Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: Clip: Gunther Schuller goes the distance for Mingus

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2007
      He seemed quite active last night in Cleveland -- was a little slow going up
      and down the podium (he is in his early 80s) but ably conducted and
      introduced a wonderful two-hour (plus 20-minute intermission) performance of
      Epitaph. We had always loved the recording of the 1989 performance (Jen has
      said it is her favorite piece of music), but hearing it in person brought
      new details to the amazingly rich and dense (but never muddled)
      compositions. It was spectacular. Schuller was in good spirits and was
      tickled when we gushed and thanked him for bringing the show to Cleveland at
      the end of the night.

      The four-city tour concludes with shows in Los Angeles and Chicago next
      week, and details are available at <http://mingusmingusmingus.com/>. I urge
      anyone nearby with passing interest in Mingus, jazz or 20th-century
      classical music to come out and see one of these rare performances.

      Carl Z.