EMP Pop Conference in Seattle next week

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2007
      I will be amongst the scholars, journalists, and music nerds
      presenting at the conference next weekend. The conference program is
      up at: <http://www.emplive.org/education/index.asp?categoryID=26>.
      Admission, as the clip mentions, is free.

      <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/2003664217_emp13.html>
      Music
      Pop goes the EMP conference

      Jonathan Lethem, whose writing prominently features music, is the
      keynote speaker at the 2007 Pop Conference. (See the review of
      Lethem's "You Don't Love Me Yet" on Page 37.)

      Free this year, the conference takes as its theme "Waking Up From
      History: Music, Time and Place." A brainy but giddy gathering of
      scholars, journalists and music nerds, the conference vibe ranges from
      over-analyzed academic ("Anticipating the Re-Emergence of the
      Pre-Temperate Aboriginal Drone Form as the Root and Dominant Figure in
      Rock Music") to extreme trivia ("The Secret History of Montana
      Postpunk"), with some chewy sections in between. (See the story by
      music critic Patrick MacDonald in Sunday's Entertainment & the Arts
      section). The confab opens with a reception at 5 p.m. Thursday and
      runs through 12:45 p.m. next Sunday at Experience Music Project, 325
      Fifth Ave. N., Seattle (free; 206-367-5483 or www.emplive.org).
      Register in advance (advised) by e-mailing education@....

      — Paul de Barros,