Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on April 19, 2007

  • jwmoosefan2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2007
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on April 19, 2007

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      The Dirtbombs - Underdog - Ultraglide In Black - In The Red
      [ Welcome to week #1 of the KDHX Spring Membership Drive.
      Thanks to everybody who called in to pledge and to all of the phone
      volunteers. Also, thanks to Nico for the omelette preparation.
      Finally, thanks to Roy Kasten from Feel Like Going Home for being a
      terrific guest host. If you want to pledge to Memphis To Manchester,
      you'll have one more chance next Thursday. Even with all of the
      talking that takes place during pledge drive, we still played 25
      songs in a two-hour period. Contrast that to the 150 different songs
      a commercial radio station plays in an entire week. ]

      Sly & The Family Stone - Dance To The Music - Dance To The Music -
      Sony BMG
      [ Sony BMG just remastered and added bonus material and liner
      essays to this Epic release which came out in 1968. ]

      Cold Grits - It's Your Thing - What It Is! - Rhino

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Detroit Cobras - Leave My Kitten Alone - Tied & True - Bloodshot*
      [ This release comes out next Tuesday (4/24). The Detroit
      Cobras will making a St. Louis appearance at the Creepy Crawl on
      Monday (8/27). Sure, it's four months away but it's never too early
      to plan. Fine version of the Little Willie John song. Meooowww. ]

      Little Willie John - I'm Shakin' - Fever - Rhino
      [ OK, now it was time to hear Little Willie John. The first
      version of this song I ever heard was done by the Blasters. This is
      the original and came out in 1959 on King Records. As Phil Alvin
      says..."I'm so jittery." ]

      The Greenhornes w/ Holly Golightly - There Is An End - Dual Mono -
      Telstar
      [ The feel of this song is just so good. I was glad to hear
      this song featured so prominently in the "Broken Flowers" movie. I'm
      telling you, this song should have been a hit. Maybe, if they use it
      in an iPod commercial. ]

      Booker T. & The MGs - Groovin' - Time Is Tight - Stax
      [ Sure, having Booker T. & The MGs cover the Rascals in the
      background was pretty cool but all I could hear was the smooth &
      dulcet sounds of Roy Kasten extolling the many virtues of KDHX. Food
      for thought: If Roy Kasten sang an Alejandro Escovedo song and had
      background female vocalists, then it would be Roy Kasten & The
      Kastenettes singing Castanets. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Son Volt - The Picture - The Search - Transmit Sound*
      [ Appearing this Saturday night (4/21) at the Pageant. Opening
      are the Magnolia Electric Company. I don't plan on missing this
      show. ]

      The Impressions - It's All Right - Definitive Impressions - Kent
      [ It has become a pledge drive tradition for M2M to always
      include this song. Why stop now? I never, and I mean never, get tired
      of this song. ]

      Billy Preston - Billy's Bag - Soul Derby: Complete Vee-Jay
      Recordings 1964-65 - Vampisoul

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Hold Steady - Citrus - Live At Fingerprints - Vagrant*
      [ Brand new 5-song live acoustic release available in select
      record stores.
      "Lost in fog and love and faith was fear
      and I've had kisses that make Judas seem sincere." ]

      Alejandro Escovedo - Irene Wilde - Bourbonitis Blues - Bloodshot
      [ Wonderful version of the Ian Hunter-penned song. Alejandro
      Escovedo recorded this in 1999. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      The Zutons - Valerie - Tired of Hanging Around - Deltasonic
      [ This was one of my favorite 2006 singles. I heard it for the
      first time on Steve Pick's "Sound Salvation" show & have loved it
      ever since. Amy Winehouse has been doing a cover of this in some of
      her live shows. ]

      Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good - Back To Black - Universal*
      [ Alright, I'm trying not to burn people out with Amy Winehouse
      but this song just grooves, mightily, with ample assistance from some
      of the Dap-Kings. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Belle & Sebastian - The Blues Are Still Blue - The Life Pursuit by
      Belle & Sebastian - Matador
      [ This sounds like it could be a T. Rex song. ]

      T. Rex - Jeepster - Electric Warrior - A & M
      [ This one really sounds like it could be a T. Rex song. ]

      Los Straitjackets - Dane Una Sena - Rock En Espanol - Vol. 1 - Yep
      Roc*
      [ OK, this release isn't going to change the world or anything
      but if you can't get some enjoyment out of it, you might want to
      consider enrolling in "Curmudgeon Of The Highest Order" camp. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Sam Phillips - Five Colors - Fan Dance - Nonesuch
      [ This one also features Gillian Welch on bass and backing
      vocals. I came across this Sam Phillips quote on the internet: "Sam
      tells a funny story about her young daughter. According to Sam, she
      and Simone were listening to Bob Dylan. "Simone hadn't heard Bob
      Dylan before, and she asked, 'Mommy, is that God singing?' I
      asked, 'Simone, why would you think that?' And she answered, 'Because
      his voice is funny, but it doesn't make me laugh.' I thought, Whoa,
      this one's gonna be a pistol." ]

      Camera Obscura - Shine Like A New Pin - biggest bluest hi-fi -
      Merge
      [ One of these days I'm going to get Steve Pick to cave and see
      the brilliance of this Scottish pop band. This is from their first
      album recorded in 2001. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Nick Lowe - Love's Got A Lot To Answer For - At My Age - Yep Roc*
      [ This album is slated for a June 26 release. Nick Lowe is
      singing as well as he ever has on this release. Highly recommended. ]

      James Brown - Any Day Now - Burt Bacharach Songbook - Polydor*
      [ This collection features lots of versions of Burt Bacharach
      songs I've never heard before. It comes with all the liner notes in
      Japanese and the full title of the release is "Lippy Lip Bacharach --
      Burt Bacharach Songbook." Lippy lip? Beats the hell out of me.
      Includes versions of Burt Bacharach songs by Sophia Loren, Lyn
      Collins, Astrud Gilberto, Jimmy Smith, Wes Montgomery, and many
      more. This James Brown recording originally came out in 1969 on
      his "It's A Mother" album. Trust me -- this one scorches. I'm going
      to have to give it the coveted "Holy Freakin' Toledo" designation. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Bottle Rockets - Smokin' 100's Alone - 24 Hours A Day - Atlantic
      [ The Bottle Rockets will be appearing tonight (4/19) and Friday
      (4/20) at the Lucas School House. They will be recording the shows
      for a live CD release. This is being billed as "An Acoustic Evening
      With The Bottle Rockets" & these will be sit-down shows for the taped
      audience. Tickets for both nights are sold out or almost sold out so
      you might want to call before making the trek down there. Contact
      info is available at http://www.lucasevents.com ]

      Faces - Glad & Sorry - Ooh La La - Warner Bros
      [ Just a sublime song by the late, great Ronnie Lane. Perfect,
      really. ]

      -------- - -------- - -------- - --------

      Mynah Birds - It's My Time - The Complete Motown Singles: Vol 6 -
      1966 - Motown / Hip-O Select
      [ This compilation features every A & B side of very single
      recorded for Motown in 1966. This single was never released. The
      Mynah Birds ended almost as quickly as they began but this fine
      garage rock song is notable because it features Rick James on vocals
      and a 12-string guitar solo by Neil Young. Yes, Rick James and Neil
      Young were in a band together, albeit, for a short time. ]

      Bel Cantos - Feel Aw Right - Pt 1 - It Came From The Garage - Big
      Beat*
      [ This new release features Southern California garage rock
      recorded in the sixties at Downey Records. This song was arranged by
      and features the piano playing of Barry White. Yep, Barry White
      playing garage rock. That's him exhorting the other band members
      to "get soul" during the song. ]