & The Miracle 3 - Ambassador Of Soul - Static
      Transmission - DBK Works
      [ I still think this is my favorite Steve Wynn album. Anybody
      reading this who owns a copy of this and is feeling down should pull
      it out now, put on "Amphetamine", & turn it up really loud. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Concrete Blonde - Ghost Of A Texas Ladies' Man - Walking In London -
      I.R.S.
      [ Johnette Napolitano will be appearing at the Blueberry Hill
      Duck Room on Thursday (May 31). ]

      Kirsty MacColl - Here Comes That Man Again - Tropical Brainstorm -
      Instinct
      [ A love song for the 21st century. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Clientele - Isn't Life Strange - God Save The Clientele - Merge*
      [ Case in point - there is just too much music to keep track
      of. I've never heard the Clientele before. This is right up my
      alley. Beautifully crafted indie-pop. Nobody tells me anything. ]

      Shannon Wright - Everybody's Got Their Own Part To Play - Let In The
      Light - Quarter Stick*
      [ I just got this and haven't heard much of it, yet. Most of
      what I've heard sounds really sparse but strings and keyboards are
      used to really nice effect. This track stood out right away. I'm
      going to have to figure out if the vocals will grow on me, however. ]

      Malcolm Middleton - A Brighter Beat - A Brighter Beat - Full Time
      Hobby*
      [ Only available as an import at this time. If you are a Malcolm
      Middleton enthusiast, you will really like this. I sure do. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick, & Tich - Hold Tight - Death Proof ST -
      Warner Bros*
      [ A listener called in and said this sounded like a cross
      between the Beatles & the Dave Clark Five. This UK pop group
      recorded in the 60s. Bit of trivia from AMG: "Formed as Dave Dee &
      the Bostons, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich were led by vocalist
      Dee (born: David Harman), an ex-policeman who had been at the scene
      of the automobile accident that took the life of American rocker
      Eddie Cochran and injured Gene Vincent in April 1960. Dee had taken
      Cochran's guitar from the accident and held it until it could be
      returned to his family." It looks like this band recorded 9 or 10
      albums together. And, somehow, I never heard of them until this
      soundtrack. Ken from Cockeysville says dialogue in the movie states
      that Pete Townsend almost became a member of this band. ]

      Detroit Cobras - Green Light - Tied & True - Bloodshot*
      [ Great cover of a song originally recorded by The Equals. When
      I saw the Detroit Cobras in March, it was half great, half train-
      wreck, and never boring. No train wreck aspect to this recording,
      however. Definitely recommended. ]

      Clash - Julie's Been Working For The Drug Squad - Give 'Em Enough
      Rope - Epic

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Andrew Bird - Heretics - Armchair Apocrypha - Fargo
      [ Holy Toledo, how did I miss this before? If the rest of the
      album is anywhere as good as this track, this is going to be one of
      the best releases of 2007. ]

      T-Bone Burnett - It's Not Too Late - Twenty Twenty - Columbia / DMZ
      [ Not a bad backing band on this song - Jerry Douglas, Mark
      O'Connor, Edgar Meyer, Roy Huskey, Jr., & Harry Stinson. I saw Jerry
      Douglas, Mark O'Connor, & Edgar Meyer back up T-Bone Burnett in
      concert, before. Absolutely amazing. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Gentleman Auction House - Our Angry Town Runs Them Out - The Rules
      Were Handed Down - Self-Released
      [ This set features three bands playing tonight at KDHX Midwest
      Mayhem. See them and many more. Information is at www.kdhx.org ]

      Miles Of Wire - Funny Feeling - Can You Feel It? - Miles Of Music
      [ If you miss them tonight, Miles Of Wire will be appearing
      Saturday (May 19th) at Off Broadway as part of the Two Cow Garage and
      Grand Champeen CD release party. Two CD release parties for the
      price of one admission plus Miles of Wire. For more information, go
      to http://offbroadwaystl.com ]

      Bob Reuter & Kamikaze Cowboy - Charlie Floyd - Down In America - Magoo
      [ Any discussion of the best ten songs written by St. Louis
      artists during the last ten years ought to include this song. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Merry-Go-Round - Live - "Listen, Listen" -

      Danny & Dusty - Last Of The Only Ones - Cast Iron Soul - Blue Rose*

      Doug Sahm & The Sir Douglas Quintet - Mendocino - Doug Sahm & The Sir
      Douglas Quintet - Hip-O Select

      Timmy Thomas - Have Some Boogaloo - The Return Of Mod Jazz - Kent
      [ This song was originally recorded on Goldwax Records in 1967.
      Great funk/soul organ workout. Goldwax was another label out of
      Memphis responsible for some terrific soul and R&B tracks. ]

      James Brown - Shout & Shimmy - The Singles Vol 2 - 1960 to 1963 - Hip-
      O Select*
      [ Any James Brown fan should love this new 2-CD set which
      features every A & B side of every single he released on King from
      1960-1963. Lots of gems on the b-sides, as well. ]